Sponsored by:

Race Studio 3 Question - MXL2 Dash Configuration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014 | 11:57 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Race Studio 3 Question - MXL2 Dash Configuration Thread

Might as well start this thread. Perhaps it will become a good source for people acquiring the new MXL2 dash and begin using Race Studio 3 for configuration definitions.

I've been experimenting with dash configurations for the MXL2 in RS3. A couple of questions......

1. Since the dash has an ambient light sensor, how can I take advantage of that capability to trigger the dash background to change from the standard "white" background to a more "night vision friendly" red background? I have defined two pages that contain the same setup with the only difference being the background color. I have assigned each page to one of the two buttons to facilitate a manual method to switch, but an automated one based on available ambient light sure would be nice.

2. Is it possible to configure the dash to change the background to RED when the driver over-revs the engine? I have an alarm LED configured (LED #6), but I think a RED dash background in daylight would be a good way to remind me that I just messed up!

3. Is the Gear calc procedure the same as it was for the MXL? I must have missed it in the documentation that was available.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I play with the software.
Old 11-27-2014 | 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Great ideas on auto triggers for the backlight color, and they will be forwarded to the dev crew.

Firmups will come frequently (to enable functionality and features) and the dash will prompt an update for the firmware automatically within RS3 when an Internet connection is present.

Yes, the gear calc is unchanged, AFAIK.

Instead of relying on the Italians, look for short video snippets from AiM Sports (US importer) on configuration and operation basics.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2014 | 02:10 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default WiFi Radio and Futures for MXL2

Is there any indication of the timeframe for enabling WiFi on the MXL2 device? The interesting thing that comes to mind when they get WiFi working properly is that it is not too big a step to stream data over the WiFi connection. Mobile app might be the key - take something like the UStream app and allow the MXL2 to connect to an in-car mobile device on the WiFi connection and start streaming the recorded video to a UStream channel.

Is there any documentation on how WiFi will work? Will it operate in Ad-Hoc mode (peer-to-peer connections - more likely I would think) or an infrastructure mode? Will we be able to sample data collected in real-time via this data connection?
Old 11-27-2014 | 03:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, no indication right now, but I would say sooner rather than later because that is a prioritized feature.

The current option is too slow and only functions peer-to-peer (appears as an AP, IIRC), and I think the idea is to integrate the infrastructure mode and improve the speed before full 802.11 and BT functionality is implemented.

I will ask about real time feed, but doubt it at this time, simply because of the required generation of several related (but not necessary for the info sent in Online mode) files and the need to assign metadata to this logged file for analysis purposes.

What I will test is whether "Online" mode can be outputted real-time while still logging. THEN, we can perhaps stream this info real time over wiFi or 4G/LTE.

Let's make sure basic funtionality, like wireless transfer of completed, logged files as well as "online" monitoring for testing configuration, as well as enabling infrastructure mode (so people like me can connect to several at once) work before tackling the streaming protocol.

Quick Reply: Race Studio 3 Question - MXL2 Dash Configuration Thread