Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you think drones should be allowed at the track?
Yes, with a good set of guidelines.
40.00%
No, I don't want them.
45.19%
I think it needs to be studied more.
14.81%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Drones at PCA events - Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Besides, can't you guys in the US just bring a gun to shoot down the flying toys? ;-)
Now that I would pay to see!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Besides, can't you guys in the US just bring a gun to shoot down the flying toys? ;-)
I saw the wink and all, but you do bring up a point; can the PCA, NASA, SCCA or track owner prevent a drone from flying over the area? From what I've read, as long as a drone operator has line of sight on the aircraft it can be flown over private property without permission of the owner.

I'm not defending the practice, but I know it's a big issue right now and there's been a lot of discussion on the subject with some new legislation proposed.

I know airspace above 400' is public, and the FAA is proposing a 500' ceiling for amateur drones, so a you couldn't stop someone flying a drone above 400' and below 500' since it's public airspace. Probably need a big lens...
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Slightly OT:

Here in Texas do you know what we call low flying drones ???

Skeet !

I'm from the no drones on track camp. I'm not against drones, I'm just worried about all the humans that will be attempting to control them with little to no training. The drone pilots also have not much to lose, where the guys on track stand much more to lose.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Yearly ago when this was all fairly new, I remember seeing one just off track and I couldn't take my eyes off it (like a new shiny object ) and thought, what the heck is that? The video footage taken from that drone was unreal however.

This would never fly with tracks or sanctioning bodies, but I'd love to have a drone fly over my car while on track during a race to get me yet another angle of video/data to see where I could improve. The problem is everyone else might want that as well.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Because, hey, why not offer additional distractions to my student driver. And besides, since many tracks adjoin airports--NJMP locally-- those guys will also like having them hover around.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
This would never fly with tracks or sanctioning bodies, but I'd love to have a drone fly over my car while on track during a race to get me yet another angle of video/data to see where I could improve. The problem is everyone else might want that as well.
GPS in drone slaved to GPS in car to follow car around racetrack. A gaggle of drones over a gaggle of cars jockeying for position on a race track. Yep, no problem with that .

Would drone to drone contact constitute a 13/13?

-Mike
Old 04-01-2015, 02:35 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me say I'm a big RC fan - planes, quad-copters - I have more than a few! Model rockets, too.

I'm also a photographer, so I understand that side as well. And I've mounted small cameras on the planes, quads and rockets and flown them, so I understand.

It seems to me the reality of this situation is, to follow AMA (not the medical community, the Academy of Model Aeronautics) guidelines, you need to fly away from people and never over people. That in itself makes it hard to operate at a track. Then you want to stay away from the track surface, but how far away? Tarmac outline, guard rails, fence line or 50-75-100 feet? I don't see that defined. If you are far enough away for safety reasons, that makes your super-wide angle GoPro like video not all that exciting. Now you are talking mounting a DSLR on the quad and flying that to get anything worthwhile. And all of this needs to be at the not-for-profit level, as selling images or footage violates current FAA regulations (i.e. you'd need a license).

And then there is your insurance liability should you hit someone or something. All of that seems to make this a less than appealing endeavor.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I don't see a problem with it. To me, the distraction to the driver argument is ridiculous. If you can't focus on the track, other planes, clouds, animals, etc are all going to be a problem for you and you shouldn't be on the track.

There's a lot to hit on the track that is much worse than a small drone.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:47 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No - too much can go wrong

Cool toy though...
Old 04-01-2015, 03:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This raises a bunch of fundamental questions about technology in general... every society develops norms of behavior and as technology evolves, must use a political process to develop new rules.

Remote control aircraft/Drones area case in point.

Somewhere in the continuum between a rubber-band propelled balsa plane and a military-grade remote control aircraft, there is a grey area.... don't know where it is, but a line none the less.

A drone may seem like a fun toy, but we all know that 95% of people are reasonable, and 5% are total jerks who will just push and push until something stupid happens... this is why 95% of us pay a Trillion Dollars a year in taxes to protect ourselves from a handful of Asshats.

We don't let just anybody fly a Commercial Aircraft, and there are strict licensing procedures for General Aviation. We only allow commissioned Military personnel to fly armed aircraft.

Whose going to regulate the use of drones?

At to the point at hand, some questions..

1. What benefit does this give the majority of participants?

2. Who regulates the use of the drone (somebody has to be hired and paid by the club to do this).

3. If there is an accident, who pays for the damage? Is the operator licensed and insured? Is the club going to increase their insurance premium to cover this?

If you are operating a drone at the track, crash it and cause bodily injury to a driver, I wouldn't want to be you, because you'll get your *** sued, and I doubt your insurance company will support you... you'll probably lose your house... is it worth it?

Just some questions...
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one made me duck when coming to a conerer. yes im an ******* but my reflexes dont lie. BAN
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S

1. What benefit does this give the majority of participants?
That's a great question...

To me, it fits in the same place as alcohol at the track. No consumption while the event is going on... so don't eat drones while the event is in progress. I mean... don't operate drones while the event is in progress.

It's too much risk for very little benefit to majority participants.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:07 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

When in doubt, the standard I always use - "What if everybody did it"
You are opening it up to everyone to bring their drone.... Now you have 45 wives and kids running these things while Daddy is on track .... Do I see all those people following a long list of complicated rules?... hell no...

Open it to a single contracted professional photographer, one who you can examine his equipment and hold him accountable. I don't see an issue there...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Open it to a single contracted professional photographer, one who you can examine his equipment and hold him accountable. I don't see an issue there...

Good point. Same way that not everyone with a camera is allowed access to the track to take pictures.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same drone (Phantom) and I'm pretty good at flying it, even in tight quarters.
In an open airspace, like at a racetrack, there's nothing to it.
And it's so light and flimsy, that even if, God forbid, it came into contact with a speeding car, I don't even think anything would happen (except the drone would be destroyed). Heaviest part of the whole thing is the GoPro.
I have to say that I'd love to see them allowed, I've flown them at events and everyone that sees the footage loves it.
However, agreed; it would need some guidelines and regulations or it would get way out of hand.
Have a look here:

I also have some great footage from Monticello but promised never to post it for privacy reasons.

Quick Reply: Drones at PCA events - Poll