How best to migrate from AiM's Race Studio 2 to RS 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How best to migrate from AiM's Race Studio 2 to RS 3

Looking for best practices if there are any.
I have the MXL Pista dash and SmartyCam HD if it matters.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Rick,

You don't really have to migrate anything. The setup of the MXL2, MXG, and MXS (when released) will be done in RS3, but you will still use RS2 for the dash setup and configuration.

Analysis will be done in RS2 for now, until they release analysis inside RS3.

For the Smartycam HD, you can do that through Smarty Manager or through RS3. Eventually it will be done inside RS3.

So, long winded way of saying keep doing what you are doing. Download data with RS2 and then go to analysis. You should have RS3 to stay up on the latest release of Analysis, but in practice you will be ok without staying up to date on all the small RS3 releases.

Does that help?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Matt
It does indeed; thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

As Matt says, no changes.

Everything (except MXL2 and MXG) use RS2 and/or SM2 (HD).

RS3 is not just a new hardware interface, it's a "package" with the latest releases of RS2, GPS Manager, SM2 and RSA. 100 MB download. That's why it's the only download option now.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could extend Rick's thread a bit... in RS2, it was easy to copy files from one computer to another (eg laptop to desktop). In RS3, it's more tricky - especially with smartycam hd video files - is it possible?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kristap
If I could extend Rick's thread a bit... in RS2, it was easy to copy files from one computer to another (eg laptop to desktop). In RS3, it's more tricky - especially with smartycam hd video files - is it possible?
Which fiels are you talking about?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
As Matt says, no changes.

Everything (except MXL2 and MXG) use RS2 and/or SM2 (HD).

RS3 is not just a new hardware interface, it's a "package" with the latest releases of RS2, GPS Manager, SM2 and RSA. 100 MB download. That's why it's the only download option now.
You can still get RS2 and will probably always be able to as it will still be the way to setup MXL, Evo4, and other karting products. The analysis portion will get rolled into RS3 at some point.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm
Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Which files are you talking about?
At least the data (.xrk) files for analysis which I realize use RS2 but the folder structures have changed and not sure how the video (.mov) files integrate for automatic syncing. I'd like to be able to use a more comfortable workstation vs the laptop used to download from the dash.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Krista, while the GPS time stamp is enabled for both the vid .mov's coming from your SC HD and the .xrk files generated by your MXL2, the sync function and ability to bring the video file up within the RS2 analysis window is not yet enabled.

Most folks are downloading their vid files to a folder in a structure that they can remember. I.e. in a folder with a particular venue, sanction or race weekend. The .xrk files should be in their default location as specified in your MXL2 config. Drag and drop both to a USB stick and place them in the folders on your desktop, making a new one for your vids. HTH.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Like Peter said, the data is put in a standard location and you handle the videos your own way. I personally have a video folder, then do it by track with the date in the "year-month-date" format so they always go in order. You could switch it around if you want it by date and then track.

I've had some people successfully use dropbox for all the data files. You still have to import the files into the second computer, but no need for a usb drive. The only problem is it can eat up a lot of dropbox space.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, Matt's hit upon my preferred method to share files among multiple computers. This insures I never get caught out at the track not having files I need. It also allows me at the track, when both the laptop and desktop I am using at analysis engagements are synched instantly across a common cell data connection.

In order to avoid massive files across multiple computers (and Dropbox can selectively synch folders and files, if you wish), I do not save video files to my Dropbox folders. Only data.

I set up Dropbox clients on every computer I have (MBA, iMac, Surface Pro 3, home net work and VIR driver development center office), then I download and set as default, the DATA folder in my shared Dropbox folder. With the addition of the meta data (Test properties), I can search by driver, track, date, sanctioning body and session) in that big folder, and when I open RS2, they're there! It's awesome!

When there is not a cell data or wireless link, the data is saved locally and synched automatically when there IS a connection, and when I get home, I fire up my home computer, it's synchs and I'm all set!

Now, I have MoTeC , VVBOX and Traqmate folders in my Dropbox folder, too, but each event must be nested within those folders to search most efficiently.

Good setup.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

I think this is related to this thread:

Someone sent me AIM files from an MX2 (I think) that have gpk, rrk, xrk extensions. I can't figure out how to get them into RS2 Analysis. It looks like I need to use RS3 to download the data in. but I think that I am missing the config file for the MX2??

Any insight? Thanks, Chris
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris P Lewis

Someone sent me AIM files from an MX2 (I think) that have gpk, rrk, xrk extensions. I can't figure out how to get them into RS2 Analysis. It looks like I need to use RS3 to download the data in. but I think that I am missing the config file for the MX2??

You have to import the file into RS2 Analysis. Once in Analysis, click the import button, select the file, and it will be in. I recommend copying the file to the C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio2\DATA (the default AiM data file location) before importing so its in the same spot as all your other files.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris P Lewis

Chris, Matt's advice is good.

You do not need any of the hardware files (configurations, or directions to the hardware on what and how to measure) or RS3 software (used to receive, edit and send configuration files for the latest hardware, the MXL2, MXG and MXS) to do what you want to do.

You WILL need the latest (or one of the latest) versions of Race Studio Analysis (included under Race Studio 2 software download) to open those files, however.

The latest downloads are here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm

Then, you can save the attachments your friend sent, I would recommend that before you import them to RSA that you copy them to their final resting place (the default folder is fine in RS2, it's different in RS3), then import.

RSA will always look for the files you've imported from the place you INITIALLY imported them from, so if they're in your download folder and you move them to C:/AiM/RaceStudio2/DATA, the next time you try and open, they won't be there.

Ask me how I know!

Good luck and see you at Sebring?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the speedy responses. I copied the 3 files to the directory that Matt said. I updated to RS2 2.55.32. When I select "Import Test" the only valid file type is *.drk. I put in *.* and tried each of the 3 files. All I get is "Invalid file type". I do not have a drk file, I have gpk, rrk and xrk files.

Not planning on Sebring next year Peter. I think I'll try multiple Road ATL (PCA, HSR and NARRA?) and some new PCA venues.

Quick Reply: How best to migrate from AiM's Race Studio 2 to RS 3