Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: IF RULE DISALLOWING REMOTE RES SHOX IN PCA STOCK CLASSES PASSES WILL YOU :
BUY NEW SHOX TO COMPLY
12.00%
MOVE UP A LETTER & RACE PREPARED
36.00%
SWITCH & RACE WITH ANOTHER ORGANIZATION ( NASA, etc.) ,
52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : FOR THOSE CURRENTLY RACING WITH REMOTE RES SHOX IN PCA STOCK CLASSES

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:25 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Greg, do you realize that you have the 4th fastest E class lap time at Road America? And actually the 2nd fastest lap time is also in a 944S2?

2:34.2: Hupfer (Euro SC)
2:34.9: Martinson (944S2)
2:35.0: Buckley (Euro SC)
2:35.1: You
Yep. It was a good lap. But I probably have over 250 track days there.

And I lose 2-3 spots on every start, even with a good jump.

Anecdotal stories are just that; anecdotal, but they are good stories in any case. In 2013, I was coming up to lap an E-class 911 at the end of the Road America enduro. I was lapping 3 seconds per lap faster than the 911 (best times were 2:36.465 vs. 2:40.103). On multiple occasions I was able to pass the 911 in the back section of the track (T12), only to have the 911 just drive around me between turn 14 and turn 5. With a 3 second advantage it should not have been that easy.

Also, you may have seen the HP/Torgue curves posted on Rennlist from a Buckley Euro 911SC showing 210.2 HP at the rear wheels. The last dyno numbers I have on my car are about 200HP and my torque curve was no where near as flat. Roughly a 5% advantage.

And, the 911SC Euro and the 911 Carrera enjoy a 380 lbs. and 303 lbs. advantage respectively (the S2 being 14% and 11% heavier).

Based on registration numbers, I'm not the only one who thinks the front engine cars are at a significant disadvantage.

But who's complaining?

Greg
Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Greg

Now that is interesting.

Take out that right hand seat, and come play in the sunlight. You won't have to do much else to the car...
I'm already working on my Christmas list (and checking it twice), especially since I'm due for an engine rebuild this winter:

Remove the passenger seat
Strip the interior
Replace the rear glass
Replace the front glass
Fibre glass hood
bump the rev limiter to 7,200
punch out the cylinders to 6L
An intimidating wing and front spoiler (think UOP Shadow Can-Am car)
Nitrous in the roll cage. (Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about that! )
007-style Stinger missiles. Maybe I'm getting a little carried away?

Greg
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts
Default POLL : FOR THOSE CURRENTLY RACING WITH REMOTE RES SHOX IN PCA STOCK CLASSES

I think the current rules for stock cars are fine. I would ditch the passenger seat for safety and that could make more room to put my ballast and other accessories.

The only thing id like to see is more tech inspection and scales.

This is my 1st year of racing and i saw only 1 inspection for cayman at road atlanta. Half the field were cheating with plastic doors and other stuff. And guess what? Im 99% sure they still have them on the cars!

In stock class, they should check for TB, flash. Some cars are freaking fast in my class and E class.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Man I must have a target on...I've had the black box twice...scaled all the time...trans...chip timing...bump steer etc checks....
I think the scruits do a pretty good job of policing....

But maybe it just depends on the track etc
Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Man I must have a target on...I've had the black box twice...scaled all the time...trans...chip timing...bump steer etc checks....

No, it's just you.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts
Default POLL : FOR THOSE CURRENTLY RACING WITH REMOTE RES SHOX IN PCA STOCK CLASSES

Originally Posted by Der ABT

Really? Black box and all that stuff! Thats quite crazy! Isnt it? Thats probably what happends when your always on pole position! Ur doing a great job! Keep up the good racing!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

After 10+ years and 100's of letter class cars running remote res shocks, I'm not sure what would be gained by deciding that these are NOW a "prepared change".

The choices are: 1) If you have them, bump up a class and spend money to do all the other things needed to maintain a relative competitiveness. 2) Stay where you are and spend money on "new" stock shocks, compatible springs, compatible bars and different alignment for the new height and stiffness. Or 3) go to another racing body such as NASA or SVRA and spend money to be compliant/competitve there. 4) Add a sentence in the Rule Book allowing what has been on the grid forever.

Licensed racers need to respond to the crrules email you received so this just doesn't happen as a default decision. "Rules changes for which no objection is received are apt to be adopted, but you can't count on no one objecting to rules affecting your class."
Old 07-30-2015, 08:28 PM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
After 10+ years and 100's of letter class cars running remote res shocks, I'm not sure what would be gained by deciding that these are NOW a "prepared change".

The choices are: 1) If you have them, bump up a class and spend money to do all the other things needed to maintain a relative competitiveness. 2) Stay where you are and spend money on "new" stock shocks, compatible springs, compatible bars and different alignment for the new height and stiffness. Or 3) go to another racing body such as NASA or SVRA and spend money to be compliant/competitve there. 4) Add a sentence in the Rule Book allowing what has been on the grid forever.

Licensed racers need to respond to the crrules email you received so this just doesn't happen as a default decision. "Rules changes for which no objection is received are apt to be adopted, but you can't count on no one objecting to rules affecting your class."
Well said Brion
seems so simple ....

Quick Reply: POLL : FOR THOSE CURRENTLY RACING WITH REMOTE RES SHOX IN PCA STOCK CLASSES