Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RFC: spin out video

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003 | 01:48 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

The best BBQ I remember was from Center Point Pit BBQ in Hendersonville, TN not far from Old Hickory Lake I think. Went there as a kid with my great uncle. A shack type building, but the ribs rocked.
Old 08-20-2003 | 01:51 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Dunno much about BBQ; dyed in wool Yankee and all, but the thing I like about Red, Hot & Blue (there's one in Cherry Hill NJ, right near the Porsche dealership) is that Lee Atwater was one of the founding co-owners. They don't make 'em like Lee anymore. He and PJ O'Rourke, the original Republican Party Reptiles...

Brandon H
Old 08-20-2003 | 02:11 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking of close to the track BBQ -- anyone remember the name of the roadhouse just north of Sebring on the US highway. Good barbeque and great gator tail.
Old 08-20-2003 | 10:13 PM
Spike Engineering
4th Gear

Any recommendations for good BBQ's along I-80 between Northern California and Laramie,Wyoming, including a sidetrip to the Tetons and Dubois?
Old 08-21-2003 | 12:20 AM
User 41221
Banned

Best kept secret in the KC area is Haywards BBQ... I went to Arthur Bryants back when it had the dirt floor, unfortunately, I was only like 8 or so at the time. I remember the dirt floor but didn't have any appreciation at the time for the BBQ.

Gates is a joke, in my opinion, as is Red Hot n Blue (BBQ for Yankees, in my opinion). The best stuff doesn't do well when its franchised.

I have had BBQ in KC, Memphis, Texas and NC, and I will stand by Haywards. It really comes down to your preference of sauce and smoking technique. In my opinion, its the sauce that makes it BBQ. Texas is more known for its smoking than its sauces, and honestly, Railhead, and Risckys in Ft Worth, Rudy's in Austin and half a dozen other places in Texas that I have been to have better meats than anything I have sampled anywhere else, but the sauces always have way too much vinegar. Texas meat and Haywards BBQ sauce is what I would request for my last meal, if I get a choice.

Finally! Something on the racing boards that I feel qualified to comment on!

Regards,
Old 08-21-2003 | 11:33 AM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

I'm a big fan of Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta. Really good pulled pork sandwhich and rib sandwhich (just a half rack with two pieces of white bread). Also live blues on the weekend. A nice spicy vinegar based sauce. Cash only. If you prefer chicken the Chicken Shack is next door, but I don't see them nearly as crowded.

For less of a shack feel you can try Williamson Brothers in Marietta, on Roswell Road east of the Big Chicken. It used to be fairly common to spot Newt Gingrich pigging out on some pork there. Good sauce, but a little too citrus for my taste.

Worth the drive for the Barbeque alone, but make sure you take a look at the big chicken while your there. Kind of a sad/funny local landmark.

Happy meals,
Jonathan
Old 08-21-2003 | 04:21 PM
ajvdh
1st Gear

There used to be a place in Boca Raton, FL (may still be there for all I know) called "Tom's Ribs". Family owned. It started off as a little cinderblock shack at the corner of Dixie Hwy and Glades Rd.. The ribs were superb. No teeth necessary.

Word of mouth worked well for 'em: People would drive up from Miami, and eventually they replaced the little shack with a "real" restaurant at the same location. As they didn't have any place to put a parking lot, the neighbors got riled, so they moved to an even bigger building on North Federal Hwy. What was great was the quality of the food didn't suffer as a result of either move. The bummer for me was I lived two blocks west of the original location, and after they moved I really missed smelling the ribs cooking.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:12 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ed Newman
Without watching it a few times, looks like the 993 was offline which means stay clear of him
I didn't even realize this until you said something and I looked at the video again. It appears that the 993TT's initial "line" was to drive straight off the track. As he reaches the edge of the track, it looks like he realized that he was in trouble and tried to back off.

