Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 C2 PSS10 H&R Sways - settings starting point

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014 | 02:59 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Default 996 C2 PSS10 H&R Sways - settings starting point

This is a new to me car and I have never driven it on the track.
Car: 2002 911 RWD Coupe with PSS10 and H&R adjustable sway bars.
Tires: will most likely be Hankook RS3 v2 215/255 17" (slightly wider up front than stock so may induce slightly more front end grip, less understeer?)
Me: in previous cars I ran solo/advance/instructor group. I used to drive a S2000 so very capable of handling oversteer However, I am very new to the 911 handling characteristics.
Goals: understanding corner entry, mid corner and corner exit limits.

With the above parameters, I would like to have a somewhat "neutral" initial setup and then change it accordingly to my driving style, track conditions, etc.

Questions:

What should be my initial shock settings for the PSS10's front/rear?

What should be my initial sway bar settings (front, rear)? Which sway bar holes? (the rear has three holes and the front has two)

I am assuming that fine tune changes will be within the shock settings and larger scale changes will be within the sway bar settings?
Old 12-25-2014 | 12:44 AM
jj1
Rennlist Member

I'm a previous s2k driver too. I have 2 track days on my 02 996 c2 now. My set up is bone stock with seat, brake pads (pagid yellow front, black rear) and gt3 split CAs for alignment. Car came with 225/285 Mich SS.
If PSS10 are anything like PSS9, there is no adj. Just harsh or mush. Never driven a car with 10s though. Those are some tiny tires. 996 is very different dynamically than the s2k. You have to load the fronts into the corner than ease into gas to manage exit understeer in my car. Rotates very nicely that way and has no problem putting down power at all. With those size tires it may be different though.
My biggest complaint about my set up now is exit understeer, so I'd err on the loose side. More rear bar. That should help keep the inside front tire down but will only exacerbate the effects of the open diff. Hope that helps a little!

JJ
Old 12-25-2014 | 10:27 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

For learning a new car or track, I always set up the sway bars to promote understeer as that's a safe way to learn. As I get more comfortable with the car/track throughout the day, I will dial that out through sway bar adjustments.

Keep in mind that actively managing weight transfer will also allow you to manage grip and therefore handling.
Old 12-25-2014 | 10:39 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

I have a 996 race car with GT3 sways and Moton shocks. I would say start the pss10's as stiff as they will go as they are not very stiff to begin with as far as track shocks go. Sways full stiff in the front and full soft in the rear. 2 holes in the front is not a lot of adjustment unfortunately. This set up should give you some understeer which is where you want to start. If the car pushes too much try softening up the front. BTW you will never get a 911 variant to be neutral. That's why they are so much fun to drive and tough to master.
Old 12-25-2014 | 04:38 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Should I go full stiff on the shocks on street tires? Thanks for the suggestions on initial understeer.
Old 12-25-2014 | 07:58 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by davidnyc
Should I go full stiff on the shocks on street tires? Thanks for the suggestions on initial understeer.
No problem doing so at all.

In my dual-purpose 964 the PSS10s stayed that way.
Old 12-25-2014 | 09:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by davidnyc
I hesitated to respond to this thread earlier as there are so many variables at play here. But.... the only objection I have to all the advise is to loosen those front shocks a little (middle) to help with the understeer. I agree dialing in the car for understeer but really it's going to do that regardless (it's a 996). Have some fun with your setup, play around and change things, and don't overinflate your tires. Find a open area or skid pad and play with your car in a circle using only your right foot and steering inputs to get a feel for the car.

When you're ready to go further get yourself some 18" rims and decent sized tires (245f, 280r). Do that before anything else....

Oh and most importantly, get yourself a good coach even if just for a day. It's just too easy to develop bad habits in a 911 based car...
Old 12-25-2014 | 11:32 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I hesitated to respond to this thread earlier as there are so many variables at play here.

When you're ready to go further get yourself some 18" rims and decent sized tires (245f, 280r). Do that before anything else....

Oh and most importantly, get yourself a good coach even if just for a day. It's just too easy to develop bad habits in a 911 based car...
Thanks for all the advice. I realize the variables and that is why I just wanted an initial baseline setting. Thanks for the advice on wheels. I may look for some OEM 18 (996/997).

Quick Reply: 996 C2 PSS10 H&R Sways - settings starting point