Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hoosier R7

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014 | 09:37 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

In October, I qualified on sticker 6's and raced on sticker 7's for the first time at the SCCA runoffs at a track I have never raced before. I ran them like the 6's and honestly can't say I noticed any difference at all. Maybe that was due to my inexperience with the track and focus on the race. Hoosier reps just told me to run the 7's just like the 6's. They were more expensive. During the race I had to rest them then push them and rest them and push them just like the 6's. I can't say anything about longevity since I sold them off as scrubs. I think the most important thing about 7's is that they are at least as good as 6's. I remember the S04's and they were lame compared to their predecessor.
Old 12-18-2014 | 10:32 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Surprised to hear about the low pressures since Hoosier has told me to target 38 hot.

The R6 is my favourite-driving tire, but I've had to scrap 2 or 3 low-time tires due to sidewall-to-tread splitting, so I've been trying everything else looking for an alternative. Hopefully the R7 allows me to go back to Hoosier with confidence.

You guys running "normal" track camber with these or less, again as per Hoosier for our rear-engined cars?
Old 12-19-2014 | 01:03 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
R7's take a bit longer to come in but are stiffer...and when they do come in, turn in and lateral response are notably better. Everything feels crisper...so the driver has to be much more precise IMHO and not get lazy & slide the car around as much as you could with the R6's. This may be the small "window" Luigi alludes to above. Dez...yes...but realize that at Sebring you may need to soften up dampers more than with the R6's, else risk the tire hopping over the bumps more and actually lowering overall grip. I dunno, I haven't yet driven them at Sebring.
I see, that makes sense. I actually like the soft sidewall of the 6's though, so I hope the difference is not too much.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
In October, I qualified on sticker 6's and raced on sticker 7's for the first time at the SCCA runoffs at a track I have never raced before. I ran them like the 6's and honestly can't say I noticed any difference at all. Maybe that was due to my inexperience with the track and focus on the race. Hoosier reps just told me to run the 7's just like the 6's. They were more expensive. During the race I had to rest them then push them and rest them and push them just like the 6's. I can't say anything about longevity since I sold them off as scrubs. I think the most important thing about 7's is that they are at least as good as 6's. I remember the S04's and they were lame compared to their predecessor.
A's or R's?
Old 12-19-2014 | 10:29 AM
MikeJim
Pro

I sure can't tell the diff between R6 and R7. Raptor must have one finely-tuned butt.
Old 12-19-2014 | 12:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Most people can't feel brake pressure differences or small variances in throttle position, either, but you can see these trends in the data. I can't see absolute grip because few are consistent enough to generate good data, but steering speed (response) and amplitude is a great indicator of tire characteristics.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2014 | 01:07 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I must compare data to see exactly how different they are. Having said that, reset the lap record at Daytona which I had set on RA-1 when I moved to BFG R1 then again when I went to R6 and now on R7.

Many variables at play (track and ambient temps plus driver development - thanks Peter!)

The turn in feel is more akin to the BFG R1 now IMHO.
Old 12-19-2014 | 01:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez

The turn in feel is more akin to the BFG R1 now IMHO.
Yep!
Old 12-19-2014 | 06:02 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Update on the size (wider) of the new R7.

Some of the larger sizes are being made in the R6 molds which are being re-tooled, so some of the R7's will NOT be any wider than the R6 was in that particular size.

Quick Reply: New Hoosier R7