Sponsored by:

Hogtied at Hog Pen

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hogtied at Hog Pen

Tired Hoosier tires, they say, stick right up until the moment they don't. They decided to stop sticking at VIR's Hog Pen. (NJ PCA, Oct. 31, 2014)

Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

Sounds like you were just coasting into the corner and pinched it (but what do I know?). This comes to mind:
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,870 Likes on 968 Posts

You got lucky. Those tire walls almost jumped out and whacked you
Old 10-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Mike
Are you here at VIR?
If so stop by and say hi
Or tell me what you're driving and I'll find you

Last edited by Dr911; 11-01-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually the tires gave you plenty of warning before they let loose and you could have begun to slightly unwind you would have been fine.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:24 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike, you got away with one there you Lucky Dog!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to unwind the wheel a tad when you go over the drop.

It's tough to get inside your brain, but you don't need to aim (i.e. look for) the 2nd inside apex. Just as I get to the little drop off, I'm aiming for the 1st trackout curbing and then trying to make a smooth arc to the 2nd outside curbing. If I do it right I miss the 2nd inside curbing by a few feet.

It appear that you started to aim for 2nd inside curbing and that cause you to hold a tight line. After the drop, you need to be thinking big smooth arc and let the car unwind.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, congratulations on making it through without any damage.

Question: It was a little difficult to tell from the video, but did you transition back to throttle to help settle/balance for entry into the right hand section?

It does appear that Jimbo951’s observation is likely well taken… It appears you were holding a tighter line between the T16a/b apex cones rather than following arcs.

General Suggestion: At least for a short time I would suggest reducing throttle as you exit the roller coaster section (T15). This will allow you to enter the left hand section (T16a) with more freedom to play with lines and feeding in power earlier through the lower T16b and T17 combination.

Additional Thoughts: The first part of the right hand section (T16b) has quite a bit of grip as it will “catch you” from camber and suspension compression. Slowing the entry into T16a some by using less throttle input following roller coaster, rather than more braking, will help with being smooth and finding a rhythm for this section. Slowing entry should also help you become more comfortable with feeling how this turn can help you, along with offering earlier power input through Hog Pen. Using the throttle through T16b is important to settle the car and use the compression that will occur this turn.

From the video it appears that you could potentially apex the left at T16a a touch later to help open up a longer arc for the transition back to the right for entry through T16b and T17.

Some of the reasons for my suggestion comes from a very similar experience with a student at Hog Pen. For whatever reason, he decided to deviate from the pace and line we had been working on to carry more speed into the left hand part (T16a) than he had ever done before. By entering faster than he had previously he froze and stopped listening as he aimed for the T16b right hand apex. Rather than simply opening up and driving off as I was telling him, we ended up spinning along the inside wall. Fortunately, as we began to spin he did begin to listen again and followed with both feet in. Ultimately, there were only scratches to the car and no serious damage. However, this event was one contributing factor in my weighing if I wished to continue instructing at all.

Last edited by Errsomeone; 11-01-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Errsomeone
Appreciate the general suggestion and additional thoughts
Thx
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's as simple as too tight of a line through there. Your momentum should carry your out to the outside curbing in hog pen as soon as you pass the bottom curb on the right. Just a tad bit of what I have learned to call "maintenance" throttle will keep the back end settled because the sharp downhill will unload the rear tires a bit which looks like where it started to come around on you.

If you are comfortable using the inside curbing on the left exiting hog pen, using that and setting a wider exit line, you will make that corner much smoother and easier to take.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love that section of VIR.

Mike, get some basic data in your car... Please!

Lol
Old 11-01-2014, 10:55 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Glad you were lucky to miss that tire wall by just a couple of feet.

As others mentioned, you seem to be off throttle (coasting) as you were turning right. The rear will get light (enabling rotation) in that downhill turn, so you need at lest maintenance throttle to keep it planted. Btw, hoosiers give plenty of warning before they lose grip -- yours did too, both by sound and slip angle. A small unwind of the wheel and gas application would have prevented the spin. There was plenty of track left to track out safely at your speed with, at worst, putting two wheels off at exit.

Another thing I noticed in the short video was what I thought was your overly "relaxed" driving style, as if inviting the car to get ahead of you. I'd pull the seat couple of inches forward and keep hands at 9 and 3 at all times. Hoosiers require 100% focus and attention or they'll bite.

Hope you receive these suggestions the right way. Only meant to help.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

I would also do a short shift up to 4th gear as you go down the hill. Not only does it help rotate the car via the brief throttle lift, but it settles the back end mightily (listen to how would out the car sounds in 3rd right before the spin)...
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

As others have said

1) need to dial back steering the moment you crest the hump. Depending on car may need to dial way back.

2) be in higher gear.

If you are at speed you won't be anywhere near the inside of the track after that hump and will end up tracking out. Amazing how many people don't even come close to using track out in hogpen.

The worst thing that should ever happen to you here is a long long slide thru damp grass toward the Dan river!!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thank all for your comments (although they weren't solicited) and I especially liked the one about my "overly 'relaxed' driving style."

I worked very hard at NOT BEING RELAXED the rest of the weekend, and it seemed to work. No more spins. LOL You guys are a hoot.

Quick Reply: Hogtied at Hog Pen