Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 3.8L X51 DFI PDK Cayman R vs. 996 GT3 Cup Car

It took a while but I finally got some good in-car demonstrating the power of these cars vs. the 996 GT3 Cup cars. Please be sure to read the description about the car and the program.

Enjoy!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, thats great John..looks like an awesome build!

Im sure the running costs for this car are far lower than the 996 Cup as well.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mobonic
Wow, thats great John..looks like an awesome build!

Im sure the running costs for this car are far lower than the 996 Cup as well.
Thanks bud! We have over 35 hours on track and have done 6 hour races, 90 min races, sprints, etc. and so far it's been nothing but tires, fuel and brakes. The car is light and the springs are soft so even the rubber lasts a while!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What weight and WHP are you running against that 6-cup?....
Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

John, when are you gonna have a seat open in a PDK car. I think I need to race one..... Hope to see you at Daytona Runoffs.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
What weight and WHP are you running against that 6-cup?....
It makes around 370ish RWHP and weighs 2900 lbs.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
John, when are you gonna have a seat open in a PDK car. I think I need to race one..... Hope to see you at Daytona Runoffs.
Hi Joe, it's funny you mention that because my Spec Racer SRF Gen 3 Runoffs plans just blew up in my face yesterday. I don't think I can get enough races in to qualify in time in SRF3 and get my car updated.

We don't own the car in the video and the fender flares on the GX car put me in GT2 which is too fast for a car like this. Even if I tried I would have to do Roebling, Charlotte, Atlanta and Barber and finish in the top half of the division having done hardly any races. I really want to run more SCCA Majors next year with this car and it's going to sting having the Runoffs in your backyard and not going. I will come spectate and support though. I hope you're doing well.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 06-26-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are great. Can keep up with most 996 cup drivers. PDK can be quirky at times, but issues are rare. Keeping engine, tranny and brakes cool is the secret.

In case you need more proof of cayman race car capabilities, here's video of a pro driver in my car at VIR. 2700lbs, 3.8 X51 DFI, Pirelli scrub slicks. Ran several 1:59.7 laps. Had a lap where AIM solo was predicting a 1:58.3 (with a 230b passenger.).. until we hit traffic in turn 16.

Last edited by jcastle; 06-25-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jcastle
These cars are great. Can keep up with most 996 cup drivers. PDK can be quirky at times, but issues are rare. Keeping engine, tranny and brakes cool is the secret.

In case you need more proof of cayman race car capabilities, here's video of a pro driver in my car at VIR. 2700lbs, 3.8 X51 DFI, Pirelli scrub slicks. Ran several 1:59.7 laps. Had a lap where AIM solo was predicting a 1:58.3 (with a 230b passenger.).. until we hit traffic in turn 16.

VIR Cayman Mar 2015 - YouTube
That's what I'm taking about!! I was going to ask who the driver was and then I saw the initials when I went to the You Tube page...obviously I recognize the dash. Looking good JC. That's the fastest Cayman lap I am aware of at VIR.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
That's what I'm taking about!! I was going to ask who the driver was and then I saw the initials when I went to the You Tube page...obviously I recognize the dash. Looking good JC. That's the fastest Cayman lap I am aware of at VIR.
It's awesome how quick these caymans are getting. We got our customer's gtb1 spec cayman (2950 min w/ driver and 3.4l 6spd car) down very close to the laps times posted above during the pca race last weekend. These spec cars are a lot of fun to drive! How much faster do you think pdk is over a 6spd?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by coryf
It's awesome how quick these caymans are getting. We got our customer's gtb1 spec cayman (2950 min w/ driver and 3.4l 6spd car) down very close to the laps times posted above during the pca race last weekend. These spec cars are a lot of fun to drive! How much faster do you think pdk is over a 6spd?
I have gone over and over this again in my head and i think it's safe to assume that the quicker shifting and shorter ratios are advantages #1 and #2 but no one mentions the fact that the foot never comes off the accelerator like a no-lift shift. There's no way those 3 things aren't an advantage over a 6 speed car right Cory? If it's worth .1 sec at the exit of every corner, a track like Sebring with 17 corners would yield 1.7 sec. There's just no way PDK isn't faster. P.S. Keep up the good work with the PWC car!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm amazed in that video at a 1:59.67 followed by a 1:59.68. Pretty doggone consistent.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:15 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Can't wait for my Cayman S build to be done.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:00 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have gone over and over this again in my head and i think it's safe to assume that the quicker shifting and shorter ratios are advantages #1 and #2 but no one mentions the fact that the foot never comes off the accelerator like a no-lift shift. There's no way those 3 things aren't an advantage over a 6 speed car right Cory? If it's worth .1 sec at the exit of every corner, a track like Sebring with 17 corners would yield 1.7 sec. There's just no way PDK isn't faster. P.S. Keep up the good work with the PWC car!
I agree that pdk should be faster. The gearing differences might be an advantage for the 6spd on certain corners at certain tracks but all 3 reasons you mentioned should make the pdk cars faster. There has been some interesting debates on the gtb1 page about the speed differences. PCA puts 100 pounds on the pdk car which is probably a good solution to even them out. For most drivers though pdk will win every time I think. I was just curious your opinion since you have so much experience with both types of cars.

PWC has been fun so far. We couldn't make road America this weekend unfortunately. The TC spec is a lot more fun than the ST spec.

Quick Reply: 3.8L X51 DFI PDK Cayman R vs. 996 GT3 Cup Car