Nascar Mid-Ohio - Controversial last lap / corner pass for the win

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Nascar Mid-Ohio - Controversial last lap / corner pass for the win

Clean Racing (for Nascar) or dirty move?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...racing-review/

Stock car racing on road courses is rare, and stock car races on road courses with strange, wonderful fields of one-off drivers in competitive cars are even rarer​. Yesterday's race at Mid-Ohio was a shining example of such lunacy, and the win came down to a fight between former IndyCar driver Alex Tagliani in his lone race of the year for Roger Penske and former Sprint Cup Series driver Regan Smith of JR Motorsports, as strange-comma-wonderful a duel as you could ask for.

It was heated, too. Smith trailed Tagliani on the last restart and, for a while, it looked like he had no shot at him. Heading into the course's final braking zone, however, Tagliani made a mistake, and it allowed Smith to catch up to the Penske Ford's bumper at just the right time. He pushed gently, enough to move the car, which he likely would have made contact with either way, off the racing line but not enough to spin it or force it off track, and he took the lead in time to win the race.

It was a picture-perfect contact-aided pass, the sort of thing normally celebrated in NASCAR. Though it seemed entirely fair game given the situation, a completely respectable move to win a race in a series that won't penalize you if you were to just spin someone around on the last lap for the fun of it, there was some backlash. You can watch it here and make up your own mind, but by NASCAR standards, I find it anything but dirty.

Smith is still reeling from the ground he lost in the championship hunt after being spun from third on a restart by Ty Dillon, sitting 26 points behind he and Chase Elliott in the championship and a full 51 behind series leader Chris Buescher. The Xfinity Series convenes again in Bristol next weekend before returning to road courses at Road America in two weeks.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I watch and follow NASCAR and thought it was a pretty dirty move.

There are certain instances at short tracks where passing is near impossible without a little nudge here and there when the trailing car has pace over the leading car.

This was not moving a slower car up the hill to get through...this was a pretty blatant punt in my opinion. Just because the leader didn't spin does't mean it was a clean move.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Delerate (by his own admission) contact resulting in a change of position. Dirty move/punt.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Looks to me like Tagliani got in a little hot, applied more brake and Smith punted him. Look at the overhead shot. Tag is out a little. I would think he would have been hugging the inside. Looks like Smith would have had enough room to stick his nose in and make it side by side by the time they hit the front straight. Would love to see what the data and in car video say, but I think Tag missed his marks and pushed out a little.

That said, the road course ringers rarely if ever get to win a race since NASCAR doesn't want and Indycar or sportscar driver ringers beating the regulars. We see it every year on the road courses. Ringers get wrecked, and if they get too far ahead, out comes a yellow. Then they get wrecked/punted on the restart. This is of course just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch the right front in replay. Tagliani got in a little too hot, locked up the right front, and pushed up the hill. Smith leaned on him just enough to keep Tagliani from turning the wheel. It was a brilliant race move. Clean and fair.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Dirty move in my opinion, but he's racing for a living and wasn't penalized by NASCAR so I guess it was the right move for him. Tagliani needs to learn some of Joerg Bergmeister's moves.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:55 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty average stuff if you compare to anything done in British or World Touring Car and/or Aussie V8 Supercars. He moved him out of the way and didn't do any significant damage or ruin his race. Simply moved him over to steal the spot. Definitely in the gray area as far as fairness, but on the last lap, at a place that can be tough to pass on; I say its ok. Not that my opinion means anything. If I were in front and got moved I'd be pissed, but if I were behind and that was my only option I'd do the same thing.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally normal in NASCAR. If you are in the lead on the final lap of a NASCAR road course you will get 'rubbed' on the final slow corner of the lap every single time.

That being said, it's crap racing IMO. However go to any saturday night short track around you and you will see them doing it every single lap. They are good at it. They are used to it. Us roadracers are not as good at it and far from used to it.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

dirty move.... and he basically admits in the first 10 seconds of the interview by saying "I hate doing it like that last corner"

that means on purpose to me. doing what it takes to get the win including a little shove where it counted most
Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

My wife's company sponsors one of the backmarker cars so I watched the M-O race. I admit it was the first NASCRAP race I've watched in many many years. The dirty move by the 2nd place driver ( I won't call him a racer) in the Carousel on the last lap aside, it reminded me why I don't watch NASCRAP: all too frequent and occasionally contrived full course cautions to bunch up the entire field, especially towards the end of the race, and the antiquated technology primarily with engines.

The apparently acceptable (by NASCAR) dirty move at the end just cemented my lack of interest. It makes for a series that's more like pro-wrestling than professional motorsports.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
The apparently acceptable (by NASCAR) dirty move at the end just cemented my lack of interest. It makes for a series that's more like pro-wrestling than professional motorsports.
You must not watch any touring car racing then. This is common practice in British Touring Car and World Touring Car. They make a Nascar road course look like childs' play. The only disconnect is that FCY are very rare in Touring Car where Nascar throws them if the wind gusts too strongly. I might be the oddball in this discussion. If they're not causing mayhem then have at it.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

If the sanctioning body allows it, then it's clean and fair.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
You must not watch any touring car racing then. This is common practice in British Touring Car and World Touring Car. They make a Nascar road course look like childs' play. The only disconnect is that FCY are very rare in Touring Car where Nascar throws them if the wind gusts too strongly. I might be the oddball in this discussion. If they're not causing mayhem then have at it.

All I said was if it's an acceptable practice in NASCAR then it cements my lack of interest in the series.

Last edited by David993S; 08-17-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Tag shouldn't have let him get that close or should have expected it and brake checked him before turn in to make sure he could get away from him in the corner.
What's good for the goose....
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cory M
Dirty move in my opinion, but he's racing for a living and wasn't penalized by NASCAR so I guess it was the right move for him. Tagliani needs to learn some of Joerg Bergmeister's moves.

Corvette Vs Porsche Exciting GT2 finish at Laguna Seca - YouTube
+1

Quick Reply: Nascar Mid-Ohio - Controversial last lap / corner pass for the win