Sponsored by:

Sebring T17 dangerous tire walls

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by j patterson
I've never driven Sebring so I have never paid much attention to in car video. THIS is a fascinating discussion however because one watch of the crash video in the original post makes it glaringly obvious that this is a difficult corner that somehow confuses one's instincts. What bothered me watching it at first was that to my eyes the driver turned in WAY early and thus apexed early too. As only an HPDE driver with a bit of racing school experience I'm sure that my lines are conservative. Especially since I spent most of my track time in an Audi. Your discussion of apexing before the bridge looks wrong to my eyes. Testament that it is a difficult corner to wrap ones brain around. I've got to get down there soon. bucket list track. Hope you guys don't mind my posting occasionally. All I can give you is the 60 year old advanced student's perspective. BTW --- Thanks to all of you who instruct and make this stuff possible. I get a bit uneasy in the right seat.
This might help visualize the apex(s)... Or confuse you as it does the rest of us!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

What a marvelous challenge...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM
j patterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
This might help visualize the apex(s)... Or confuse you as it does the rest of us!
Yes it does. As does this below. I would probably diamond the thing and be wide under the bridge just before turning in again and late apexing the last part. It would be slow but safe :-)

https://goo.gl/maps/85vI3
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Best thread ever here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...turn-17-a.html
Old 01-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a fun thread. I was at this race so I saw the aftermath of the incident (lots of fiberglass but nothing as bad as my group) The weekend was my first time at Sebring too. Toughest track to work through I've been to. Which in turn makes it one of the most fun tracks I've been to. I can't wait to go back to Sebring now that I have time to digest the weekend.

I spent 15 minutes with Peter going over video, looking at line, throttle application, etc from this weekend. All I can say is that his ability to verbalize what you need to do to change your line and maximize time at WOT, especially through 17 and 1 is second to none. He's worth every penny, especially in getting up to speed on new courses and getting over the hump on your regular courses.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

By the way, I still have room in the instructor and advanced solo groups for my February 21 and 22 drivers Ed if anyone wants to come practice.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by j patterson
Yes it does. As does this below. I would probably diamond the thing and be wide under the bridge just before turning in again and late apexing the last part. It would be slow but safe :-)

https://goo.gl/maps/85vI3
Ah, but unless you can visualize the bumps, that picture doesn't even begin to tell you where the apexe(s) is or are. looking at my data tonight, most of my lateral G max are in the 1.8 range. Then there are a few dots out there in 2.3 land. I assume those are bumps.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, Scott.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I forgot about that thread. I especially liked this quote.

You just have to realize that like exiting T1, going through T10 and T13 (Tower Turn), continual passage at adequate speed through T17 will EVENTUALLY make you **** blood and break the car!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter's earlier post rings through to me; about recognizing when you're in trouble early enough to compensate for it.

Quick Reply: Sebring T17 dangerous tire walls