Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Clubrace........June 19-21

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Was the enduro battle for 2nd (1st in E) really decided by .001? Crazy.

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/5431596
Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Yes, I read that post from last year. Blah, blah, blah. Too f***ing hot - move the race to March. Screw RA, RA is always a raining cup car crash fest anyway.
+1 My bias is fall but anything's better than June, July, August in VA. Race would draw a lot more NE participants. Everyone I talk to up here says the same thing: love the track, love the race, but too d*mn hot.

We're not paid professionals. I know the organizers have a tough job but better make it enjoyable because we're all short on time and money. No reason this event couldn't be as big as WGI or Sebring - track is that good.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BHunt 72T
Was the enduro battle for 2nd (1st in E) really decided by .001? Crazy.

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/5431596
it was close but not that close, I probably had 5 to 6 car lengths crossing the line so no sure why it has it as that close....at least I don't remember it being that close...but wasn't much between us the entire time,
Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Radio miscue. Tower never told him the pace car was coming in, then told him late to give the green. Different radio networks, one PCA (pace car, scruts, control) and one worker net (corners, emergency services, starter). Not good that they're not coordinated better..
Peter, what basis do you have for this statement?
The reason the pace car, scrutineers and the steward are on a separate net is to keep the cornerworker net open for discussions between the corners and race control.
As you no doubt realize, it is only possible for one person to be talking at any one time on a radio network. There is a fair amount of discussion going on, on the cornerworker net, during a full course yellow, regarding track status, condition of tire barriers, status of the tow truck exiting the track, etc.
If the pace car was on that net, as you suggest, the steward would not be able to give directions to the pace car - slow down, speed up, stay to one side of the track or the other going past an incident site, turn off your lights as you are coming in this lap, etc.
The cornerworkers will normally report on their net when the pace car has turned off its lights and also report on that same net when the pace car has entered pit lane, thus notifying the starter that the field is now under his control.
Race control, and accordingly, the PCA CR steward, does not" call" or otherwise instruct the starter when to wave the green flag. Usually race control will inform the starter that the track is going green one the pace car is off the track but frankly, at most tracks, especially VIR, the starter can see the pace car with its lights off between the last two turns and also see the pace car enter pit lane, which means to the starter that the field is his. The decision as to when to wave the green flag, once the field is under the starter's control, is solely the starter.
Starters also listen to the cornerworker net, as they are part of that, and are getting updates over that net as the incident clears and the track has become available to start racing again.
Having the pace car on the cornerworker net actually would be counterproductive. The steward, who is not on the cornerworker net other than monitoring the net and giving instructions to the workers through race control, would not have direct and immediate contact with the pace car, if the pace car wasn't on a separate net.
It's as simple as that.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
The cornerworkers will normally report on their net when the pace car has turned off its lights and also report on that same net when the pace car has entered pit lane, thus notifying the starter that the field is now under his control.

Race control, and accordingly, the PCA CR steward, does not" call" or otherwise instruct the starter when to wave the green flag.

Usually race control will inform the starter that the track is going green one the pace car is off the track but frankly, at most tracks, especially VIR, the starter can see the pace car with its lights off between the last two turns and also see the pace car enter pit lane, which means to the starter that the field is his.

The decision as to when to wave the green flag, once the field is under the starter's control, is solely the starter.
I'm not being critical, just my observation with specific knowledge in this instance and thirty years of race operation experience.

Normally, control directs the starter that the course will go green next time around, or as near as possible.

The starter operates at the pleasure of control. When the tower transfers that information and responsibility, the field is then under starter's control.

Marked in italics may be the reason why the green was late, that is all.

I am well aware of race procedures and proper net protocol with the corner net and multiple nets where the common center is control. It can get hectic, and we can always do better!

Thanks for your and all the other Steward's work!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-22-2015, 05:13 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

That restart was a clusterfvck. I was P2 (was P1 but got passed under double yellow) was lugging in 4th and just under the flagstation when he dropped the double yellow and pulled out the green. In the end it didnt matter. The pair of double yellows at the end caused me to pit with 9 1/2 minutes to go, DQing me.

Great week though. Battled nose to tail for P1/P2 in H in all 3 races. Won one, lost one, and both of us got DQ'd in the enduro. Here's video of the enduro. Great back and forth battle for over an hour. Fubared restart at 1:18.50. Also video of PB 205.5 in quali

Last edited by rmag; 06-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Did anybody mention the heat this weekend? It was hot.

First let me say how much I appreciated Intersport's track support this weekend. Like the prima donna racing driver I am I let them do a lot of things I would otherwise have done because it was hot. Real hot. It was hot in the car but I can only imagine what it must be like to lie down on 130 degree pavement and change axles under a hot race car (not mine, I don't break my car) so my hat is off to them.

