Sponsored by:

Élan/mazda prototype spec racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014 | 12:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
My 914 was almost Vintage by the time I was born!

IMHO, classes ebb and flow.

Time will tell which get the most things right.
Hahahaha!

ALL true!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-16-2014 | 12:34 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Elan, by itself, is not enough...
And some consider it a liability right now too.

I would love it if the class would grow, thrive and generally kick ***.

However there are so many reasons why it shouldn't and won't survive.

--SRF has an awesome dealer network. That is 75% of why it does spec so well. This does not have that and will not have that at anywhere near the same level.

--It's heavy and slow in the world of prototype purpose built racecars. Yes it's on par with the S2000 cars which are now pretty much only run in vintage (and as Peter says, just about the best vintage class out there).

--It's running with NASA. Nasa has a pretty poor record with open wheel/sportsracer classes. Yes there are some here and there but getting mixed into the tin top classes is bad at best. Put 10 spec prototypes out in a NASA group and hopefully 5 make it to the finish line. NASA is already packed to the gills with rungroups in the big regions. I don't see them making a new one for just a couple of cars.

--Spec sports racer was done before. L3 class of IMSA was almost the same idea. Took the Formula SCCA/Enterprises car, put a full body on it and go. Has a 160hp Mazda motor. VD (now Elan) chassis. Didn't survive. Slightly lower cost but not much lower.

--put a customer in it and a Stohr back to back and 99 times out of 100 they will pick the badass sounding 15,000 RPM churning Stohr.

--They aren't using slicks. Not a problem for me but many people who are spending that much money on a car want slicks.

--"complete" package. Except that doesn't include extra rims, rain tires, data system, etc. With a kit cost of 60, my guess is track ready cost will be closer to 75-80K once you include the build out of the car, paint, etc.

It offers one thing that the other classes don't. A windscreen. That's all I see. For some that is very important. For most it is a non-issue.

Quick Reply: Élan/mazda prototype spec racing