Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs. Yoko AD08R

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Do you guys "Heat Cycle" your tires when they are new?
Old 05-24-2016, 02:31 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved the AD08's when i had them on my M3. I really wish they offered them in 991 GTS sizes but it looks like i'm stuck with the Cup 2's. I look forward to using them on the 16th @ Lime Rock however i hope they last a while as they are being used as a street/track tire.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Do you guys "Heat Cycle" your tires when they are new?
I used to have them heat cycled when I would order them, but that was for more aggressive, track-focused tires like the Nitto NT01 and Toyo RR on my M3. Maybe I should have it done for the PSCup2s as well...

Originally Posted by hsmith
I loved the AD08's when i had them on my M3. I really wish they offered them in 991 GTS sizes but it looks like i'm stuck with the Cup 2's. I look forward to using them on the 16th @ Lime Rock however i hope they last a while as they are being used as a street/track tire.
One option is to invest in a good set of 19" track wheels--you get a broader array of tires to choose from, and cheaper, too...
Old 06-19-2016, 06:11 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Any updates from folks so far this season? For those that have used both tires does everyone continue to feel the MPSC2 has slightly better grip than the Yoko's? And, going one step further has anyone that tried these two also tried the Trofeo R?
Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 PM
pdt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also be interested in hearing an update. I'm interested in the AD08R and am looking for the best size for a 997.2 C2S. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The question is what?: grip, longevity, price, all weather? Each have their own pros/cons. I've owned them all.

MPSC2: best all around track/street tire from this bunch

Trofeo R: stickiest, fastest lap times, least longevity

AD08R: great street tire, slower on circuit than the others. This is not a R-compound tire, regardless of yoko's cute marketing attempt with the naming of the tire (R stands for "R"evolution)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
The question is what?: grip, longevity, price, all weather? Each have their own pros/cons. I've owned them all.

MPSC2: best all around track/street tire from this bunch

Trofeo R: stickiest, fastest lap times, least longevity

AD08R: great street tire, slower on circuit than the others. This is not a R-compound tire, regardless of yoko's cute marketing attempt with the naming of the tire (R stands for "R"evolution)
I would only add that I asked my pro-coach which tire he thought is faster and he said Yoko over Michelin, but I really would love some hard data. I, totally, plan on buying Michelins on my next go round as I will have tons of data from 2 sets of Yokos to compare with the Michelins. My only other comment is that I run way faster than guys on Michelins in cars that are "faster" than me which includes GT4s and older GT3s. That is NOT real proof but rather simple internet anecdotal evidence, but take it for what it is . . . and that includes the Doc who started this thread. I'm running 1:03 times right in line with him and he's in a GT4 on Michelins while I'm in an R on Yokos. His vMin in several corners is lower than mine, but that's just it, I'd love to see his car driven by a pro so we could get a real comparison.

This post is in NO way meant to "flame" anyone, and I TOTALLY apologize for coming across that way, I just want to say what is on my mind and open discussion. It is in NO WAY meant as a personal attack, it's just a request for more data I really just want to know what the "fastest" street tire is and I haven't even seen data yet on Trofeos or Nittos that I can use to compare. Sadly they do not seem to be popular with the LRP crowd which is the only track for which I have reams of data both from my car and fellow club members.

Last edited by JP66; 06-23-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

What Michelin vs. what Yoko?

A Michelin Pilot Sport Cup will be faster than a Yoko AD-08.

A Yoko AD-08 will be faster than a Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
What Michelin vs. what Yoko?

A Michelin Pilot Sport Cup will be faster than a Yoko AD-08.

A Yoko AD-08 will be faster than a Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Yes that is the "fact" commonly stated here on the forum, but the info I am receiving so far belies that fact. I am looking for some hard data that proves the MPSC2 beats the Yokos. The current hype is saying yes, but my pro-coach and my personal experience is saying this is not true. I think the biggest factor in this game may be the fact that most folks run their Yokos at too high a pressure. I rum mine at 31 hot, and that is REALLY low compared to other posters I see on Rennlist. It requires either stopping to let air out or starting at a ludicrously low pressure of 25 psi and being very slow to come up to speed.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Yes that is the "fact" commonly stated here on the forum, but the info I am receiving so far belies that fact. I am looking for some hard data that proves the MPSC2 beats the Yokos. The current hype is saying yes, but my pro-coach and my personal experience is saying this is not true. I think the biggest factor in this game may be the fact that most folks run their Yokos at too high a pressure. I rum mine at 31 hot, and that is REALLY low compared to other posters I see on Rennlist. It requires either stopping to let air out or starting at a ludicrously low pressure of 25 psi and being very slow to come up to speed.
I've run both on the same car. They are completely different tires in my experience.

AD08r is a good tire for sure. My favorite thing is that it has a nice stiff sidewall that allows for lower tire pressures without scrubbing the outside when you aren't running perfect camber for the track. It is a noisy tire that talks a LOT, and it lasts. I had two sets and they each lasted a good long time (15 track days plus?). Great tire for intermediate run groups and for a street/track car.

But it is NOT an ultimate grip tire. I ran with friends running the RE-11 tires and they were very similar. Tally, stiff, good grip, pretty good in the rain, fine for the street. Great value, good fun.

The MPSC2 is a completely different story, and I don't believe for a second that anyone that has run the two back to back would say the Yokos have more grip. The C2 is a very soft compound tire, especially on the outside edge, and the grip while new is up there with the best tires. My set lasted 6 days before I corded them. With a more aggressive camber I might have gotten another day or two. I also didn't feel they held up over time. I usually assume that when people (including myself) say " my tires are going off", that it really means "I'm getting sloppy and my inputs are ****", but with MPSC2, which uses a softer compound on the outside blocks, and is really designed to be worn by exotics, just wears a bit funny on dedicated track use.

So no question in my mind. The cup2 is far more sticky, esp. when new. But that doesn't mean it's a faster tire, esp. For intermediate drivers, where consistency and a chatty tire help. The Yokos are one of my favorite tires I've run. The cup 2s one of my least favorite.

And be wary of opinions like mine! So much of this is dependent on the car, weather, and driver.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs. Yoko AD08R