Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy advice thread . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015 | 01:11 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Should read......my second year I thought I was fast....started club racing and thought everyone was cheating...learned I was just slow and anyone beating me was cheating

For now get a cost effective helmet....try to get the newest certification...they are good for 10 years......make sure you like the whole track thing before really spending the money...
agree with autocroas/de/hpdc....anything to get tou seat time...but after the first de auto cross seemed silly to me.

Once your hpoked talk to others...ride in cars....visit local races and talk there....then start with safety mods...brakes bars...etc.....last thing to do is make the car faster

It's more fun driving a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow
Watching your video from Watkins was really eye opening. I will resort to cheating when I am fast enough to upshift into fifth going up the esses rather than at the top. Or is that the cheating thing, must be gearing.
Old 06-16-2015 | 02:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Awww, that's not nice.
I really was just kidding. Some do find it's just not for them.
Old 06-16-2015 | 02:50 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

The advice you have already been given is excellent.
I began DE's about 15 months ago. At this point I have about 30 days on track.

The best advice I ever got was:

0. Track driving is NOTHING like street driving. Be prepared for a difficult first day.

1. Get a helmet that fits and a good pair of fireproof gloves. (I ordered 4 helmets online from helmetcity.com to try on, sent the rest back). Buy the best you can afford.

2. Get as much seat time as your time/budget will allow in the first 1-2 years. Take the time to learn the basics of technique and terminology. Watch online videos before you go to track. Add one new track a year.

3. If you discover you have begun to "smoke from the crack pipe" then: a) set your annual budget, b) buy some driving shoes and c) set your schedule.

3a. Whatever you do, don't change the budget.

4. When the P-car gets too expensive to track (tires, parts, repairs, insurance) then ....and this is when it starts to get really crazy and you have to have a gentle convo with the spouse...find a less expensive car for track (Miata is what I did) and use the P-car for date night.

5. Build relationships with your track community. Remember you can learn something from everyone.

6. Gather data on the cheap ($500 range) at first: get a track-dedicated 64gig iPhone and a RAM mount and buy the Harry's Laptimer Petrolhead app. If you discover that you love track driving and want to continue, then upgrade to an AIM Solo or other system ($1700 +).
Old 06-16-2015 | 02:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Best advice I can offer is to pick your track friends carefully. Some of us are crazy.
And make sure some of those friends are experienced; you will benefit from some hard-earned and expensive lessons.
Old 06-16-2015 | 03:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
First of all, take the P-car out to a few DE's and see how you enjoy it. Once you are hooked, and given you already are thinking about racing, start looking for a less-capable, rear wheel drive car. The C4 is going to cover up weaknesses in your driving and make you think you are a God. You will ultimately learn faster and better if you move to a car that puts more demands on you. What car that might be is an entirely different thread, and on that has been covered numerous times.
That's great advice. Moving from a 997 C4S after a few addiction inducing events to a stock 99 Boxster was the best thing I did for my driving early on. I then slowly built that car up to a full SPB as my driving progressed. While a 200 Hp Boxster doesn't really qualify as a momentum car, it teaches you the importance of everything other than high straight line speeds.
Old 06-16-2015 | 03:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr911
The advice you have already been given is excellent.

0. Track driving is NOTHING like street driving. Be prepared for a difficult first day.

5. Build relationships with your track community. Remember you can learn something from everyone.

6. Gather data on the cheap (<$500 range)
I found your blog on learning Road Atlanta fascinating, and well written! Kudos for persevering.

Agreed!

Video is most important. What you did will not be what you remember you did. After that, the best $399 you can spend is on an AiM Solo!

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Best advice I can offer is to pick your track friends carefully. Some of us are crazy.
^^This^^

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-16-2015 | 05:50 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Practice heel/toe on the street, you don't need to do it at high RPMs just regular speed downshifts is all you need. Once you start rev matching your downshifts it will become second nature.
I only have seven track days under my belt and LOVE it. I'm renting Roebling Road Raceway on my own now and splitting it with friends...I may never go back to big events

I'd really like to try a coach. Cory Friedman, Autometrics, is in town, I may ask him about coaching.

I practiced heel and toe, really split toe for me, rev matching on the street and it helped a lot. Was successful (certainly not perfect) doing it on the track on the first lap and found it is easier at higher RPMs.

My son practices on the street too...he got a "Careless Driving" ticket a couple weeks ago...reason, "I could hear your car from the other side of the highway, you know you attract a lot of attention in that car." Really? I'll be in court tomorrow, but I digress...

