Sponsored by:

Isaac Helmet restraint system

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:59 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&N users please note

I just got off the phone with Vaughan. He called to fill me in on the details of his crash. Long story short, he had a much bigger hit than we thought.

Vaughan was able to take a closer look at his helmet and Isaac system, and discovered some minor cracks in his helmet around both helmet mounts. This is actually a good thing, because the force necessary to crack the helmet would otherwise have gone into his upper neck. It also means that the dampers were working to reduce the velocity of his head, so, even though he slammed his helmet against the bar, it would have been worse with higher velocities.

Now, pay attention to this part, because it is safety related: He also spotted a slight bending of the lower damper mount, where the spherical rod end attaches to the damper. This does not happen in a frontal impact, but we theorized that it was possible in a significant lateral impact. It's not necessarily bad that this occurred because, again, that deformation absorbed some of the energy of the impact, as would a complete fracture.

It may not be possible to design a head and neck restraint that is completely reusable crash after crash. A well-know competitor's product is known to sometimes fracture after saving a driver's life, so these products should be considered sacrificial, like an air bag.

We have crash tested the same helmet more than once, but never the same Isaac system. If you crash using an Isaac product, please examine it carefully. If you have doubts about any component, replace it immediately, or at least contact us so we can discuss the situation.

If you have to replace a part, make sure it's not a body part.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:24 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure appreciate your comments here, Gregg. This is obviously of great interest to those of us with necks. Don't forget about us when you are de rigueur at Indy, Darlington and Spa!
Brandon
Old 08-28-2003, 09:50 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

We'll never forget the A Team members, Brandon. One day we will get you guys together at a company suite somewhere. Would Monaco be okay?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:03 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

I think that might work... I'll have to see if I can convince my fiancee it's worth it...

It's particularly scary to me, as a automotive safety systems engineer (ESP), to realize that it took me days (daze?) to compile all the damage to my safety restraints. My belts will be re-webbed as a matter of course, they're due anyway. But it took days to realize all the damage to the helmet and ISAAC. Wow.

Remember: a) Shiny side up, and b) black stuff good, wall, bad.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Vaughan, good to know about the Petty bar distance, 1 foot + away ... wow, I really hadn't visualized that kind of lateral movement. Will definately take a hard look at mine. Good to know on the Al seat, although I have changed mine out to a composite since a scare last year, its good to know how well they hold up. Glad that you are getting back to normal.

Quick Reply: Isaac Helmet restraint system