Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trailex are nice trailers, but for the cost and convenience, I think Futura trailers take the cake nowadays. No need for ramps etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Futura's are a cool concept but they do get pretty spendy.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default AndI started this thread?

The first responder (Non-emergency) to my post said, "Who are you trying to convince?" Apparently me, and I utterly failed. I have since sold the Featherlite, then acquired a Trailex, the ramps were a pain in my lower back (Literally), sold it and about a year ago, July 2017, I purchased an ATC 20" enclosed aluminum trailer with an" escape door". No gymnastics needed to get in and out of the car. It also has spread axels, axels 1 foot for further apart than the standard trailer set up. This adds to towing stability. I also upgraded to the 16" high load level tires (E?) I run at 80 psi.

So I need to "Eat some crow" on this topic. Personally, based on my past experience with trailers, open and enclosed, I would never go back to an open trailer for reasons of security and privacy (I don't want the world to know what I am towing) long term storage, weather protection, convenience...so many reasons. But all of this does not come cheap. For the money I paid for the ATC 20' aluminum, purchased brand new, I could have bought 3 open aluminum trailers.

The downside of a 20' enclosed, they are heavy. Both my former Hallmark and my ATC weigh in at about 3,000 lbs dry. Add in the car at 3,050, were are up to 6,000 Lbs. You will need a decently powered tow vehicle to pull this load. I use a Toyota Tundra, 4.7 at 270 HP I believe. It gets the job done, but not as well as a 2500 truck.

A year later am I happy with me decision? Indeed...the enclosed route is the best for me, for others, open may be the way to go.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^ I enjoyed reading this thread about a month ago when I was shopping for a trailer… you provided some good ideas for features to look for.

Now that I’ve acquired an open Trailex, I hope to be happy with it for a couple of years. If I follow your path and move to an enclosed, so be it. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about this silly hobby of cars and tracking/racing, it’s that there’s always a desire to try something new/different every few years.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Good thing about the trailex you bought is that you won't lose much money even if you keep it 5 years before selling.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 917 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The first responder (Non-emergency) to my post said, "Who are you trying to convince?" Apparently me, and I utterly failed. I have since sold the Featherlite, then acquired a Trailex, the ramps were a pain in my lower back (Literally), sold it and about a year ago, July 2017, I purchased an ATC 20" enclosed aluminum trailer with an" escape door". No gymnastics needed to get in and out of the car. It also has spread axels, axels 1 foot for further apart than the standard trailer set up. This adds to towing stability. I also upgraded to the 16" high load level tires (E?) I run at 80 psi.

So I need to "Eat some crow" on this topic. Personally, based on my past experience with trailers, open and enclosed, I would never go back to an open trailer for reasons of security and privacy (I don't want the world to know what I am towing) long term storage, weather protection, convenience...so many reasons. But all of this does not come cheap. For the money I paid for the ATC 20' aluminum, purchased brand new, I could have bought 3 open aluminum trailers.

The downside of a 20' enclosed, they are heavy. Both my former Hallmark and my ATC weigh in at about 3,000 lbs dry. Add in the car at 3,050, were are up to 6,000 Lbs. You will need a decently powered tow vehicle to pull this load. I use a Toyota Tundra, 4.7 at 270 HP I believe. It gets the job done, but not as well as a 2500 truck.

A year later am I happy with me decision? Indeed...the enclosed route is the best for me, for others, open may be the way to go.
No need to eat some crow. Sometimes you need to do things to see if they work better for you...or not!

From where I was sitting and reading, and from what you had posted on the past, it was clear to me that your going in the wrong direction. But hey, it's easy being an armchair quarterback! The good news is you now know with out any doubt what the right solution is for you.

Quick Reply: Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer