Tire pressure and gauge accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:11 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

amen

Originally Posted by JP66
I have another hobby where I write for magazines and one topic I cover frequently is testing of parameters. The fact is that all instruments have error and unless you purchase an instrument with a certified accuracy (and often no such "certification" exists) you really don't know what's what.Having said all that I will contrast that with a simple fact: multiple readings from different cheap gauges that are then averaged can usually give readings as accurate as an expensive instrument.

Point is: even a $300 gauge can be off if it doesn't have some type of "certification" but multiple readings from different cheap gauges that have been averaged will normally provide equal or better input. Plus if you know the variance in a given gauge you can account for that, Trouble is most instruments used for measurements of any kind will vary considerably depending on conditions.

Never rely on a single reading if the result is important to your success.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
No, other way around. They are there to indicate the location of the DOT mandated 2/32 wear bars. While some may have found them helpful in dialing in certain tires, that is not the original purpose. Also, not all tires use the triangle indicator, some use TWI (Tread Wear Indicator), Michelin uses a little Michelin Man pointer. - Aren't they cute? If the purpose was to be used as a tool to judge the ideal contact & tread use, than I'm clueless on how to adjust my truck's tires.

Not going to get into semantics with you. I just shared a technique that has worked for me, and many others, for years. I can quote hundreds of links to folks who have found this same technique works well for them. Your mileage may vary. I only speak from my personal experiences over the past 13 years. If you have any info/experience/techniques to share, let's have 'em.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Yes, but wet from a compressor is wet all the time. Having worked in body shops (were moisture is a problem) and other places, compressors make lots of water regardless of the ambient humidity. Some more info on making compressed air dry https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yBvMjzkR7JSIEw
Dew points matter.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Not going to get into semantics with you. I just shared a technique that has worked for me, and many others, for years. I can quote hundreds of links to folks who have found this same technique works well for them. Your mileage may vary. I only speak from my personal experiences over the past 13 years. If you have any info/experience/techniques to share, let's have 'em.
It's not semantics. It is the intended purpose of the marks. No tire manufacturer put the wear indicator marks on the tire intending them to be used as max roll over indicators. So, for this purpose, they may be in a good spot or they not be.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ Exactly! Thank Winders
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Any recommendations of a reasonably priced digital gauge that connects to an air compressor?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Any recommendations of a reasonably priced digital gauge that connects to an air compressor?
Not reasonable, but this will be my next gauge. http://www.intercompracing.com/digit...-185-l-en.html
Old 08-05-2015, 10:30 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Not reasonable, but this will be my next gauge. http://www.intercompracing.com/digit...-185-l-en.html
I'm looking more for home use......
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

So I'm wondering -- how can I determine if my gauges are accurate?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
There is a fixture that companies like Competition Tire (trackside support) carry that you can use. It's basically a regulated air supply with a certified, lab quality gauge attached to a shrader valve. You put your gauge on and see how it compares.

You can also use a master gauge or a known good gauge to compare yours to. I have a master gauge and then compare others to it. All of the gauges I've purchased from Longacre have been spot on.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
If you buy from Intercomp you can have them recertify the accuracy of the gauge. Don't know how much this costs but it is less than the price of a new gauge. I was told it should be done every couple of years.

http://www.intercompracing.com/calib...-services.html
Old 08-06-2015, 01:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You can also use a master gauge or a known good gauge to compare yours to. I have a master gauge and then compare others to it. All of the gauges I've purchased from Longacre have been spot on.
Well I did one thing right
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I had a pricey oil-filled Intercomp gauge that was so awful and inconsistent compared to the couple cheaper ones I had that it was completely useless. Finally, after few years, it leaked all of its oil into my garage drawer and made a complete mess of the tools and other stuff there which was a pain to clean up. I don't think I'll be getting another oil-filled Intercomp gauge any time soon.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

This thread is really old...but this morning in absolute anger (once every ~7 years), I placed my Longacre oil filled highly inaccurate POS gage in the vice, and cranked the vice and squeezed the juice out of it. I then placed this POS in the trash can.

Hence, why I am reading the thread as I will be buying a digitial gauge.

Will be Intecomp digital...
Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Gee -- Igooz seems to have temper issues.

But I bet it was fun squeezing the life out of that lousy Longacre gauge.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure and gauge accuracy