Sponsored by:

One and Done at NOLA

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One and Done at NOLA

A subsidiary of Andretti Sports Marketing, an event promoter based in Indianapolis, filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against NOLA Motorsports Park, the company owned by Laney Chouest that built the $75 million track where the Indycar race was held in April.

Andretti, which is under contract to organize the Indy Grand Prix of Louisiana through 2017, claims it had gotten assurances from NOLA Motorsports that there would be enough state grant money to help compensate the company for its services.

That turned out not to be the case, according to the lawsuit, which alleges that the nonprofit entity set up by NOLA Motorsports to collect the grant money is now “nearly insolvent” and has prioritized paying off vendors who might be able to place liens on the track, rather than Andretti.

At this point, it’s not clear what impact the litigation might have on future Indy Grand Prix races in Louisiana.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...x-of-louisiana
Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm more curious what implications it has on NOLA for club racers in the future. The track was not that interesting but the location is a fun venue for occasional clubrace. It is minutes from decent hotels, great food, and Bourbon street just 30 mins away.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

So clearly the event itself is unprofitable, so taxpayers are asked to make up the difference? LMAO.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:11 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Let the numbers sink in for a minute. The track cost $75 MILLION DOLLARS. It's 1-foot BELOW sea level. It's out in a ****ty part of town. There are NO good motels anywhere nearby. Good (expensive) restaurants are 30-minutes away...unless the traffic is bad (which is always is). The area around the track is a crime zone. Oh, and the land is so low, they don't have restrooms. Just Port-O-lets. Event parking is miles away. The track design is boring. It rains every other day (it rained for the Indycar race). And Indycar went there WHY? Oh, yeah, Andretti.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

MikeJim, you and Veloce nailed it, Andretti is a joke when it comes to event management when it comes to putting on IRL races. They're the ones who pulled out of Baltimore (which had it's own major issues including course design and safety) but it wasn't due to those reasons, it was due to financial reasons. Other organizers book blocks of rooms at reduced rates with hotels in the region before announcing the race dates to the public. They also have media kits for each event, get numbers regarding sales and profit volume from vendors from previous years and use them to sell vendor space for the next year. Andretti? Nope.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

Just my 2 cents. I have DEd and Club raced at NOLA, and I attended the IndyCar race. While it's not the most exciting track layout, its fun and the facilities are very nice. For a 1st time event, I though the crowd was good and everything went well, especially given the weather. We parked close by, took the shuttle to and from the track with no problem. The track staff seemed well organized. I even emailed Andretti with some questions about the tickets and paddock passes, and they replied promptly. I've attend numerous Indycar and F1 races, and I'll tell you this was far from the worst experience I've had. Hopefully, they can work this out and keep the race going.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

N
Originally Posted by MikeJim
Let the numbers sink in for a minute. The track cost $75 MILLION DOLLARS. It's 1-foot BELOW sea level. It's out in a ****ty part of town. There are NO good motels anywhere nearby. Good (expensive) restaurants are 30-minutes away...unless the traffic is bad (which is always is). The area around the track is a crime zone. Oh, and the land is so low, they don't have restrooms. Just Port-O-lets. Event parking is miles away. The track design is boring. It rains every other day (it rained for the Indycar race). And Indycar went there WHY? Oh, yeah, Andretti.
Sounds like you had a bad experience. That sucks and I'm sorry to hear it.

The FACILITY cost $75 Million, not just the track. The karting facilities are first class and held the ROTAX Championship last year and continues to thrive. While the track is as flat as a pancake, just like Sebring, it's a challenging layout that provides some nice speed and flow. Ive driven at Sebring and Roebling and another flat track called Circuit Grand Bayou and all flat tracks are boring compared to those with elevation changes IMO. Did you get mugged or something while you were here? because it's not really in a bad area at all. The TPC Pro Golf Course is near by as well as a new multi-Million $ High School for Advanced Studies. There is a crap load of state developmental money going into that entire area so it is going to continue to improve. And unless you cut through the crappy part of Westwego or Avondale, rather than taking the back way, the area is nice and quite tranquil. As for hotels, you could stay in The Ritz Carlton downtown and would be at the track within 20 minutes of getting your car from the valet. Same goes for world class cuisine. And traffic isn't **** here compared to Atlanta or Birmingham so I'm not sure where you're getting that traffic is bad here. Its not, especially on a Saturday or Sunday morning getting to a track event. Oh, and they have running water and restrooms beyond portapotties. There are full restrooms with showers both in the tower building and Speedshop facility among others in the event centers. They are much nicer than the showers and toilets at Barber or Road Atlanta.

