Sponsored by:

S80/100 vs R80/100 vs whatever

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S80/100 vs R80/100 vs whatever

Anyone have any info on the new Hoosier compound slick vs anything else including DOT R's and A's as well? More concerned with speed and safety as the R80/100 was prone to blowing out, especially on the Porsche's.

Dez
Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

I just tried a set of s80/s100 for the first time. They were a lot better than the R80/r100, but still junk compared to pirellis/yoks/michelins. They were decent for 1 heat cycle in qualifying. By about 6 laps into a sprint race they fell off several seconds. Then I tried to run them in an enduro, and after about 10 laps they were off literally 7 seconds a lap (and I would say I'm pretty good at driving on slippery tires). They seem like a qualifying tire - good for TT. They held up fine at very high speeds. I ran them at the Cal Speedway Roval hitting 170mph with a banked corner. For comparison, I put on a set of take-off pirellis that probably had 5 or 6 cycles on them, ran the same lap times as sticker s80/s100. And in the race the pirelli's only lost <2 seconds from first lap to last.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not able to compare to other slicks but we all run them here in NASA GTS...I have had some pretty good times using both the R and S compounds...at Mid-Ohio we can get into the 1:31 range in a GTS 4 996 cup, GTS 5 cups are running below 1:30 . They seem to hold up well, can easily go through a sprint race 30-40 minutes with no loss of lap times. Pretty durable too, I can go 10-12 heat cycles and then still use them as very good practice tires.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Did you find any difference from the R to the S?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Sidewall stiffer on the S
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I tried to run them on my Cayman. I got 6-7 HC before I corded the inside front tires. I got one race out of the second set. There won't be a 3rd set. I didn't change anything and am running the Pirelli DH takeoffs and they are great. No real fall off and very durable. More tread than HC's.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the Hoosiers. I am currently running the R80/100 becuase I bought a bunch of closeouts cheap. The S80/100 is a faster tire than the R. It also seems to have a better wear pattern for me than the R. But, at the price I got the R's there is no complaint.

I do not have the same experience with cording or time drop off as others have stated here. I am running a 2008 cup. Last year I ran a 2004 cup. In both cases I would run the tires to cords rather than heat cycling out. I would say that on average I get about 8 heat cycles out of a set of tires.

As far as time drop off, I am one of the guys that bgeire had referenced that I am turning under the 1:30 mark. That is with tires that have had 6 heat cycles on them. I did, in fact, break the track record on both Saturday and Sunday winning overall on Sunday in close competition with a fellow in an identically prepared 2009 cup (he is prepared by our tech) who was on Pirelli's and was only a few hundreths of a second off of my time.

I would love to think that a different tire is going to be even 2 seconds faster than what I have, but I know that is just a dream.

I have not had the experience where a Hoosier has blown out, and I am pretty rough on tires. I have had several VERY bad experiences with the Michelin. I actually see the Hoosier as the rough and rugged tire while the Yok/Mich/Pirelli is more delicate that need to be pampered more.

Thanks

Ed
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Thanks Ed, how long does it take the tire to reach best operating temp on your car?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
I run the Hoosiers. I am currently running the R80/100 becuase I bought a bunch of closeouts cheap. The S80/100 is a faster tire than the R. It also seems to have a better wear pattern for me than the R. But, at the price I got the R's there is no complaint.

I do not have the same experience with cording or time drop off as others have stated here. I am running a 2008 cup. Last year I ran a 2004 cup. In both cases I would run the tires to cords rather than heat cycling out. I would say that on average I get about 8 heat cycles out of a set of tires.

As far as time drop off, I am one of the guys that bgeire had referenced that I am turning under the 1:30 mark. That is with tires that have had 6 heat cycles on them. I did, in fact, break the track record on both Saturday and Sunday winning overall on Sunday in close competition with a fellow in an identically prepared 2009 cup (he is prepared by our tech) who was on Pirelli's and was only a few hundreths of a second off of my time.

I would love to think that a different tire is going to be even 2 seconds faster than what I have, but I know that is just a dream.

I have not had the experience where a Hoosier has blown out, and I am pretty rough on tires. I have had several VERY bad experiences with the Michelin. I actually see the Hoosier as the rough and rugged tire while the Yok/Mich/Pirelli is more delicate that need to be pampered more.

Thanks

Ed
There are tires that ARE 2 seconds faster than other tires, but unfortunately they are not bolt on and go. It does take testing and setup changes in most cases to get the optimum out of said tires. Most bolt on a set of the easiest accessible tire and continue to do so which in turn creates the testing and setup changes that I referred to without even realizing it.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philstireservice
There are tires that ARE 2 seconds faster than other tires, but unfortunately they are not bolt on and go. It does take testing and setup changes in most cases to get the optimum out of said tires. Most bolt on a set of the easiest accessible tire and continue to do so which in turn creates the testing and setup changes that I referred to without even realizing it.
Originally Posted by philstireservice
Phil,

My reference to 2 seconds (or as much as 7 as one poster states) is not a comparison of the R vs the S, but rather Hoosier vs brand X.

I changed cars this winter and went from a 6 cup to a 7 cup, but I did run the s's last year and thought they were great. I do also agree that a setup needs to be tuned to the tire that you are using and for me it can take several weekends to get just the way I like it.

That said, my first outing in the car this year was down at VIR for the NASA race and on Friday I was using some torn up clapped out Hoosier s's and got a time in the 1:59's (also green track since it was wet in the morning). On Saturday I put on a brand new set of Hoosier r's and slowed down a second. No matter how hard I tried, I could not earn that second back.

Wana911
About 2 to 3 laps if you try hard. Remember, your brakes are your tire warmers.

Thanks

Ed
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

It's probably a driving style and setup thing. Ive tried and tried to make the hoosiers (r and s) work because of the excellent contingency , but im always disappointed and much faster on pirellis or yoks over the course of a race. I think I'm probably over heating them. I can easily get them up to temp in less than 1 lap.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:50 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos
It's probably a driving style and setup thing. Ive tried and tried to make the hoosiers (r and s) work because of the excellent contingency , but im always disappointed and much faster on pirellis or yoks over the course of a race. I think I'm probably over heating them. I can easily get them up to temp in less than 1 lap.
And, I probably have the same problem going the other way. I have been on Hoosiers forever with only small ventures to other tires, but, to me, changing tires and brands is a huge commitment. Not something that you can simply jump around and get good results.

Thanks

Ed
Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I find the Hoosier's biggest advantage is at the start of the race, they have grip while the others' are still dangerously scary.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I time trial so time to temp is vital. I would only get a set for NASA Nationals because its the only event I can get 3 clean laps in a time trial. That and it will be hot so my usual A6 are not good over 80* or so.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:45 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

when I ran the 265/285-645 hoosiers I felt they were fast on the 1st lap. I may have over driven them but they seemed to fall off at the end (and then Ed passed me!!! lol). I did run a 60.x second lap at Pitt on them. But I think Ed got faster!!

Quick Reply: S80/100 vs R80/100 vs whatever