I'm having a blast and plan to hit VIR this fall.
Old 06-16-2015 | 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cory is an exceptional resource! You'd enjoy your time together.
Old 06-16-2015 | 06:56 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Wow, I have another far more sedate hobby where I'm the expert and am involved in a similar forum, but never have I seen such an outpouring of knowledge and experience that seems so on point. Thanks guys!!

Originally Posted by mhm993

Go to Stable energies in NJ and get yourself fit for a decent helmet.

. . . . Listen to the instructors in car and class. Arrive early, be a sponge for information, and ask your instructors for a rides in their cars. Remember to get some sleep the night before, if you can.

. . .

Of the couple hundred students I've been with--obviously a trivial number compared to Peter or Dave--a couple arrived at the track for their "lifelong dream"....and left before lunch. Most students leave with crap eating grins

. . . Have fun!
Funny you mentioned Stable Energies in NJ 'cuz today I called Speed Sport Tuning of Danbury which is a local PCA approved tech shop that supports several racers to ask about an inspection and Chris the owner suggested Stable Energies as well. I am certain trying on as many helmets as possible is key to finding something comfortable and I'm equally certain a bad helmet could make my first day harder than it needs to be.

As to the other advice I promise I am as sponge-like as they come. I actually have thousands of hours instructing myself so I know how important it is to try to absorb what is being taught and go slowly at first plus after two decades of marriage and raising three teenagers I'm pretty sure whatever ego I used to have has been resoundingly beaten out of me by now Now I just wish there were more DEs at Limerock that fit my schedule!

Anyways, thanks again everybody!!
Old 06-16-2015 | 08:18 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

If it's not prohibitively far for you NJMP has a lot of PCA events this summer, check motorsportreg.
Old 06-16-2015 | 10:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

3. If you discover you have begun to "smoke from the crack pipe" then: a) set your annual budget, b) buy some driving shoes and c) set your schedule.

3a. Whatever you do, don't change the budget.
BUDGET????

Whatever you do, never add it up - that sort of thing can get you banned in these parts.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2015 | 09:59 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

1. Get a helmet that fits and a good pair of fireproof gloves.
Just curious, what is the appeal of gloves to a student? I wear them because I have to race with them and there will be some sharp edges in a race car if you wad it up and need to get out, but I much prefer the feel of driving without them.
Old 06-17-2015 | 11:03 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by DCP
Just curious, what is the appeal of gloves to a student? I wear them because I have to race with them and there will be some sharp edges in a race car if you wad it up and need to get out, but I much prefer the feel of driving without them.
  • Bright color makes the hand easier to see for point bys and corner station waves.
  • Better grip on steering wheel if it gets slippery with sweaty hands.
  • Some level of protection if something really bad happens - you need your hands to get out.

I usually wear gloves, but there are times I go gloveless for exactly the reason you state - better driving feel and its just more comfortable.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2015 | 11:24 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I found your blog on learning Road Atlanta fascinating, and well written! Kudos for persevering.

Video is most important. What you did will not be what you remember you did. After that, the best $399 you can spend is on an AiM Solo!
Peter: thanks for the kind words, much appreciate the support from someone who is one of the most respected voices in this field. Also, apologies for misquoting the price: The AiM Solo much more affordable than I had thought.

Originally Posted by TXE36

Whatever you do, never add it up - that sort of thing can get you banned in these parts.
Hehe...Mike, it was a critical error in a moment of weakness...after the driveshaft on the race car broke (fortunately at the END of Chin event at RD Atlanta).

Originally Posted by DCP
Agree that I prefer the feel of driving without gloves. I drive a race prepped spec car so hands are dinged up by the rough edges on exit and entry. In my prev track car, I was taught never to go out without my gloves because in a fire you need hands to exit the car. Mike's note on visibility: I was taught the same.
Old 06-17-2015 | 11:55 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
My recommendation is to take it one step at a time.

1) Start with DE events. CVR is a great region with good instructors
2) As you get more experience, take some time to upgrade our car with good safety equipment
3) Consider some of the racing schools like the Porsche Driving School, Skip Barber or Bertil Ross with a focus on car control
4) After getting some experience, figure out whether racing is for you and then figure out what class and association (SCCA, NASA, PCA, etc.) you can afford to race in. Then decide which car you are going to buy tahat is most competitive in the series you want to race in. At the end of the day, it is mostly about your $$$ budget.
+1

I'd add: To best benefit from instruction take Skippy's racing school AFTER you've qualified for Solo driving with CVR (which could take approx one whole season). Take a skid-pad, car-control class with PCA (CVR) or any other org as soon as possible.

Sumitomo HTR or any other high-performance summer street tires to start -- nothing stickier. Try to "earn" every grip, suspension, or power upgrade by being able to comfortably straddle the limit with your current set-up.

Welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: Another new guy advice thread . . .