The facilities have also been used for launch events by Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, as well as Michelin and Perelli etc. Movie filming is also going on regularly out there.
It's new and still becoming established and the same for the areas around it.
Why did Indy suck so bad there? I'm not convinced it's all the tracks fault. Clearly the promoters and IRL didn't have their **** together and it was embarrassing for both parties. The track grounds took a real beating from the contractors equipment and obviously the weather didn't help. It's not a bad facility or track.

If you ever make it back, please let me know so I can make sure you are shown the real way to do New Orleans
The following users liked this post:
dandaman19 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-21-2015, 02:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Let the second phase commence:

1. Bankruptcy
2. Purchase for pennies on the dollar
3. Reboot into profitability (hopefully)

If step 3 fails run through the steps again.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

I think NOLA is a fantastic facility and the track is harder than it looks. I hope it survives!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think NOLA is a fantastic facility and the track is harder than it looks. I hope it survives!
Likewise. We should separate the issues associated with the IndyCar event from the track itself. It's a fun track to drive, and the proximity to the French Quarter makes a visit for a DE or club race a very enjoyable facility. Contrary to what some have said here, the area where it is located is perfectly safe IMHO.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Considering the Chouest family owns everything south of I-10 in Louisiana, I do not see bankruptcy in the track's future (it was probably built to give the kids a place to play). I am sorry that the Andretti's do not have the business acumen to put together a racing series, I see they are trying to use a page out of the F1 manual and try to gouge the local gov't authorities. It takes more than a name to be successful in racing promotion.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:09 PM
DEStroyer
Rennlist Member

So in reply to the disenchanted racers regarding NOLA.
Has any one of these "experts" actually won Indy Car races, owned a track, paid for building an FIA level 2 race track, sponsored an event, operated a race track at this level - please speak up.
NOLA is - very technical (with the esses included), very difficult to find the last second, and can be extremely fun if you can achieve the above.
Yes Andretti should keep to running race cars, does a great job as a race team - operating events, promoting events or even having a clue on what it costs to run an event - lots to learn!
Laney Chouest is a very passionate and well meaning person - I have experience in this! Has he been taken to the cleaners with the wrong advice, and inexperienced management - yes!
Was he conned by what the event would cost - absolutely. Was he told that he only could have an event in April, or none at all - the "experts" did not take into account that April is the worst month for rain! Has Indy Car gone mad with their short season - yes - oh dear, we may go up against football season! Well pick a weekend when the Saints are out of town and people can tape the game!
Why is Football more important than Indy Car??? Why did Indy Car make NOLA put in a Miami Beach gravel trap after the track was approved by the FIA and licensed without it. This trap caused more red flags in practice and qualifying than the rain. Gravel traps are no longer used - Asphalt runoff areas are now used and this would have cost a fraction of the $500,000 beach!!! Some officious official who has never raced a car idea???
Need I go on - so Jim, really, what's your picture before you lay into NOLA. Thank goodness there are the Laney Chouests of this world who give us arrogant drivers a place to play at there expense. Also I hope the same drivers have more influence on the atrocious weather than NOLA.
By the way, I stayed in Metairie - 20 minute drive in early morning traffic - I had great restaurants and great hotels to choose from. Also, have you ever driven through the Avondale neighborhood, these folks are hard working and employed - just check out how clean and manicured the yards are.
Sorry they cannot afford a race car.
Enough said!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:24 PM
schao
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Raced there earlier this year for first time, and completely agree!

Sherman
Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

NOLA is my home circuit and I love it. It is relatively safe and a great track to learn with only a few walls, plenty of safe run offs. I always feel that I'm getting the better end of the bargain and enjoy running on a newly constructed multi-million dollar facility for relatively low cost.

The Indy race was very well attended for a first time event. Yes, the parking plan could be tightened up a bit, and the facility would benefit from permanent stadium seating.

I too hope the state/track/ and Andretti get it worked out.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM
PPo
Drifting

Maybe NOLA is fine and Indy as a race series sucks??

Off topic discussion about Indy:

I watched a few races this year. I like the drivers and teams. The team and drivers seem to have a good family atmosphere and show respect around the paddock/pit. There is also a good variety of drivers to like coming from different parts of the world with different experience. I would like to support what I see is good people working hard to put on a good show and have fun!

The cars? Well... uhhh.... They look "wingy"!! Not really a fan of the kids lego version of open wheel aero. I know Indy has tried multiple times to fix "the look"... The kids that try are never the cool kids. Shtaaaap messing with it. Just use F1 parts from the previous year or something like that.

Finally, as a person who watches all sorts of racing when I can (F1, Indy, LeMans, Tudor, NASCAR, Dakar, Rally, Trucks, Dirt Track, small town oval with a beer and a fist fight), I could not explain why they had big LED screen on the sides of the cars. Maybe I am getting old... but please don't manufacture something that doesn't exist. The racing was good many times this year. Better than I have seen for many years. It had nothing to do with LED screens.

Quick Reply: One and Done at NOLA