Esteban Gutierrez
0%
Jean-Eric Vergen
0%
Felipe Massa
0%
Valtteri Bottas
2.44%
Jules Bianchi's seat, no show in Austin??
0%
Max Chilton\Alexander Rossi, no show in Austin??
0%
Takuma "Big Hat" Sato
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2014 US Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:28 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

The NBC/FIA audio team should be fired after this event. A majority of the wireless pieces interviews were messed up. It didn't surprise me on Friday, but by Sunday, that's not acceptable. Bottas post race interview was unhearable. They never showed the post qualifying interviews. I think at the end we heard the Kid Rock sound check on the same channel. Reminded me of Spinal Tap at the AF base.

And the knucklehead at NBC who thinks drowning out interview pieces with music should also be gone. Most of the interviewees had non american accents (2nd person at Haas, New Ferrari CEO). Not worth the effort to try to decipher what they're saying over the hyped up noise. If I wanted to hear music, I'd switch over to MTV. Thank goodness for a DVR, I could zip past those pieces.
Old 11-02-2014 | 08:47 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Well, Hammy done proving who is the better driver at MB. Perez is a douchebag. Can't even complete a lap before crashing, and collects two cars in the process? He should be penalized AND fined. Overall can't say I made a wrong call by sitting it out this year.
Old 11-02-2014 | 08:52 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Well, Hammy done proving who is the better driver at MB. Perez is a douchebag. Can't even complete a lap before crashing, and collects two cars in the process? He should be penalized AND fined. Overall can't say I made a wrong call by sitting it out this year.
THIS

Perez appeared to drive as the local indigenous personal do in Texas. Alonso's interview after the race was refreshing and it was fun watching him give the finger to the Prancing Donkey.
Old 11-02-2014 | 08:52 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Just read elsewhere that Perez was handed 2 "penalty points" that will stay on his license for a year, and a seven-place grid penalty for Brazil. He got off easy, IMO.
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

It was a pretty good race in the back ranks, one of the best this season by far. T15, section 1 is a great a place to watch.

Supercup race on Sunday was fun despite the points win. Second Fcar race was embarrassing - I feel sorry for the guys who were there to race.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:12 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Just read elsewhere that Perez was handed 2 "penalty points" that will stay on his license for a year, and a seven-place grid penalty for Brazil. He got off easy, IMO.
I wonder if those penalty points will make his insurance go up.
Old 11-03-2014 | 05:38 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

I dont know, maybe its just me, but otuside the novelty of this super advanced super fast cars, this F1 thing is getting boring. where is the real racing, nose to tail, door to door? these cars are so delicate, so advanced, they cant be subjected to that kind of risk. i find the opening lap, any restart and well pitstops the most exciting thing. other than that, im half asleep watching qualifying lap after lap, its like a fast DE session. i get it , tire wear, sub 3 second pitstops all make the difference. but its just not exciting enough.

call me crazy, and maybe its the hick-want-to-be in me, but i watched a bunch of the texas nascar cup race yesterday. rivoting. door to door, nose to tail most o fthe way. yeah, only left turns, but those guys race. you wonder why nascar is one of the most profitable businesses in the world, and why F1 is on the decline. F1 has to find a way to make it more thrilling.

last year it was webber and vettel. this year its ham and rosberg. where is the drama or equality in that? i tivo fast forward through half the race till i see the wrecking crane or a restart or pitstop, and im a car race lover.

schnooz.
Old 11-03-2014 | 09:02 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I dont know, maybe its just me, but otuside the novelty of this super advanced super fast cars, this F1 thing is getting boring. where is the real racing, nose to tail, door to door?
GP2, NASCAR, IMSA GT3 Challenge. Basically any well run spec series.

This was the best race at COTA and unfortunately it wasn't broadcast here:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Nizer; 11-03-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:06 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Only thing that will stop Hamilton from winning the 2014 WDC is if Rosberg sneaks into the garage in the wee hours of a Sunday race day and sabotages Hamilton's car. Hamilton clearly has Rosberg's number on the track in head to head racing. I hope next year isn't as one sided as this year is. The 2014 Mercs are even more dominant than the previous four years when Red Bull ruled F1. But there was some interesting racing going on in the mid-field to keep the 2014 US Grand Prix from being a complete snooze fest.
Old 11-03-2014 | 11:27 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by adrial
Hammy is on a roll. Rosberg choked again. Would've been nice to see massa on the podium.
Rosberg didn't choke, he didn't make the proper adjustments to his car the way that Hammy did. Both cars were understeering in the first stint, and Hammy had 2 turns of front wing put in at the first pit stop. Voila, .75 sec per lap faster now. No way that Rosberg could have held him off.

