Sponsored by:

1st time at dragstrip '05 turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1st time at dragstrip '05 turbo S

Hello I need some tips on how to properly launch at the dragstrip.

I'm in a 996 Turbo S with Tiptronic and the track elevation is 6000ft. I'm not sure what the DA was yesterday morning when I did my runs, but my best result of the day was:
  • Reaction:0.41
  • 60ft:2.72
  • 1/4 ET:13.38
  • 1/4 MPH: 115.77

My problem is obviously launch, but I have no idea how to get this car going off the line. The automatic trans really doesn't leave me with many options.

One guy told me to basically power brake it at 2000rpm and let off. His reasoning was to get the turbos spooling, but I doubt there's much spooling happening at that rpm anyway. And I can only imagine the damage happening to the trans.

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 PM
MrBlah
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The advice given to you is correct for the drag strip. Just to give you an idea, the hobbyist drag cars you see, like the old Camaros, Mustangs, etc. all have an automatic transmission as well as what is called a stall converter. A stall converter is a torque converter that you load with the engine up to its designated rpm with a trans brake and the brake pedal. In you're car, there is a torque converter, just not quite built to hold stalls up above 2000rpm very much. From a durability standpoint, it will wear out your torque converter faster than normal, but you shouldn't have too accelerated problems with the transmission. I suggest trying it up to 1500rpm a few times to get an idea of how the car feels when you do it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones R
  • Reaction:0.41
  • 60ft:2.72
  • 1/4 ET:13.38
  • 1/4 MPH: 115.77
One guy told me to basically power brake it at 2000rpm and let off. His reasoning was to get the turbos spooling, but I doubt there's much spooling happening at that rpm anyway. And I can only imagine the damage happening to the trans.
Your 60 is horrible but with that ET and Top End the car is obviously pulling nicely once it gets rolling. As a reference point, my 8,000lb+ Dodge 3500 ran sub 2 second 60's. You should be able to do even better once you figure out how to deal with the turbo lag off the line.

In the Dodge I would stage early and when the other guy rolled into the lights I would boost up to 12lbs (by powerbraking). Any more boost and all four tires would just go up in smoke. You'll have to experiment to figure out what your car wants.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

obviously he is spinning the tires hard on the launch or you are just rolling out of the gate.

That is my car below i use to launch the car at 5500 rpm but it was made to do that. I would try two things, try and see how high you can hold the rpm up before the wheel spins or its creeps forward, hold it and then smash the gas.
the other option is to flat punch it off the line, see what works best and then adjust from there.

you do not have slicks so if you are spinning or screeching the tires its slowing you down, that is why your 60' is off and im guessing that is why your reaction time was good as well. I bet if you put a good tire on it alot would change. With that MPH you should be a 12.3 or so.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, for the record it's awd so I don't have to worry about wheel spin.

I think the problem is 3-fold, auto trans+major turbo lag+high altitude = excruciatingly slow take-off. I'll post some video soon, but I'm not optimistic about much improvement.

I did get a 12.8et @ 115mph when I held the rpm at 2000, but it still felt really slow.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jones R
Thanks for the replies, for the record it's awd so I don't have to worry about wheel spin.

I think the problem is 3-fold, auto trans+major turbo lag+high altitude = excruciatingly slow take-off. I'll post some video soon, but I'm not optimistic about much improvement.

I did get a 12.8et @ 115mph when I held the rpm at 2000, but it still felt really slow.
Got some suggestions from others. Looks like I also need to drop tire pressure to 20psi and turn off traction control. Oops totally forgot about PSM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Can the rear handle when the tire grips and pulls down the car, im not sure if you ever walked the starting line of a drag strip but you can barely lift your feet while walking.

When i first started racing we used a standard slick and ran 6 pds of pressure, a lot of fun going 120+ in a 3700pd car trying to stop it, the new breed of tire like in my mustang above i would put 30 pds because it was a radial.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Jones R
Advanced

I guess I'll find out this Sunday
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

In stock form, I would not be drag racing a Porsche I cared about.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It's a tiptronic. How else are you suppose to have any fun.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
My Dad always said "the right tool for the right job." Get that thing on a road course where it belongs. Your interest in drag racing should quickly vanish but if not, go buy some jughead's used Chevy and beat the snot out of that instead of your awesome Porsche. I mean, c'mon.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
My Dad always said "the right tool for the right job." Get that thing on a road course where it belongs. Your interest in drag racing should quickly vanish but if not, go buy some jughead's used Chevy and beat the snot out of that instead of your awesome Porsche. I mean, c'mon.
Generally, I agree with your dad's saying. If I were competing in a NHRA bracket, I would certainly buy a top-fuel dragster.

If I simply want to accelerate my sports car at its full potential, I take it to the dragstrip. Some people choose to test their car on a back road or the interstate, which I think is irresponsible and risky.

As for track-day, I've had my turbo on the local track and it was extremely fun. I only went once, and probably wont return until I'm ready to start replacing/upgrading parts on my car.

Finally, I disagree with anyone that says my car doesn't belong at the dragstrip. I think someone would only say that if they haven't actually been to a dragstrip. Try it out, it's very fun and you meet people with vastly different cars but who all share the same love of motorsports, e.g. if you're ever in Albuquerque, NM stop by the strip and you'll probably meet a guy named Cameron, who is one of the top tuners for Subaru boxers. He has a 917hp wrx wagon (yes that's 4 drag radials)

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drag raciing a Porsche !!- gonna report you to the Porsche. Yes it could all be over in a few seconds. You own the car or the bank?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 220 Posts

While I'm not a drag racing fan, there is a BIG cohort of people dragging their 911 turbos. With AWD and ECU/exhaust/intake mods the cars can get 600-900 HP and run 1/4 miles in the 10s fairly easily.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's my problem. I just could never drop the clutch on any car I've owned. Launch control is different.

Quick Reply: 1st time at dragstrip '05 turbo S