Sponsored by:

Proper side mirror position for passing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper side mirror position for passing

I do DEs and sometimes have trouble getting back to the line after passing. I have trouble locating the other car and knowing for sure that it is clear and safe to shift over. How do you experienced racers set up the mirrors? I'm referring to the simple in-car adjustment of the side mirros. I'm going to start adjusting them at track events but these situations are rare. I would like a good starting point. Also, an explanation of the references you look for and why when completing a pass would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-14-2003, 09:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

You should be able to see the corner of your car after you tilt your head from side to side. This is more open than the norm but it covers more effectively blind spots. It takes some getting used to but once you get used to it its great.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I put mine as far out to the side as possible, so that the inner edge of the mirror just overlaps the outer edge of the rearview. Gives the widest composite field of view possible. I also use this on the street. Disorients the heck out of anyone else that gets in one of my cars, but I find it safest.

As far as when you can safely get over, well, same references as on the street, at least starting out - you should be able to see the front bumper of the other car in your rearview. After all, you're not racing, so you shouldn't be passing in turns, and you don't need to be that close either.

Quick Reply: Proper side mirror position for passing