Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: HANS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015 | 12:22 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Would never buy safety equipment second hand. You don't know what it's gone through.
Also, considering the cost of driving a car on track, is a new HANS or Hybrid system that expensive?

This is personal: I don't know what the advantage is of buying a CF HANS (much more expensive) as you won't notice the weight difference anyway when strapped in the car.
HANS generally aren't safety items that have wear or get damaged in a crash like a helmet, harnesses or a seat. I would replace the tethers on any HANS I got and inspect for any cracks/damage.

Driving a car on track is expensive, why spend more money everywhere if you don't have to? If I can buy a lightly used CF model for less than a new carbon composite why not?
Old 07-07-2015 | 05:05 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
For some of us who are trying to get to minimum allowable weight on their race cars it's simply another thing to spend money on.
I agree under the condition that the pilot him/herself also is in "minimal allowable weight".
Old 07-07-2015 | 10:43 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
HANS generally aren't safety items that have wear or get damaged in a crash like a helmet, harnesses or a seat. I would replace the tethers on any HANS I got and inspect for any cracks/damage.

Driving a car on track is expensive, why spend more money everywhere if you don't have to? If I can buy a lightly used CF model for less than a new carbon composite why not?
They are supposed to be sent in, inspected and re-certified after being involved in an incident. My brother just got finished doing this with his Necksgen after a recent crash. They found nothing wrong with it and re-certified without issue but it's costs you should consider (shipping / inspection) if buying used and not knowing the history.
Old 07-07-2015 | 01:38 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

This stuff is the cheapest part of tracking and its your life - spend the extra 200 bucks for something new - end thread
Old 07-07-2015 | 01:40 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
They are supposed to be sent in, inspected and re-certified after being involved in an incident. My brother just got finished doing this with his Necksgen after a recent crash. They found nothing wrong with it and re-certified without issue but it's costs you should consider (shipping / inspection) if buying used and not knowing the history.
Yep re-certification is like 15 bucks plus shipping provided no parts need to be replaced. Even if you have to replace just about every part to make it like new (rare occurrence) it's $175.

If you are involved in an accident so bad that you break your HANS you'll probably never get to track again (or probably walk).
Old 07-07-2015 | 01:42 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by audipwr1
This stuff is the cheapest part of tracking and its your life - spend the extra 200 bucks for something new - end thread
More like 500-700 more for a comparable top of the line unit but if you want to spend more for a non wear item to make yourself feel better, that's none of my business.

I found a used CF unit for a very good price from a long time forum member and will have it inspected and the tethers replaced as a precaution. Would not mind getting a second one for when my wife rides in my car.
Old 07-09-2015 | 08:32 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Can the removable velcro foam pads be washed with warm water and soap?
Old 07-10-2015 | 08:55 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

No idea.

I am so cool I never sweat when driving on track
Old 07-10-2015 | 01:55 PM
infidel
3rd Gear

You can try, and if they don't turn out to your liking, replacement gel pads are $80.
Old 07-13-2015 | 06:25 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Washed them, air dry, good to go.

Quick Reply: WTB: HANS