The guy looks so far off the right line that I think I'm missing something.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:53 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally posted by Brian P
The guy looks so far off the right line that I think I'm missing something.
You are... This thread is about BBQ!

The "line" is the one forming for a taste of good old trail-baked-brisket.
Old 08-21-2003 | 06:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

My mistake.

It looks like the guy was about to put the buns on the hot side of the grill and then at the last second realized his mistake, lifted them up, and they spun out of his hand.

I still can't figure out why he headed for the hot side in the first place.
Old 08-22-2003 | 09:30 AM
DAR951
Pro

Much better... now THAT's analytic cooking!
Old 08-23-2003 | 02:01 AM
strangeengine
Track Day

BBQ near tracks - excellent thread.

On the way back from Laguna Seca to the SF Bay Area you tear through a town called Morgan Hill. If you back it down from 90 or so, you can exit at Tennant Ave. Take Tennant Ave West to Old Monterey Highway and hang a right. A mile or so up on the right is a roadside shack with a TON of cars in front. The place is called Trail Dust BBQ and it's only open 'til they run out of food each night. Don't even Show up Mon - Wed., as they're closed and preparing for the rest of the week.

LEGENDARY BBQ. Best I've had outside of the Midwest.

Speaking of Kansas City, if you head south into the Ozarks (aka God's Country) and swing through Eureka Springs, don't forget to stop at Bubba's BBQ, home of the Cluck 'n Squeal platter.

We spend a week near Eureka Springs waterskiing every year. The other 11.5 months, I dream of Bubba's.

- Mark
Old 08-23-2003 | 11:11 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

What about Barbecue _AT_ the track? I do a nice Kansas City-style BBQ with my own secret sauce. (of course!) I've thoguht that the pacing of DE events would be just right for some good old slow cooked smoking.

Could make a leisurely afternoon. Start the grill, go out for a session, then dress up the meat and get it on, go out to drive, then do the saucing and eat.

If the schedule was three groups of 25 minutes, it'd be about perfect. I would need to finish the last session before eating as I can slow down and not put the BBQ in the grass.

The family thinks this would be fun.

Whaddyall think?
Old 08-23-2003 | 11:50 AM
User 41221
Banned

I think thats a great idea, as long as the track operators will let you do it. After all, I would imagine that would kill their concession stand sales...

Regards,
Old 06-09-2005 | 08:57 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Talking

Originally Posted by strangeengine
BBQ near tracks - excellent thread.

On the way back from Laguna Seca to the SF Bay Area you tear through a town called Morgan Hill. If you back it down from 90 or so, you can exit at Tennant Ave. Take Tennant Ave West to Old Monterey Highway and hang a right. A mile or so up on the right is a roadside shack with a TON of cars in front. The place is called Trail Dust BBQ and it's only open 'til they run out of food each night. Don't even Show up Mon - Wed., as they're closed and preparing for the rest of the week.

LEGENDARY BBQ. Best I've had outside of the Midwest.

Speaking of Kansas City, if you head south into the Ozarks (aka God's Country) and swing through Eureka Springs, don't forget to stop at Bubba's BBQ, home of the Cluck 'n Squeal platter.

We spend a week near Eureka Springs waterskiing every year. The other 11.5 months, I dream of Bubba's.

- Mark
Hmm, thanks for the tip Mark. I'm going to have to check that out on next trip to Laguna Seca. Has anyone been to Reno I think each year they have some kind of BBQ fest. People how have gone said it's quite a yummy experience.

I think thats a great idea, as long as the track operators will let you do it. After all, I would imagine that would kill their concession stand sales...
It's perfectly legal to have your own BBQ @ track... don't see it much at DE's though. NorthCal NASA chapter has been doing BBQ on Sat. nights for a while, beer too!! It's after the track closes though. The track people are cool with it, it's a great way to socialize.

Last edited by GhettoRacer; 06-09-2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: fix spelling, add quote

Quick Reply: RFC: spin out video