Need a critique of this lap at Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, Rick, I can't be as charitable as the others. Packing up to go to Maine for a month on an island with NO cars on it, but before I go... Notes from the first thirty seconds... :12 slow shift/aimed too far right/off throttle well before race start stand (beginning of high fence) :14 where are you looking, right now? It's not clear... :15 From the camera angle, you should be MUCH closer to the cones and straighter, so you can be further left at, :16 good turn in point, but hand speed is off No throttle between :12 and :15 but you're not slowing quickly or much at all, so that needs to be tightened up, only half throttle (with the evil breathe at the mid point) from :16 to :20 EIGHT SECONDS of ambiguity! :22 no reason to be off throttle at this point, always ask the car for more. Turn earlier and make a broader arc through T3 that allows a longer apex and to end up further left at turn in for T4 :24 what apex? :25 where are you looking, right now? :27 you should be MUCH further left. Running over the darker asphalt small circular patches with left tire :29 Hands WAY too slow. Off the brakes too early, on the throttle too early, just as paseb said... That's enough for now...
Ok, now that I've mastered the first quarter of the track, what about the rest? Especially turn 9.
I know I know, you're sitting all nice and cozy on the porch in Maine. I forgive you.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TXE36
Rick, You and I are practically driving twins. I can't say I want to be constantly catching the car, but to get faster, I will need to be catching the car at least some of the time. Does this look familiar: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKUsY7J2M0k I've done better since then, 1:51.7, but it's still butta smooth. However, when I grow up I wanna drive like ShakeNBake . -Mike
Who stole all the guard rails and hills? There's hardly anything to hit.
It would freak me out to have all that run off. I've never seen such a thing.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I know I know, you're sitting all nice and cozy on the porch in Maine. I forgive you.
Not yet. Had to put in a new A/C and gas heating system in the home place this week and just now shoving off. If I AM fortunate enough to be sitting on the porch Monday afternoon, I'll post more.

FYI, T9 is the gentle left crest on the back straight. T8 is the hairpin and T10 is a heck of a lot faster than it looks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Need a critique of this lap at Tremblant

Hi Pete
No rush at all (it's just that your insight is so darned valuable).
Nothing like having to fix the house as you leave for a vacation. We had our stove at the cottage crap out the night before first renters arrived.
Joanie was a bit perturbed. Especially since I left early to pick up the just fixed race car.
Turn 10 it is. My head refuses to count that kink as a turn.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No rush at all (it's just that your insight is so darned valuable).

Turn 10 it is. My head refuses to count that kink as a turn.
Here you go.
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So this is Peter's idea of a weekend off?

-Mike
Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
So this is Peter's idea of a weekend off?

-Mike
Hahaha! Not yet where I want and need to be...
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 05:09 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Ouch. Reminds me of an episode of Married with Children where they spent the entire 4th of July stuck on a Chicago freeway.

-Mike
Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments; very constructive and on point.
Yes, I over slow and slow too early, so lots of easy opportunity there. Was my learning priority at WGI before the crash (which was unrelated). So back to it!
About those quiet hands. Agreed. I like it that way, though, as I'm pretty sure I'm not that guy that wants to be constantly catching the car. A little room between me and oblivion has its appeal �� would keep me off the podium if I was racing but fortunately I'm not.
And knowing this car lets me get a sub 2:10 at Watkins Glen and a 1:54 at Tremblant knowing I over slow lets me get away that attitude for now. We'll see if my attitude changes!
Seems like you enjoy driving easily, casually, without having to catch the car and you know your limits. As per your above comments, not sure why this thread exists. You already have your answer(s).

If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slowly. Ross Bentley

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. Mario Andretti

Last edited by GT3DE; 07-06-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Rick,

Per Clarke's comment above I guess the question is: what's your goal?

If you're happy driving the way you are then... good. Carry on. It's tidy, relaxed, and reasonably accurate re. line.

Do you want to go faster or just 'perfect' the line at your current pace?

If you want to go faster there are a lot of approaches, some of which aren't going to involve fastidious line adjustments at your current pace.

On another note, are you coming to Mosport for the DE/Club race?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Seems like you enjoy driving easily, casually, without having to catch the car and you know your limits. As per your above comments, not sure why this thread exists. You already have your answer(s).

If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slowly. Ross Bentley

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
Good thoughts (except for the 'easily and casually' part), and though I was tempted to be irritated by your 'not sure why this thread exists' I can see your point. It may be 'Rick, are you sure you want to go faster?' is a good question to ask.
The answer is yes, I'd just like to find how to do that in ways that aren't requiring me to be constantly catching the car. Would just as soon keep that in reserve.
Is the car on rails? I get it. Fast on rails is a good place for me. I am a great believer in smooth and fast. Faster and still smooth is my goal.
But that doesn't mean I can't be faster. And you folks have some good insights on how to do that.
Which is why I ask.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Rick,

Per Clarke's comment above I guess the question is: what's your goal?

If you're happy driving the way you are then... good. Carry on. It's tidy, relaxed, and reasonably accurate re. line.

Do you want to go faster or just 'perfect' the line at your current pace?

If you want to go faster there are a lot of approaches, some of which aren't going to involve fastidious line adjustments at your current pace.

On another note, are you coming to Mosport for the DE/Club race?
Hi Matt
Thanks for your insights; very helpful. Most of my opportunity (consistent with smooth and fast) is less ambiguity (thank you Peter!), later and better braking/earlier and stronger throttle. I can do a LOT better at those and I'll bet easily find a couple (or so) seconds which would suit me just fine.
Pretty happy with my line but always glad for improvements there.
No club race event for me this year, unfortunately. I hope to get back to Mosport next near with a few of my friends from the U.S. and maybe have Bill N back with us.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Rick, trust you had a good time @ Tremblant. Believe me, my heart and mind were there, especially Sunday night, sitting out back with a martini, thinking that I should be sitting over the lake behind the Coq de Montagne, sipping one of Nino's martini's, looking at the track.

Maybe next year!

Quick Reply: Need a critique of this lap at Tremblant