Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton/Motion Control Fill Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015 | 12:29 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Default Moton/Motion Control Fill Gauge

Anyone know the best place to buy a High Pressure Schrader gauge/fill hose for nitrogen fill on shock reservoirs?

I think they need to go to 300.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2015 | 01:01 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Shock+Inflator

Go with a digital gauge and the shorter the hose the better.
Old 04-03-2015 | 01:15 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Matt I agree that gauge is more accurate for checking pressures but for filling I use this unit from Longacre: http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7270

Once you've filled you can bleed and recheck establishing a baseline then refill to your desired pressure....
Old 04-03-2015 | 01:17 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Thats it!

Thank you
Old 04-03-2015 | 11:22 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

When you say "they" need to go to 300 do you mean the guage or the shock pressure? I run my Motons a 185-195 in accordance with advice from Lex - just FYI.
Old 04-03-2015 | 11:22 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

I too prefer and use the longer hose version, I've just found it easier to use on some rear canisters when they are tucked away in a mess of rollcage tubes out back.
I've learned approx. how much air I lose in the longer hose section, it's not much, and I always refill accordingly when checked. Typically I'm making a change anyway when doing it and I know where the pressure was based on notes.
I've used both and actually have both although I don't even use the short version anymore, my shorty is a Penske I believe, long version is a Longacre version.

Jellonailer,
If you'd like to try the long version at the track sometime let me know and you can try mine, I can bring up one of my small nitrogen tanks which makes it very easy to add with as well. Which car of yours has the Moton / MCS's ?
I saw the white 964 car at the PCA TWS club race but never could find you. I was up there Sat. and Sun.

See you at the track,
Viking

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Matt I agree that gauge is more accurate for checking pressures but for filling I use this unit from Longacre: http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7270

Once you've filled you can bleed and recheck establishing a baseline then refill to your desired pressure....
Old 04-03-2015 | 11:53 AM
jscott82
Drifting

I have been using this one.. Its for bikes so does not come with a "Motorsports" markup... The head and dial rotate freely, so it can sneak in to cluttered spaced pretty well.

Amazon.com: Topeak Shuttle Air Pressure Gauge Dial with Case: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Topeak Shuttle Air Pressure Gauge Dial with Case: Sports & Outdoors
Old 04-03-2015 | 11:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by jscott82
I have been using this one.. Its for bikes so does not come with a "Motorsports" markup... The head and dial rotate freely, so it can sneak in to cluttered spaced pretty well.

Amazon.com: Topeak Shuttle Air Pressure Gauge Dial with Case: Sports & Outdoors
I've had this one for a couple of years. I really like the fact that it bleeds down pressure in very small increments when needed. When I first got it the gauge pretty much matched my regulator output pressure all of the time. I've always kept it in it's case and protected but I used it last week after getting my shocks back from being rebuilt and now it reads 40lbs lower than my output regulator pressure. don't know which one is accurate now which is totally frustrating!!!
Old 04-03-2015 | 12:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

This is the one I have; it works great.
Old 04-03-2015 | 12:30 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Originally Posted by jscott82

Amazon.com: Topeak Shuttle Air Pressure Gauge Dial with Case: Sports & Outdoors
good find, it looks almost identical to my Penske gauge that costs twice as much
Old 04-03-2015 | 07:22 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Certz , 300 psi because I just guessed thats a typical gauge. I don't see many 200 or 250 psig in my business. Yes, I run 175 ish. But I did buy the longacre today!

Onefast - looked for you too that whole weekend. In fact the wife and 2 kids were the grid workers. My 964 has Motion Controls - courtesy Steve Wiener. Darn good set up.
Old 04-03-2015 | 09:47 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by jellonailer
Certz , 300 psi because I just guessed thats a typical gauge. I don't see many 200 or 250 psig in my business. Yes, I run 175 ish. But I did buy the longacre today!

Onefast - looked for you too that whole weekend. In fact the wife and 2 kids were the grid workers. My 964 has Motion Controls - courtesy Steve Wiener. Darn good set up.
I got there around 10AM both days, and was mostly in garages 1 and 2 working on a few cars. I saw yours in between 2/3 but never saw you there. I never walked up to up to grid, just stayed in garage area saying hello to people and working on a few.
I'm sporting a full beard at moment so I might look a little different too, not sure how long it'll last tho.
Motion Controls are magic, set up properly is the key, 175ish is about right for TWS, I'd go a little less for bumpier tracks like MSRH and Eagles, you'll basically be lessening the effective spring rate a little. I'm sure Steve W. has set you up well. Do you know what spring rate you have currently ?

BTW-any of these gauges recommended will work fine, it's just a little personal preference.
I would recommend using Nitrogen from a bottle for fill up tho. There are always a few people at the track that have Nitrogen bottles and can borrow if you don't want to invest in a bottle. If you let me know when you are going if I'm going also then I can bring my small bottle and regulator, it's easy to use.

Viking

Quick Reply: Moton/Motion Control Fill Gauge