I dont know, maybe its just me, but otuside the novelty of this super advanced super fast cars, this F1 thing is getting boring. where is the real racing, nose to tail, door to door? these cars are so delicate, so advanced, they cant be subjected to that kind of risk.
Maybe you weren't watching the same feed. COTA seems to be a great track for these cars, side-by-side racing for many corners, slicing under each other in the hair-pins, banging wheels. Pretty much a throw back race to 25 years ago. Also, it would be simple to get closer racing but Bernie just won't have it. Wider tires, smaller wings and more undercar aero. That way they will have more grip with less aero wake, and can run closer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-03-2014 | 11:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Rosberg hasn't been the same since team came down on Hamilton's side post-Spa. It'll be pretty ironic if Bernie's double-points last race boondoggle upsets the playbook in the end.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:11 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Maybe you weren't watching the same feed. COTA seems to be a great track for these cars, side-by-side racing for many corners, slicing under each other in the hair-pins, banging wheels. Pretty much a throw back race to 25 years ago. Also, it would be simple to get closer racing but Bernie just won't have it. Wider tires, smaller wings and more undercar aero. That way they will have more grip with less aero wake, and can run closer.
no, i was watching the same feed. to me, its boring racing. not trying to upset you and what not, but when you have 2,3 car lengths or full straights between the winner and the next in class, something has to be done to tighten up the racing, make it more competitive. folks make fun of nascar when they throw that caution unnecessarily , same as United Sports car got some flack for that yellow from Leh Khen i think it was in the 22 weathertec porsche at the rolex 24 with 24 minutes left. but, to its credit, those yellow flags gather up the field and make it competitive. now, is it fair? maybe not. you have a better car, you're .75 seconds faster/lap great, off you go. andyou win by two straight aways, you dominate, you win a world F1 championship. congrats. well earned. great stuff.

but from a spectator perspective, my feeling is that when you get past the "show" of having hundred million dollar F1 teams, and their tents and awnings and 16 guys doing a pitstop, and 300 people in the team warehouse deciphering data feeds, etc. ...when you get past the excitement of that...i think race car guys want to see racing. competing.

its amazing stuff. im just wanting to see some competition, nose to tail, door to door, not just turning fast laps.

anyway, just my two cents, but trust me, MANY said the same at the beginning of the year calling the series downright BORING, and only some of hamilton's dramas and tech failings, and rosberg's great driving made it interesting. and riccardo. and watching alonso at the start. kimi zero. vettel zero. button, who's that? button can drive, big time. figure it out so guys like button, vettel , kimi, fred, etc. are competing at a larger frequency than currently exists.
then it would be more exciting for me.

i watch FIA GT1 a lot, its wicked. and DTM sometimes is insane. V8 is incredible. F1 for me, boring.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:11 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

I enjoyed the race, actually. Decent passes by Ricciardo, and I enjoyed the Alonso-Button and Button-everyone else battles and Grosjean, Kvyat and Vergne's various passes. I watch the Sky feed, and I do wish they'd spent a little more time on Vettel in the last couple of laps, or that he'd caught Alonso earlier. I like the way those two race each other.

I was hoping for Nico to hold on to make things more interesting, but he seems to get so preoccupied with Hamilton behind him that he can't think strategically (re: the wing adjustment).
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

no, i was watching the same feed. to me, its boring racing. not trying to upset you and what not, but when you have 2,3 car lengths or full straights between the winner and the next in class, something has to be done to tighten up the racing, make it more competitive.
No, you're not upsetting me, but that is pretty much what high aero racing has become. The lower the aero, the closer the racing seems to be. Of course you cannot compare that to an oval, where even the open wheel cars run pretty much nose-to-tail.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:27 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
No, you're not upsetting me, but that is pretty much what high aero racing has become. The lower the aero, the closer the racing seems to be. Of course you cannot compare that to an oval, where even the open wheel cars run pretty much nose-to-tail.
ha. all good dude. just voicing how ive been feeling lately and trust me, i try to watch all the F1 practices, qualifying and races. i just find myself a bit bored.
i wish the USA had V8 supercars. what a neat series.

Quick Reply: 2014 US Grand Prix