Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me - 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I open the gear box every winter and replace items as needed, also replace pressure plate, clutch disk ,axels & bearings every 40hrs, shocks every two years, with uprights and control arms ever two or sooner. A 6 cup can be over kill for DE, but does not stop us, you just have to play nice.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
Anyway, aside from the running cost debate what do I need to know?
Don't money shift.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Only in an event like David Murry, Cups and Saucers, or the NRPCA advanced events (for example) would it be any fun...
Wasn't aware that DM and C&S events were faster than well driven Red/Black PCA run groups. Probably should check them out. What's NRPCA?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Wasn't aware that DM and C&S events were faster than well driven Red/Black PCA run groups. Probably should check them out. What's NRPCA?
Open track, no point bys at DMTD. That's the big difference.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Exactly.

IMHO a Cup car is generally overkill for a traditional DE.

Only in an event like David Murry, Cups and Saucers, or the NRPCA advanced events (for example) would it be any fun...
Totally agree. This will be about the most frustrating car to run at a DE that you can imagine. I've used DEs to sort the car and can tell you it is not a wise use of your or the other guys time in a DE. Open track or test&tune marginal, but not a point by event.

Waiting for slicks to come up to temp holding everyone else up and then riding tail for the rest of the session waiting for a point by is just a waste or really expensive fuel, rubber and hours.

I would take the specbox, you'll have more fun.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Open track, no point bys at DMTD. That's the big difference.
Ah, missed the July 14-15 DMTD event at NJMP Thunderbolt. Didn't realize they were so rare. Thx for the heads up -- will be better prepared for next year.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Guys, can you run a 6cup for track days on softer springs, Nittos/Hoosiers, and with "anchor" ATE Cayenne rotors -- pretty much like a gutted 6gt3? The running costs should be equal if not much smaller than a much heavier 6gt3, no?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

NRPCA is the Niagara Region PCA which holds some "Advanced DE" events where drivers are split into two runs groups based on some approximation of laps times (high/low Hp, prepared/street). This is not a traditional instructed DE, you must be able to drive solo although some "coaching" is available.

As you consider a Cup for DE be aware that getting clean laps in a traditional DE event can be a constant frustration and that you must tell yourself to back off and be courteous. This does not mean you can not have a great time, you just need to adjust your expectations. (Plenty of street cars will pull you on the straights but, then hold you up in the corners). Group 52, Kojote and similar are probably more fun for most Cup guys.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Fair enough, and I understand. However, horsepower and mechanical grip (which the Cup has in spades & which the cars holding you up in the corners also have) can cover a LOT of mistakes...
technique is found and mastered in Spec boxsters, o rother momentum cars. go get a sPB, and get it within 1 second of the track record or set new track records, THEN, you'lhave technique and be able to hold great speed through turns, not over braking, things coming at you at the appropriate speeds, dip a toe over the max line now and then and you probably dont get punished too badly. and then when you jump in a cup , you'll be really fast, with a very short time to adjust to the horsepower and g-forces.
and mistakes in cups come really quickly. you have it, you have it, and in a blink you've lost it without any chance of getting it back. call me nuts, but whenever im in a cup its thrilling but also very high anxiety. when im in a spec boxster, its all smiles and fun. yes, you have to stomach faster class cars usually getting by you, but i can stomach that.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ted in Rochester
NRPCA is the Niagara Region PCA which holds some "Advanced DE" events where drivers are split into two runs groups based on some approximation of laps times (high/low Hp, prepared/street). This is not a traditional instructed DE, you must be able to drive solo although some "coaching" is available.
Other regions run "advanced DE" events like these (definitely CVR) but the sessions are not much different from a Black/Red session on a "standard" DE day. "Advanced DE" typically means there will be no instructed run groups that day and instructors can relax and just enjoy driving.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

All excellent input and very much appreciated. I'm open to other car suggestions. I would like something with a few more ponies than my SPB ( just sold), Give me some suggestions that would be good to advance my technique, be fun at DE and open track days. I did the David Murray at Sebring this Jan in my SPB and it was not fun. Way too much horse power out there - spent more time in the rearview than the windshield. Should I be looking at a street GT3, H class 996, Cayman???
Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted in Rochester

As you consider a Cup for DE be aware that getting clean laps in a traditional DE event can be a constant frustration and that you must tell yourself to back off and be courteous. This does not mean you can not have a great time, you just need to adjust your expectations. (Plenty of street cars will pull you on the straights but, then hold you up in the corners). Group 52, Kojote and similar are probably more fun for most Cup guys.
Yup

Also Chin's top group and PBOC SuperSolo are good places for high HP cars and decent no-train drivers.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:22 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

All excellent input and very much appreciated. I'm open to other car suggestions. I would like something with a few more ponies than my SPB ( just sold), Give me some suggestions that would be good to advance my technique, be fun at DE and open track days. I did the David Murray at Sebring this Jan in my SPB and it was not fun. Way too much horse power out there - spent more time in the rearview than the windshield. Should I be looking at a street GT3, H class 996, Cayman???
i really like the caymans as well. had 2 or 3 of them. had a interseries car which i didnt love. was expensive but i didnt like the spec or cage. then had a world challenge cayman which was super nice, as fast as a 996 cup maybe as fast as a 997.1 cup but was a costly-to-build car, cheaper to maintain.
sebring is a tough car in a spb, mainly because of a few long straights where time ticks by, and where high HP takes over. if you look at time differentials between spb and GTA2 its huge massive. at LRP, its big, but not that kind of big. at LRP, NJMP, the SPB is fun because its a grip and momentum track, more so than at sebring. i would go with a cayman, they are pretty nice. and yo ucan usually find some nicely built machines that people put a ton of money into making great, and then decided to move to something else. i think rumbum has a killer 3.8L cayman all decked out for WC for cheap monies relative to build.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Should I be looking at a street GT3, H class 996, Cayman???
If you're only going to be tracking for the next couple of years, then a street 996 GT3 would be my choice. You could drive it to most tracks even with a set-up aggressive enough to keep you in the fastest 5% of any Red/Black PCA run groups. Plus it will be the closest to a 6cup (practically a gutted 6gt3) when you decide to move into one for racing -- and there's a good chance you may sell it two years later for more than you pay for it now. Just get one with its coolant pipes welded or get them welded yourself.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Ah, missed the July 14-15 DMTD event at NJMP Thunderbolt. Didn't realize they were so rare. Thx for the heads up -- will be better prepared for next year.
still plenty of time to hit VIR. one of the best tracks in the country; even better without peak summer heat.

http://www.davidmurry.com/event-regi...tional-raceway

Quick Reply: Educate me - 996 Cup