Sponsored by:

Advice sought for Monterey Historics spectating

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Advice sought for Monterey Historics spectating

Starting to plan a trip for next August to see the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach Concours. Not so interested in the auctions, but very interested in seeing the vintage racing. Seeking advice from anyone who has done the Monterey/Pebble Beach week: when to get tickets, where to stay, best days/events to see, insider tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,711 Posts

You will LOVE it! The racing is great, the cars fantastic and the people very nice.

I do think that if you're intent on spectating both Saturday and Sunday (two different race programs, completely different cars running each day) I would spring for the Rolex Hospitality or the track's VIP program, with food and viewing area close to the track. I think you can, with tickets, always tour the paddock, but it's really nice to take a load off and watch from up high with full beverage service.

I used to stay in Seaside, Monterey and Carmel, but now I'm in Salinas. All lodging is horrifically expensive and the traffic close to the peninsula is insane. Book rooms where you can, NOW. Most are taken, from year to year.

I've been for the last half dozen years, usually working with Klub Sport, Virtuoso, Arrowlane and KTR Engineering drivers. It's simply incredible. If you can, come the previous weekend (Pre-Reunion), they made it a spectator event for the first time (IIRC) last year, only Saturday and Sunday, but MUCH less crowded and very nice way to see a variety of cars up close.

Can't say much about CI, The Quail, Gordon McCall's deal or Pebble, but you should make plans to attend Tuesday's Concours on the Avenue (Ocean Avenue) in Carmel, if you're there. Doug and Jeanie Freedman do a terrific job with that event and it's worth going early to find a parking space close. It's also free. A rare word around these parts at that time of year...

It's awesome. You'll love it! Did I mention, find a room and book it now? <grin>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this place....
http://www.thecolonialterrace.com/accommodation-en.html

This is also wonderful....
http://seaviewinncarmel.com/accommodations/

Yes, spring for the hospitality at the track. It's right next to the track between turns 4-5. Great spot. Parking included.

Tuesday's Concours on the Avenue (Ocean Avenue) in Carmel is a must-see. Bring a jacket. It can be cool in August in Carmel (and probably foggy). But the track will be hot.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Both sold out! It's CRAZY!

If you can go in with some folks and do AirBnB or VRBO, that's not a bad alternative.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:07 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You will LOVE it! The racing is great, the cars fantastic and the people very nice.

I do think that if you're intent on spectating both Saturday and Sunday (two different race programs, completely different cars running each day) I would spring for the Rolex Hospitality or the track's VIP program, with food and viewing area close to the track. I think you can, with tickets, always tour the paddock, but it's really nice to take a load off and watch from up high with full beverage service.

I used to stay in Seaside, Monterey and Carmel, but now I'm in Salinas. All lodging is horrifically expensive and the traffic close to the peninsula is insane. Book rooms where you can, NOW. Most are taken, from year to year.

I've been for the last half dozen years, usually working with Klub Sport, Virtuoso, Arrowlane and KTR Engineering drivers. It's simply incredible. If you can, come the previous weekend (Pre-Reunion), they made it a spectator event for the first time (IIRC) last year, only Saturday and Sunday, but MUCH less crowded and very nice way to see a variety of cars up close.

Can't say much about CI, The Quail, Gordon McCall's deal or Pebble, but you should make plans to attend Tuesday's Concours on the Avenue (Ocean Avenue) in Carmel, if you're there. Doug and Jeanie Freedman do a terrific job with that event and it's worth going early to find a parking space close. It's also free. A rare word around these parts at that time of year...

It's awesome. You'll love it! Did I mention, find a room and book it now? <grin>
Originally Posted by MikeJim
I love this place....
http://www.thecolonialterrace.com/accommodation-en.html

This is also wonderful....
http://seaviewinncarmel.com/accommodations/

Yes, spring for the hospitality at the track. It's right next to the track between turns 4-5. Great spot. Parking included.

Tuesday's Concours on the Avenue (Ocean Avenue) in Carmel is a must-see. Bring a jacket. It can be cool in August in Carmel (and probably foggy). But the track will be hot.
Great advice, guys. Thanks! Working on hotel options now. You're right--almost everything is booked. Looking at VRBO as well. At this point, only guaranteed bet may be to buy a $1M Prevost or Newell motor coach and drive it from NY to CA so we have a place to stay. We can tow an Exige as our run-around car for when we get there. Probably cheaper, too.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Just made reservations for Carmel Valley Ranch. Pricey but looks gorgeous, with plenty of amenities and fun activities for the kids. Can't wait!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

First class! See you there!

Quick Reply: Advice sought for Monterey Historics spectating