Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 944 Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Justin, thank you! I was thinking perhaps something similar. The one I bought comes with hardware that mounts on to the stock wing. I have not seen it in person yet but the setup looked interesting in the photo.

Any comments on how the 3D wing performs vs the more common 2D wing? I understand that in theory the 3D design compensates for variation in air flow through the body if mounted below the roof line. But I have not seen any direct comparisons between 2D and 3D wings in terms of drag and downforce.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:05 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
You may want to think about having your braces tie to the body instead of cross bracing. There is quite a bit of force on the wing at high speed, mine moved around so much I took 1 1/2-in off the support height, It was just a little bit higher than the roof but still PCA legal. It still moves around but not as much.
The driver side verticals in the trunk are indeed bolted to the floor, but the problem is that the APR wing uprights only have 2 options as to where the mount goes, and only the inner ones really works with the 944 hatch. The problem then becomes that the passenger side mount drops down to the cavity of the spare tire well. That's why I ran the 2 square tubes across the spare tire well to give me a place to anchor the passenger side verticals. The square tube base is actually quite strong. I'm sure there are other solutions that would work, but I'm pretty confident that the wing can take a lot of load, both downforce and drag.

Quick Reply: WTB 944 Rear Wing