Sponsored by:

PCA Club Racing Questions; Stock G

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCA Club Racing Questions; Stock G

I will be attending my first Club Race in December w/ FL Crown. I have an 82 911SC G Class Stock car. I have a few questions for, if you don’t mind.

1.What is the biggest wheel I can use in my class, I thought it was 7 & 8 inches wide. At Roebling Road this past wknd some one said I may be able to use a 9 inch wheel in the rear?

2.Can the front brake cooling ducts run inside the bonnet? Not sure how I can fit the right side duct with an oil cooler?

3.Can you use nitrogen in your tires?

Thank you,

Reese
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I know items 2 & 3 are "free". As for the wheel sizes all the stock class racers I know stuff the largest rubber they can make fit and it does not seem to be an issue. There are some very quick well driven cars in G.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Re: Wheels You can usually go one inch wider than the largest wheels the car came with from the factory. If you car was delivered with 7 and 8's you would be fine with 9 inch rear wheels.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

the car came w/ 6's & 7's....so i though 7&8's....but i was told that it was a factory option to get that car with 7&8's...which means i can use 9's...that's the confusion now.....?????
Old 09-15-2003, 04:47 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to G!

1) someone told you right: 7/8" wheels were optional, so you can use 8/9s. any height. Some G racers fit truly heroic rubber under those stock fenderwells, I've seen 245/275s. You have to grind off the lips, (rolling won't suffice) and grind flat the rear swing arm bolts, and even then bring a couple "sponsor" stickers for where the paint burns off... Worth noting that guys with 7/8s run up front with the guys using 8/9s so my personal thinking as I wind up my rookie year (read: _not_ running up front) with 7/8s is not to switch anytime soon.

2) What do you mean by this? Surely not cutting into the tub and then the inner front fender? folks with the common IROC or similar nose use hoses cable- tied to the A arm, although I am going to try Smart Racings bazooka tube set up because I am tired of replacing smashed hose. Others use the inverted periscope style vent sold by OG or AJ USA. either seem to work fine.

3) lots of folks use nitrogen.

Main things on keeping a G car legal: Keep it stock. You can remove AC and heater exchanger goes when you add header, but must keep heater blower and all hoses. Got busted for this of all things at last scrut. Don't mess with compression; it's the easiest way to get more power and so eventually it'll be checked.

Brandon
911SC G #77
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Reesestewww
Advanced

thanks for the tips!

actually i am thinking of going through the tub. I have see it many times. If there is a better way i am totally open to it. here is my dilemma.....
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2003, 10:20 AM
James Achard
Pro

Might I suggest ditching the fender oil cooler. I just installed a front mount oil cooler and removed my fender one and have no problems with cooling. Plus you can then sell the fender mounted one!

Cheers, James
Old 09-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Al P.
Pro

Not being a 911 driver/owner and having little knowledge of same, should those braided steel oil lines (I assume that's what they are) be running inside the front fender lip?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Geez you've managed to get some nice camber up front. :-)

Anyhow: I've just never seen holes cut in the tub in the stock classes and can't really picture it, but I can't see anything in the rules precluding it other than the "if it isn't mentioned it isn't allowed" catchall. It would certainly reduce the maintenance on the cooling hoses which is high.

Seems like otherwise you've got two options, move the fender cooler or use the periscope style devices.

On the fender cooler, what James said: why do you need it since looks like you also have a front cooler . On both my current G car and it's predecessor the front cooler was more than sufficient.
On the other hand, you could consider using _only_ the fender cooler, and designing a smooth nose. The slickest (pun intended) G nose I've seen is Ernie Jablowski's (sp?)car: he uses a 964 nose with the horizontal slits filled in and a giant splitter, for a totally clean, no holes nose. I suspect this is as good as it gets relative to minimizing airflow under the car. He uses just the fender oil cooler. Then again he lives in Canada, not FL. But I _like_ that nose, I suspect most of our replica pieces from the 70's ignore an awful lot of what is now understood about reducing lift.

Your second option is use the inverted periscope style coolers that just hang off the A arms. Lots of folks use them. Just make sure they have a screen over the opening since this area is more prone to scooping up pebbles than the IROC openings. In fact a screen is a good idea on the IROC nose too since you are routing debris right into the eye of the rotor.
One of these days I'll have to do that...

Brandon
Old 09-16-2003, 01:05 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me get this straight: You can run and aftermarket oil cooler in any position. Here is my dilema. I am building a D stock 965. The stock oil cooler was damaged in a crash. Rather than get another stock oil cooler, I thought about getting an aftermarket oil cooler and placing it in an area with more direct airflow. Would this be legal?

Justin
965 track
930 street
Old 09-16-2003, 03:25 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Yes.

Stock Rules-Classes A thru K,
1. Engine
H. Oil coolers are free

B
Old 09-16-2003, 04:41 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Now that the rulebook is open, I searched some more about this idea of routing ducting through the tub. Reese you should confirm that the other cars you saw with this set up were letter cars, and if so, were they running as prepared. BC section 6 Body/chassis of prepared, part A. allows "ducting for extra coolers provided it doesn't change size and shape of body panels." I might infer from the presence of this language in the "Prepared" section that altering panels in stock is a violation of the stock 6.A. removal or substitution of components.... is not allowed.

So curious to hear whether what you have seen are stock/prepared/or GT...
B
Old 09-16-2003, 04:46 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

I have not seen it done in a "stock" car, but i have seen it done. That's why i was inquiring if it could be done in stock class.

Im going to reseach using 8's or 9's in the back. there not cheap fuchs to buy so i want to make (what i thinki is) the right decision....any more input. I know right of the top of my head is the possibilty of the 9's fitting. as we know, every car is different. i think 8's would be a safer choice....

thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 05:32 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

I think making 9s fit can be problematic again depending on what size tire you mount up. you can use 245s on back with either an 8 or 9 inch wheel likely with no problems. But the major benefit of a 9 inch wheel would be in big rubber making a wider track. and that will require some custom fitting. However, many G cars here in the north east run the 8/9 combination, usually w/17" wheels. They just get creative with the grinder. In terms of cost Forgelines seem pretty reasonable of the serious racing wheels. I am sticking with 7/8 fuchs just because it is such a good wheel, reasonably plentiful, and I am not yet to the stage where I am looking for the last .5 seconds!
B
Old 09-16-2003, 05:40 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to buy the 9" fuch, you might as well buy the 9" X 17" in a race wheel. Run a 275x40x17 rear and 245x40x17 front hoosiers (get the new compound)... fastest setup available.

Mitch

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing Questions; Stock G