Sponsored by:

Another new guy advice thread . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016 | 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JP66
Hah hah! Can't get anything by you Yes, it's the head honcho himself. That was the lap he did to help figure out the best gear to use in my car after No Name.

I was using GPS speed, but when Jonathan was helping me learn how to use the data he kept selecting wheel speed so I just assumed there was some reason he was looking at that instead of GPS speed. I guess I should have asked.

What is "gSum"?
gSum is a math channel that puts a number to how far out from a neutral center the friction circle is, a measure of the total amount of the tire you are using, so you can tell where you have room and where you should tread lightly. It's easy to build on your logger and in your software. We'll do it in August.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-14-2016 | 06:43 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Just 'cuz I think some folks are enjoying the progression I'll keep updating this thread.

So the news is I bought a 944 SP2 car (actually its a 924S with a 2.7L 944 Rothman engine - with some cool history on the engine), but haven't taken delivery yet. My goal is to race next spring with PCA. According to my coach Simon, I'm definitely on track (like that pun ). He said I could even do it this fall if I wanted, but I said I haven't even driven the new car yet so maybe I'll wait and see how that goes first plus today I felt a little disappointed in my performance. I'm back to releasing the brake to abruptly, and I don't think I did the left hander right even once today.

Ah, well at least I know there's plenty of room for improvement

Good news was I started breaking 1:04 consistently! Now if I can just learn to be consistent in all the elements I might have a shot at my target of 1:03. Practice, practice practice . . .

EDIT: I'm desperate for a set of GT2 seats so if by chance someone reading this knows where a pair can be had, I'd be eternally thankful

Last edited by JP66; 06-14-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2016 | 06:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Good luck with Vito's car...... he did very well it (1:02- 1:03s at LRP) you now have big shoes to fill....

Seriously, enjoy every single moment of it........
Old 06-14-2016 | 07:10 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Good luck with Vito's car...... he did very well it (1:02- 1:03s at LRP) you now have big shoes to fill....

Seriously, enjoy every single moment of it........
I know. I'm really excited to drive the car at LRP for the first time someday soon. It strains my brain cells to think that a car with less than half the horsepower of my R and only 3 or 400 lbs lighter can go faster than I'm going now. I'm assuming skill, setup, and slicks go a long way to explain it. Setup and slicks are the easy part, but developing the skill is half the fun!

Old 06-14-2016 | 08:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I know. I'm really excited to drive the car at LRP for the first time someday soon. It strains my brain cells to think that a car with less than half the horsepower of my R and only 3 or 400 lbs lighter can go faster than I'm going now. I'm assuming skill, setup, and slicks go a long way to explain it. Setup and slicks are the easy part, but developing the skill is half the fun!

Slicks are what the Cup guys run, you just have R compound Hoosiers......
Old 06-14-2016 | 09:09 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Slicks are what the Cup guys run, you just have R compound Hoosiers......
Learn something new everyday. I thought the R7 Hoosiers were considered "slicks". So why aren't they slicks? Chemistry of the rubber? Tiny amount of tread? And, aren't times with R7s really, really close to times with slicks? Just curious.

Thanks for straightening me out!
Old 06-14-2016 | 09:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Learn something new everyday. I thought the R7 Hoosiers were considered "slicks". So why aren't they slicks? Chemistry of the rubber? Tiny amount of tread? And, aren't times with R7s really, really close to times with slicks? Just curious.

Rubber compound and Hoosier's are a DOT tire. Driving that car is all about momentum and keeping your foot down on the go pedal, maybe Vito will coach you!
Old 06-14-2016 | 10:10 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Rubber compound and Hoosier's are a DOT tire. Driving that car is all about momentum and keeping your foot down on the go pedal, maybe Vito will coach you!
Yeah, I totally get that and can't wait to try my hand at it. Today was very interesting because one of the guys at the track had a "new" Spec Miata because he's in the exact same boat I'm in and trying to work towards a racing license. In his "other" car he was turning 1:01 laps, but in his new Miata he was struggling to break 1:07. I'll have to throw up some video 'cuz I think it interesting. He was on slicks (not Hoosiers but real slicks) and I was catching him in the turns which tells me he just wasn't trusting his tires and had previously been relying on his crazy acceleration to make quick time.

Point is I get the fact that it's "momentum", and I am really excited to see how I do when I finally get Vito's car setup for me. My biggest hope is that I can get him to coach me a couple of times.

It's kinda funny 'cuz I was just looking back at my first post where I talked about a 2 year time frame. I have learned SOOOOO much over the last year, from all the great input here on Rennlist, but I just think it's interesting that my core goals remain on track and the same.

EDIT: And Y'all need to start building some Spec Caymans 'cuz I think that class will be "the Cat's Meow". Not wanting to get the SPB boy's panties in a bunch, but I think the Cayman just looks cooler And, if I were a bettin' man I'd say in 5 years time the Spec Cayman will overtake Spec Boxster, but that is pure wild speculation on my part and only meant in the purest sense of fun.
Old 06-14-2016 | 11:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have learned SOOOOO much over the last year, from all the great input here on Rennlist, but I just think it's interesting that my core goals remain on track and the same.
And the cool thing is that there's SO much more...

Agree with SPC. Enjoyed talking with jdistefa about his at Watkins Glen. It's a great platform.
Old 06-14-2016 | 11:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

R7's (and BFG R1's, Kumho V710's, Hankook Ventus Z214's) are all R-Compound DOT tires, tires that have passed government regulations in terms of wear, sidewall and tread stiffness and abrasion resistance. They resist heat well, are more resistant to punctures, have been subject to a type of testing that allows objective comparisons with other tires of their type.

Purpose built slicks have NO circumferential grooves, sipes or any sort of DOT certification. They last less time, but are fundamentally capable of far more performance. Fun stuff! But takes time to gain confidence in them and the sidewall stiffness change may require alterations to spring rates to retain the balance present in the older DOT-R compound tires.
Old 06-15-2016 | 02:51 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProCoach
R7's (and BFG R1's, Kumho V710's, Hankook Ventus Z214's) are all R-Compound DOT tires, tires that have passed government regulations in terms of wear, sidewall and tread stiffness and abrasion resistance. They resist heat well, are more resistant to punctures, have been subject to a type of testing that allows objective comparisons with other tires of their type.

Purpose built slicks have NO circumferential grooves, sipes or any sort of DOT certification. They last less time, but are fundamentally capable of far more performance. Fun stuff! But takes time to gain confidence in them and the sidewall stiffness change may require alterations to spring rates to retain the balance present in the older DOT-R compound tires.
Awesome info Peter! I'm nowhere near ready for R compound or slicks. I run Sport Cup2's and they are great for me currently.
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Ah hah!!

Thanks!!

Hey JP66, What are you using for data? Looks like a Solo DL and SmartyCam Rev2? Is that it?
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Hey JP66, What are you using for data? Looks like a Solo DL and SmartyCam Rev2? Is that it?
It is! And I can sell you one, too!
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

haha. I'm sure you could, Mr. Krause. I'm still in the research phase. Will probably ditch Harry's after this year.
Old 06-15-2016 | 11:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
haha. I'm sure you could, Mr. Krause. I'm still in the research phase. Will probably ditch Harry's after this year.
Here is a cool matrix that shows the AiM products and how they compare. http://www.trailbrake.net/aim-products-matrix.html

Let me know or post up any questions.

Quick Reply: Another new guy advice thread . . .