LeMans 24 - Where to stay/how to attend?? "Best Practices??"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

So we have a place to stay...got a recommendation and connected with a local who lives in LeMans and we are renting a room from him that's walking distance to the tram and the center of town!! (thanks Samuel!!)

The Plan is to go out Thursday 10 days before the race, spend a few days in Paris, drive to LeMans on Sunday to see Scrutineering, visit Loire Valley castles, wineries, head out to Normandy Beach, etc during the week, watch some support races, Parade on Friday, race Saturday/Sunday. Back to Paris and fly home Monday.

Now we just need plane tickets, rental car, hotel in Paris, race tickets, any hospitality things, etc. etc. etc...But...we have a place to stay in LeMans!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
So we have a place to stay...got a recommendation and connected with a local who lives in LeMans and we are renting a room from him that's walking distance to the tram and the center of town!! (thanks Samuel!!)

The Plan is to go out Thursday 10 days before the race, spend a few days in Paris, drive to LeMans on Sunday to see Scrutineering, visit Loire Valley castles, wineries, head out to Normandy Beach, etc during the week, watch some support races, Parade on Friday, race Saturday/Sunday. Back to Paris and fly home Monday.

Now we just need plane tickets, rental car, hotel in Paris, race tickets, any hospitality things, etc. etc. etc...But...we have a place to stay in LeMans!!
Def doing it right Bob by starting early. Google maps actually worked pretty good on my phone last year. It was a blast! Enjoy!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

I thought I would bring this back up since LeMans is only 2 months away.

First of all...who's going?

So here are our plans so far: We arrive in Paris the morning of June 9. We stay in Paris a few nights until Sunday June 12 (Thanks Ayesha for hooking me up with Larry - staying at one of the hotels he recommended), then we head down to LeMans and staying downtown in a room at someones house (thanks Samuel - 928cs - we are staying with Mallory!!). Sunday/Monday we are planning to attend scrutineering, Tues, Wed do some touring, castles, wineries, maybe up to Normandy Beach. Thursday go to the track for testing/qualifying. Friday is the downtown Parade, Sat-Sun the race. Head back to Paris Sunday night, fly home Monday.

With all that..what else should we not miss?

so...gotta ask...anyone going with a race team that can get us pit access? I'd be happy to pay for them.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Imola74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been to Le Mans the past 3 years, and Ill be there this year! Hoping for good weather! Every year Ive done the pit access and it is absolutely worth it. If you're gonna bother with flying to France, and driving to Le Mans for the weekend you have to get pit access for a few hours before the race. Ive actually been in the pits while the cup race is going on and have been just a few feet away from their pit stops, which is very loud. You can buy the passes on FIAWEC.com and pick them up at the track, don't have them sent to you at this point. I think they run about $600 per pass. With pit access you also get grid walk which is fun, but it only lasts about 20 minuets, then they kick everyone off. At the end of the race you are allowed back into pit lane to watch the ceremony, then everyone gets to walk the track after.

For seats, the main grandstand is probably sold out..don't know where you're sitting. Last year I skipped them and just used the ACO club access berms which was fun. You absolutely have to buy the extra tickets for Mulsanne and Arnage which cost about $40 each. Bring a fold out chair and you'll be memorized! Especially and night with the brakes glowing and exhaust spitting fire hah..not to mention watching the LMP1 cars FLY past the GTE out of the turns... it is such a spectacle.

So pit access, Mulsanne and Arnage are absolutely necessary in my opinion. Grandstand is probably sold out(again i'm not sure if you already have tickets) And ACO membership is cool, but not entirely necessary; for whatever race you attend as a member they send you all of this really cool memorabilia and posters.

It is a truly awesome event and it does not get old!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I thought I would bring this back up since LeMans is only 2 months away.

First of all...who's going?

So here are our plans so far: We arrive in Paris the morning of June 9. We stay in Paris a few nights until Sunday June 12 (Thanks Ayesha for hooking me up with Larry - staying at one of the hotels he recommended), then we head down to LeMans and staying downtown in a room at someones house (thanks Samuel - 928cs - we are staying with Mallory!!). Sunday/Monday we are planning to attend scrutineering, Tues, Wed do some touring, castles, wineries, maybe up to Normandy Beach. Thursday go to the track for testing/qualifying. Friday is the downtown Parade, Sat-Sun the race. Head back to Paris Sunday night, fly home Monday.

With all that..what else should we not miss?

so...gotta ask...anyone going with a race team that can get us pit access? I'd be happy to pay for them.
We are flying into Paris the 12. Plan on doing a few city bicycle tours of Paris. Thursday will TGV to Lemans staying on track in the flex hotel things. For sure doing driver parade. We are doing this http://lemansrace.com/le-mans-24-hou...with-michelin/ shuttles around track and heli ride over track. Monday rent a car to see Northern France and what ever the wife wants for another week.
Would be cool to at least say hi to other RL folks there.

Good times coming,

Joe
Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Doing Classic Le Mans a few week following the "big show". So any post event "local" pointers would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:54 PM
deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I went last year and had really no guidance but it turned out to be an amazing part of our trip. We got there thurs for final qualis and stayed in the town till Mon AM. Rented a station wagon and drove to the track race day(leave way earlier than you think you need to) so we could have a place to nap during the 24. Definitely spend the money on the pit pass! We got an ACO membership and then got a discount on the tix that way. Plus they have a couple of facilities to view from that you get access to. Go to the parade or at least hang out and drink in the square afterwards. Saturday go to the museum at the track. If you can get into the helicopters do it but book your reservation early because it will fill up fast. Bring a radio to listen to the broadcast to stay in the loop during the race. Go to Mulsane corner at midnight and watch the sun rise from start finish. The night is VERY short. Bring some baguette and fruit to munch on. The concession food there is pretty bad. I'm so jealous have a blast. We definitely did!

Quick Reply: LeMans 24 - Where to stay/how to attend?? "Best Practices??"