Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Helmet for HANS posts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015 | 04:31 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Is it ok to drill a helmet with a fiberglass shell but a CF top layer? Worried it will crack/splinter the CF top layer. I'm due for a new helmet sometime but will probably use this one till the end of the year and I want to use a HANS ASAP. My next one will have anchors pre-installed.

http://soloracer.com/zeroninez9akr.html
I don't see why not as I'm sure people drill CF helmets. BUT I'm not the manufacturer of your helmet and it's probably best to ask them 1st.
Old 07-05-2015 | 12:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I tried putting the HANS posts in with the helmet on my head and it didn't go so well.

Old 07-13-2015 | 06:29 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Got the helmet drilled, was pretty easy. I drilled a smaller pilot hole to get the 1/4" bit started. There was a bit of fiberglass left in the hole which made it a bit of a pain to thread the post into the anchor base but otherwise not too bad.

A note for anyone installing anchors. Most instructions/videos say to aim the pointy part of the anchor backwards. I found it a lot easier to anchor them backwards but downwards at an angle. When you wear the helmet your head is tilted at an angle so angling the post downwards make it easier to click the tethers in and out.
Old 07-13-2015 | 06:34 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Ideally you want the pointy end of the anchor pointing straight back when the helmet is on your head. So when the helmet is sitting on the table, the pointy end will be angled slightly downward. Sounds like you got it right.
Old 07-15-2015 | 10:05 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Ideally you want the pointy end of the anchor pointing straight back when the helmet is on your head. So when the helmet is sitting on the table, the pointy end will be angled slightly downward. Sounds like you got it right.
Right, I originally had the pointy end parallel with the table but I found that when I was wearing the helmet what felt like pushing the anchor straight back actually wasn't. Since your head is tilted at an angle you actually have to aim the point part a bit downwards in addition to pointing backwards.

Quick Reply: Drilling Helmet for HANS posts