I stood on every step of the podium this weekend Lots of attrition saw a sparse SPB field by Saturday afternoon. Regardless I had a lot of fun. Took a 3rd in sprint 1, 2nd in sprint 2 and a 1st in the enduro thanks to a quick decision to pit in advance of a double yellow.

I made a bad tire decision on Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out these RR's. I'm treating them too much like Hoos. I put a new set on for Saturday qualy and race and was slower by a good bit. I put the old tires back on for the enduro and was consistently faster even though the rear tires looked like there was nothing left in them. One day I'll get it right.

Anyhoo, here are some vids of the white and red checker groups:

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Streak

First let me say how much I appreciated Intersport's track support this weekend. Like the prima donna racing driver I am I let them do a lot of things I would otherwise have done because it was hot. Real hot. It was hot in the car but I can only imagine what it must be like to lie down on 130 degree pavement and change axles under a hot race car (not mine, I don't break my car) so my hat is off to them.

I stood on every step of the podium this weekend
Nice run! Intersport guys are awesome!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice run! Intersport guys are awesome!
Thanks Coach!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
That restart was a clusterfvck. I was P2 (was P1 but got passed under double yellow) was lugging in 4th and just under the flagstation when he dropped the double yellow and pulled out the green. In the end it didnt matter. The pair of double yellows at the end caused me to pit with 9 1/2 minutes to go, DQing me.

Great week though. Battled nose to tail for P1/P2 in H in all 3 races. Won one, lost one, and both of us got DQ'd in the enduro. Here's video of the enduro. Great back and forth battle for over an hour. Fubared restart at 1:18.50. Also video of PB 205.5 in quali

2015 PCA VIR Enduro Stock H on Vimeo

2015 PCA VIR Qualifying Stock H on Vimeo
I tried to make a good rabbit for u....

Think next year I'm bolting some training wheels on my aero beetle...VIR in the heat with no wing was a bit too slippery
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

I stood on every step of the podium this weekend Lots of attrition saw a sparse SPB field by Saturday afternoon. Regardless I had a lot of fun. Took a 3rd in sprint 1, 2nd in sprint 2 and a 1st in the enduro thanks to a quick decision to pit in advance of a double yellow.

I made a bad tire decision on Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out these RR's. I'm treating them too much like Hoos. I put a new set on for Saturday qualy and race and was slower by a good bit. I put the old tires back on for the enduro and was consistently faster even though the rear tires looked like there was nothing left in them. One day I'll get it right.

Anyhoo, here are some vids of the white and red checker groups:

VIR Sprint 1 on Vimeo

VIR Sprint 2 on Vimeo

Vir Enduro on Vimeo
Some pretty good action at 25 min. in the Enduro. Ummm - gave that red 911 a pretty good squeeze in the Esses at about 26:20! Yikes
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Radio miscue. Tower never told him the pace car was coming in, then told him late to give the green. Different radio networks, one PCA (pace car, scruts, control) and one worker net (corners, emergency services, starter). Not good that they're not coordinated better.

Hope Doug C's feeling ok today. Looked nasty...
GT4 was a fun group to run...im still chasing set up since switching to R7....back end is constantly leaving the front....chasing new cars with good brakes and aero is fun

Snapped my shift rod off before the start of sprint 1 (sorry to those behind me for screwing up the start) so had to start last in sprint 2....very fun race

Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Izzone
GT4 was a fun group to run...

2015 PCA VIR Sprint 2 - YouTube
I have to agree. 270 car, Angus' wonderful wailing banshee and you look great out there.

I like old cars, and it makes me want to buy Bill Keith's car (or another James ***-built car) and join the fun... Half wish I'd bought Yonker's old missile...

Of course, if I brought another race car home, I might be sleeping in it!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I have to agree. 270 car, Angus' wonderful wailing banshee and you look great out there.

I like old cars, and it makes me want to buy Bill Keith's car (or another James ***-built car) and join the fun... Half wish I'd bought Yonker's old missile...

Of course, if I brought another race car home, I might be sleeping in it!
Im getting a splitter/ wing for next year, also need to get wider tires up front (cant get the 245 to fit, angus showed me how

Angus and I are same weight / hp now that I put extreme heads on
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Izzone
Im getting a splitter/ wing for next year, also need to get wider tires up front (cant get the 245 to fit, angus showed me how

Angus and I are same weight / hp now that I put extreme heads on
He's fast... And man, I love his sound...

Quick Reply: VIR Clubrace........June 19-21