Sponsored by:

Windows Nets

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windows Nets

Ok, let me ask a stupid question.... what is the purpose of a window net? Is it solely to keep my arms in the car during a rollover or is there another reason? I am having a hell of a time trying to install one in my 996.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It keeps your arms in, and other stuff out. If you've ever driven an open wheel car, you know just how shocking it can be to get clocked in the head by even the smallest piece of debris at 120 mph. Even worse, very few folks drive with a shield down in an enclosed car (I rarely do), so any debris that comes through the window has a direct path to your face.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

I have removed my shield completely. I got hit in the nose by a piece of rubber off the car in front of me once. Got my attention!!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard Window nets are are result of a crash a Riverside. The driver slammed in to a concrete wall flat on the driver's side. There were pictures of his head going out the window and the helmet hitting the wall. After that window nets were required to prevent this contact.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Howard
Racer

In the POC GCR's ,an alternative to the window net would be arm restraints. I'm not sure what the PCA requires but it may be an option if you can tolerate the limited movement of your arms.
I keep my shield down all the time since I was witness to a close friend going off in the mud and getting a face and mouth FULL of nasty/toxic waste sludge at Buttonwillow. ( and that was with a window net)
I think a window net serves the purpose of keeping your arm from protruding during a crash or roll , if it's really bad and your harness fails, you're done anyway. The nets I have seen will not keep a 200 lb body, free of the restraint system from exiting the window. JMO

Quick Reply: Windows Nets