Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat cycled tires risk sustained high speed failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You might be seeing some institutional history/memory going on with the wording. At a Silver State long ago they had a car with OEM tires that failed and caused a nasty crash. IIRC there have been a few other tire induced crashes at the high speed events. They are just covering the bases and making sure people are on top of things regarding tires.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
The car is a 991 GT3 with either OEM Dunlap or Michelin tires (don't have the car yet). In my class, the race is 90 miles at an average speed of 130mph. There will likely be 10 mile sections driven at 145mph.

These speeds are well within the Y ratings (186mph) of the tires. The Chief Tech's advice was based on an apparent correlation between tire failures and prior track use. When I see him in May I will press for more details.
Ahhh... a 991 GT3 on the main straight at Summit Point will go 145MPH. If you are doing 10 mile sections in a GT3, then I'd assume max speed, unless you have a block of wood under the throttle.

But sounds like you have it covered. 186mph sounds about right.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Ahhh... a 991 GT3 on the main straight at Summit Point will go 145MPH. If you are doing 10 mile sections in a GT3, then I'd assume max speed, unless you have a block of wood under the throttle.
Well yes, there is a block of wood -- of sorts. Each class in the race has a max speed that you cannot exceed. In the case of the 130mph class the max speed is 165mph (there is also a minimum speed, 110mph in this class). So to achieve an average speed of 130mph, you can't spend much time over 145mph.

It has been my experience that there is a big difference between briefly touching a speed like 145mph versus holding it steady for 5 minutes. Now maybe once I get my car I'll find it easier, but it is something I plan to gradually work up to.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Well yes, there is a block of wood -- of sorts. Each class in the race has a max speed that you cannot exceed. In the case of the 130mph class the max speed is 165mph (there is also a minimum speed, 110mph in this class). So to achieve an average speed of 130mph, you can't spend much time over 145mph.

It has been my experience that there is a big difference between briefly touching a speed like 145mph versus holding it steady for 5 minutes. Now maybe once I get my car I'll find it easier, but it is something I plan to gradually work up to.
Sounds like you have it covered.

Give us an update.... but post pictures!!!!

Quick Reply: Heat cycled tires risk sustained high speed failure?