Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPD trailer ordered, what do I need to change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPD trailer ordered, what do I need to change?

Originally Posted by mooty
^ tell victor, john H said hi and that you know me. so he will know you are **** and do a better job ;-))
I already told Victor and he said Porsche guys are his favorite.

So my current design is:

8.5x 34' Gooseneck, triple 7k axles, interior height increase to 9 ft, 4 post hydraulic lift to stack cars, 2 16" spare wheels and tires, Stone guard package, d-rings, 60" ramp extension, 6' of wall cabinets; L-shaped front workbench with generator door and sliding rack, 6 drawer toolbox, Superwinch 4000SR and steps up to gooseneck nose; The lighting package with 2 flourescent lights, 2 quartz pan lights, 2 outlets and shore power plug. 50' of e-track location to be finalized, an 8' tire rack across the front of the gooseneck nose.

I think that's it. So what did i forget?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

What you towing this with?

Stackers are not pickup truck friendly
Old 01-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of the quartz lights they have used in the past. Way too much power and they run really hot. I'd try hard to use as much LED 12V lighting as possible. I do love the 120V fluorescent lights in mine, I think I have 3 in my 28' trailer. More is better. I'd probably ditch them today in favor of LEDs.

I have an outlet near the door and the folding table that supplies power for the laptop, and outlets at the rear inside and rear outside of the trailer. (Don't want to have to open the door if you want power outside.) Also an outlet on the side of the L-workbench to supply power to the coffee and to the chargers for radios, etc. More is better here to.

I have an Onan 4200 generator in mine, the largest that fits the sliding rack easily. It runs the heat/AC and a coffee pot at the same time as the normal lighting power.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
What you towing this with? Stackers are not pickup truck friendly
F-450 extended cab chassis cab with 9' flatbed. But the trailer won't be the standard 13' 6" that most are only 11' 4".

Last edited by rluciano; 01-17-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added details
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had it to do over again, I'd ditch the built-in tool box and work bench. I'd get a big 'ol Snap On box and wheel it in and out as necessary. It has enough counter space, and you can customize the counter top material as desired (wood, metal, carpet, rubber, whatever).

What size generator are you planning to use? I'd go bigger than the Honda EU3000is that I've got.

The Warn winch with synthetic rope and wireless remote is the ticket. Montoya (on RL) has one. Ping him for details.

I always use my AC and awning. I wish I'd bought the awning that is all-electric and has no support posts. That's trick. It even stows itself if the wind is too much.

Check out my trailer diary for lots of good info. Feel free to ping me via PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto on the wireless remote for the winch...life will be good with it.

Get GOOD LT tires mounted on all 6 wheels.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a 6500 watt generator on mine, runs AC and everything else on the trailer. And if you want to be a good neighbor the trailer next to you. Generators are like cars never enough power. As far as the winch is concerned be sure to get one big enough to drag your car onto the trailer in the event of severe damage, loss of one or more wheels, I went with a 10k winch overkill for most things but.....

How are you mounting your tire rack?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Be sure your wireless remote has enough range to work from where you will be standing (often adjacent to driver's side door in case you need to make mid-course corrections).
Mine is aftermarket (installer forgot I wanted remote) and marginal at that range. In my case it may be a function of where the sensor is mounted).
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

One item I changed on my trailer was the door extension. I also had the 60-in extension but it made the door so heavy at the end of a long day it would take 2 people to lift it up. I took it off and went with race ramps as my extension instead. Much easier to handle.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'm not a fan of the quartz lights they have used in the past. Way too much power and they run really hot. I'd try hard to use as much LED 12V lighting as possible. I do love the 120V fluorescent lights in mine, I think I have 3 in my 28' trailer. More is better. I'd probably ditch them today in favor of LEDs.

I have an outlet near the door and the folding table that supplies power for the laptop, and outlets at the rear inside and rear outside of the trailer. (Don't want to have to open the door if you want power outside.) Also an outlet on the side of the L-workbench to supply power to the coffee and to the chargers for radios, etc. More is better here to.

I have an Onan 4200 generator in mine, the largest that fits the sliding rack easily. It runs the heat/AC and a coffee pot at the same time as the normal lighting power.
Ok, more outlets. Do you know what LEDs TPD offers to replace the quartz lights?

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
If I had it to do over again, I'd ditch the built-in tool box and work bench. I'd get a big 'ol Snap On box and wheel it in and out as necessary. It has enough counter space, and you can customize the counter top material as desired (wood, metal, carpet, rubber, whatever).

What size generator are you planning to use? I'd go bigger than the Honda EU3000is that I've got.

The Warn winch with synthetic rope and wireless remote is the ticket. Montoya (on RL) has one. Ping him for details.

I always use my AC and awning. I wish I'd bought the awning that is all-electric and has no support posts. That's trick. It even stows itself if the wind is too much.

Check out my trailer diary for lots of good info. Feel free to ping me via PM.
I was thinking of the Honda EU3000is too, Victor said good things about it. But maybe I "need" larger.

I forgot to list 15,000 AC, and vinyl curtain in front of the car so the nose and workbench / seating area can stay cool.

Originally Posted by rlm328
I have a 6500 watt generator on mine, runs AC and everything else on the trailer. And if you want to be a good neighbor the trailer next to you. Generators are like cars never enough power. As far as the winch is concerned be sure to get one big enough to drag your car onto the trailer in the event of severe damage, loss of one or more wheels, I went with a 10k winch overkill for most things but.....

How are you mounting your tire rack?
Wow, that is a lot of winch. Most of my cars are 944 family, so how big would you think is enough to drag one on the trailer, but not the overkill of your 10k?

Tire rack will be fixed and mounted on the front wall of the gooseneck. With over 5' of height in the nose, I could put two across the front, but that seems like overkill.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the winch is concerned be sure to get one big enough to drag your car onto the trailer in the event of severe damage, loss of one or more wheels, I went with a 10k winch overkill for most things but....
I understand the idea, but is it really worth tearing up a nice trailer to drag a bent car into it this way? I've seen moving dollies or carpet deployed to do this after raising the front of the trailer to reduce the angle difference between the floor and the ramp. Personally, I would try just about anything before making a mess of the trailer like this.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I understand the idea, but is it really worth tearing up a nice trailer to drag a bent car into it this way? I've seen moving dollies or carpet deployed to do this after raising the front of the trailer to reduce the angle difference between the floor and the ramp. Personally, I would try just about anything before making a mess of the trailer like this.
You use boards as a sled. Most tracks will not let you leave a broken car behind, to retrieve with a different trailer. Most amateur racers do not have a lot of room for things like dollies. The 944s are known for breaking lower a arms and you need the ability to get a crippled car on a trailer.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:30 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You use boards as a sled.
That sounds a lot better, good idea.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

just ask victor, they have large LED lights for exterior to replace quartz

honda 3000 is not enough to run the AC
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

The Superwinch 4000SR (synthetic, not cable) is a fine choice. Have had them in both trailers I've owned. Just order the wireless remote in addition to the cable one (backup).

Quick Reply: TPD trailer ordered, what do I need to change?