Heart Rate During a Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heart Rate During a Race

In the 'for what it's worth' and 'for fun' departments ...

I got my new Apple Watch on Friday so I decided to try it out during the races on Saturday and Sunday. Previous attempts to monitor heart rate using a chest strap failed due to RF interference from the car.

In the race, while pushing hard, my HR hovered in the 150 & 160's. During a double yellow it dropped back to 120s. I'm not too surprised by the numbers but, as a scientist, it's nice to see data. When I mountain bike up a fire road with a 5-6% grade, pushing moderately, I'm in the 150's. I go anaerobic at about 165 and my max observed HR is 185 (all numbers from when mountain biking). I'm 59 and moderately fit. My resting HR is ~59.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
In the 'for what it's worth' and 'for fun' departments ...

I got my new Apple Watch on Friday so I decided to try it out during the races on Saturday and Sunday. Previous attempts to monitor heart rate using a chest strap failed due to RF interference from the car.

In the race, while pushing hard, my HR hovered in the 150 & 160's. During a double yellow it dropped back to 120s. I'm not too surprised by the numbers but, as a scientist, it's nice to see data. When I mountain bike up a fire road with a 5-6% grade, pushing moderately, I'm in the 150's. I go anaerobic at about 165 and my max observed HR is 185 (all numbers from when mountain biking). I'm 59 and moderately fit. My resting HR is ~59.
I get very similar figures from my Apple Watch and when I wore my fancy Garmin device. Last time out at MMC with my FM I had an average HR of 140! My resting HR is high 50s and when I'm cranking on my bike I get to the mid 150s on a good hill.

I remember watching the telemetry during an Australian V8 Supercar race and most of the drivers were in the 160-180 range. Oh to be young again!

I may try my Garmin bike computer again as I'm curious to see my HR in high G corners compared to straights.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Cool! Looking forward to gathering Apple watch data at Indy this week and weekend! Thanks, Tom.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

In a practice day last friday while on track I was between 140-160. My max HR is between 180-183. I hit 160-175 regularly when on a road bike. My resting HR has been as low as 52-54 in the last year...pretty dependent on the amount of aerobic exercising I am doing.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:58 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very interesting stuff. All I know is my heart is pounding every time I get out of my car.

Would be interesting to know other vitals too, BP, calories burned, etc.

The end goal would be to statistically explain to my wife that racing IS exercise.......
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

I've monitored HR throughout with a very accurate Suunto HRM. Average 130 the entire time. Never seems to come down. I think my Max HR is about 197, resting is in the 40's.

Funny, I met with top pro Rod Fuller for tour of top-fuel dragster at an event he was at. In our discussion we geeked out on HR's, mental prep, and such. He gets his down to resting rate just before launch. Amazing.

Personally, I think the elevated rate is key to keeping the brain well-supplied. Hyped up and hyper alert is fine with me…

Dave in Chicago
'92 968 E-Class
Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default they were live streaming this info during the last nurnberg 24

there was a live feed on youtube and they were following 2-4 cars closely and they had telemetry like heartrate and stress levels being live streamed..

going really fast on the Nur some kept their heartrate in the low 100s but when hitting traffic it went to the 150s

some of those guys had liquid nitrogen in their vains....
Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

One reason heart rate is elevated is due to the adrenergic activation caused by the stress of the situation. At least one study has shown that lapping at the same pace in a race versus solo has the heart rate quite a bit higher in the race. That same study did show that the heart rate was elevated well above normal when lapping solo. This indicates that track driving is a demanding activity...even more so when wheel to wheel racing is involved.

But we all new that last part.....
Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a test I did @ a DE a few years back when I first started down the slope. I also come from a cycling background and after hearing that J. Button's rate was over 180 for a whole qual session I was a bit skeptical. Granted this is a DE but it gets you in the zone. My AT is 170 so I was in zone 3 most of the session. What I found interesting was the fact that when I clear track and was pushing my HR was higher than in traffic.

https://vimeo.com/12399257

BTW: Please ignore the incredibly late apexing of T1..DE-line you know...
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I did the same measurements with my Garmin a few years ago, and it is interesting to hear that others had the same changes. Resting 60-65 bpm Race 165 bpm at the start!. Instructing 85 bpm. DE 95 bpm. My max is 160-165 for my age.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a 160 reading and 230 kcal burned during a 12 lap kart race at pitt race last weekend
Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was giving a check ride & we had a fairly gentle "off". We were taken to medical as part of protocol since we made contact, although minor with a tire wall. They checked our heart rates and BP. While the heart rates dropped quickly to our personal norms the BP did not. The kept us both for some time while the BP stabilized. I felt fine but they insisted I wait. I had an extensive heart work up after that to make sure there were no BP issues & I was fine. The cardio pointed out that track stuff was not only exertion but also elevated levels of stress affecting BP, which he feels is as important to monitor as HR especially for us older guys.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

I've added some more data to myself. I was driving my FM at WGI the past two days. On the first day I was simply dehydrated and was averaging HR in the mid 140s with a peak of 171! I have never achieved 170 in a workout. My resting HR was not coming down and I could tell I was hot (mild heat sickness).
I hydrated like crazy but of course had the meat cake at the Seneca with a few beers. Yesterday my peak was about 160 and I was coming back to below 100 after climbing out of the car. My resting is usually mid 50s.

I would love to know how much of this is me working hard (a manual steering car with 2.3G peak) and how much of it is the adrenaline of putting it out there. I do know in my street car that my HR on track is usually only around 110 but I don't push it as hard or encounter the g-forces that I do in my track car.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:32 PM
axm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry's Laptimer now pulls in heart beat data from the Apple Watch. I can see the overlay in the laplist, not yet in the videos.

I am guessing he will have it in a future release, so we can create cool videos with the heartbeat overlaid on video .. just like the VLN
Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be interesting to tease out a few variables as well by comparing readings on:

1. with or without caffeine on the morning prior to the track event
2. alcohol or no alcohol the night before
3. baseline blood pressure and heart rate of the driver prior to getting into harness w/ the fireproof suit/helmet/hans etc

Quick Reply: Heart Rate During a Race