Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default Understanding data analysis for noobs like me

Making Sense of Squigly Lines - The Basic Analysis of Race Car Data Acquisition

I've had an AIM Solo for a bunch of years in my 944 and would try to figure out what the limited data it collected meant. The Cayman I just bought has an AIM MXL with smartycams so I wanted to learn a little something about the data that was being collected so I could improve my driving.

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and am about 50 pages into it -
Amazon Amazon

I think it is great! I've never been a math geek so I appreciate the way everything is being explained. Its not dumbed down at all - the author just does a good job of slowly working toward a full understanding of data analysis.

I wanted to go to the class sponsored by NER but it doesn't fit my schedule. This book is the next best thing for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the Tip....i got a VERY general understanding from VR but would love to be albe to actually look at more data, i know it opened my eyes at several corners at Watkins.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are learning more about your data systems! We recently produced a couple of short AiM Sports LearnFast training videos on the subject of: I Have Downloaded My Data, Now What? I suggest everybody take a look at these:

Part 1:
Part 2:

There are many other LearnFast videos and recorded webinars on this page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata...view=0&sort=dd

Let me know if there are any videos you think we should do!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Chris Brown was head of MoTeC West for some time, and is still with the company. As a dealer, it was a pleasure to take classes from him!

Many of the examples are MoTeC, but most all systems measure and display the same basic parameters, so most of the examples are directly applicable to your AiM system.

The two books I also recommend hifelt, especially for building a strong foundation, even without a math or engineering background, are Buddy Fey's 1992 book, "Data Power," which has the best explanations I have ever seen to show how simple measures like Lat G and Long G (as well as GSum, all accessible from your AiM data) can be used to discern opportunities for driver improvement AND car dynamic handling characteristics! A lot of folks, including Jorg Segers, author of the most advanced analysis tome to date, cite Fey's seminal work as providing them with benchmarks and background based in fact, not suppositions. The second book that is particularly good for practical application of AiM data and its interpretation, is Bob Knox's excellent "Practical Race Car Data Analysis."

Between Brown and Knox, you can get 90% of what you could ever want, and then for the foundation, I would add Fey and for deep, DEEP analysis, Segers second edition from SAE is the one!

The national training coordinator for AiM Sports, Roger Caddell, in response to a large number of inquiries asking "let's start with more basic methodology and recommended workflow," has JUST posted two great videos; "I've just downloaded my AiM data, now WHAT do I do?" in TWO parts. It's on AiM Sports FB page and Vimeo page, and is worth a look.

I have plans for two webinars starting mid-December and running through the end of January (posted on MotorsportsReg.com), that will explore individual parameters and "best practices" in relation to constructing usable strategies, within just a few minutes, to target specific goals for improvement, the very next session.

John Block at Auto-Ware does a series that is very good, both intro and advanced. Reasonable, too.

Of course, Matt Romanowski's Trailbrake.net is a superb resource. Check it out!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Great minds think (and post) alike! Right, Roger?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Sometimes I waste hours on RL but times like this make up for it. Awesome information from all! And thanks for sharing those videos. I did search youtube but the videos I found were low quality. From the few minutes I watches of the first video it seems like just what I need.

Peter - I am hoping to get down to VIR in 2015 so perhaps I will look you up and see if you are available.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
From the few minutes I watches of the first video it seems like just what I need.

Peter - I am hoping to get down to VIR in 2015 so perhaps I will look you up and see if you are available.
Good and that would be great! Looking forward to it!
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Chris's book is excellent. I think it's the best book to get started with in data. It very clearly walks you through how to start looking at the data, what it means, and how to analyze. I think the book is so good that I stock them and urge everyone who buys a data system to buy it because this book usually makes the difference between someone just having a lap timer and having a data system that they actually use.

I agree with Peter that Bob's book Practical Race Car Data Analysis is a great follow up and it gives you all the math channels written out in AiM (among others) syntax so you can start using them right away.

What I like about Buddy Fay's Data Power is that it is full of great rule of thumb facts. I probably have 25 pieces of paper sticking out of it with these little facts. Building on Data Power, Jorge Segers wrote the most in depth book on data analysis available. It can either really empower you to go further or give you a headache followed by an "Ah-Ha!" moment.

If someone really wants to geek out on some data, I still have spots open in the seminar that Jorge is putting on November 20-21 in Manchester, NH. The group of folks who are coming is pretty amazing including Peter Krause (Pro Coach), a few top shelf Porsche shop owners, top series (Tudor, Road to Indy, etc) engineers, and some manufacturering engineers from companies everyone knows. A special display will be put out by Texense sensor to show the latest technology in sensors and their applications. It will be an amazing session that I can't wait for!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 347 Posts

My wife Nadine is starting to learn how to understand data - she wants to be able to help me (and her) get better, and maybe offer it as a benefit to our local race shop when he does track support. Long way from that at the moment, but she is facinated by it (her day job is IT Project Managment with emphasis on data analysis and business intelligence)

Peter...will you be at VIR with Carolinas Region in a couple weeks? If so, would love to meet you and have you talk to her.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 347 Posts

BTW...and I brought this up before...how can we go about having a thread 'pinned' or whatever at the top of this forum just about data - similar to "ASK THE COACH" or the "iRacing...." thread (or the Spec Boxster one that hasn't been used in a year). Would really help to be able to consolidate all the data discussions and very useful information that Roger, Peter, Jerry, Dave, Matt, etc, etc, etc....provide into one thread.

Admins??? Little help???
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

This is an excellent book. Evan, when you're ready, let's discuss a couple of specific, detailed, key ways you can analyze and use your data to self-coach...
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by naroescape
Peter...will you be at VIR with Carolinas Region in a couple weeks? If so, would love to meet you and have you talk to her.
Bob, PM me and let's plan something. I'm in Daytona for the Classic 24 Hour, but let's see what we can do before then.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
BTW...and I brought this up before...how can we go about having a thread 'pinned' or whatever at the top of this forum just about data - similar to "ASK THE COACH" or the "iRacing...." thread (or the Spec Boxster one that hasn't been used in a year). Would really help to be able to consolidate all the data discussions and very useful information that Roger, Peter, Jerry, Dave, Matt, etc, etc, etc....provide into one thread.

Admins??? Little help???
Roger Cadell asked me about how to set up a Rennlist track data subsection; Bob Rouleau (one of our overseers) suggested that Roger contact him.
So I think the idea is out there.
ROGER - if you are still interested in setting up a specific subsection on data under the Racing and Drivers Education section, I think there is interest.
Since I don't have an official position here, I'll step aside and let Roger contact Bob. (Roger, if you need to reach out to Bob, I have his email address or you can PM him)
Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Roger Cadell asked me about how to set up a Rennlist track data subsection; Bob Rouleau (one of our overseers) suggested that Roger contact him.
So I think the idea is out there.
ROGER - if you are still interested in setting up a specific subsection on data under the Racing and Drivers Education section, I think there is interest.
Since I don't have an official position here, I'll step aside and let Roger contact Bob. (Roger, if you need to reach out to Bob, I have his email address or you can PM him)
Yes please Rick. I tried some time ago but was not able to make contact and would love to try again. Please send me some contact info and I will also try a PM here.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

"I've just downloaded my AiM data, now WHAT do I do?" in TWO parts. It's on AiM Sports FB page and Vimeo page, and is worth a look." Very much so!!!!! I know what I'll be doing in my spare time!

"ROGER - if you are still interested in setting up a specific subsection on data under the Racing and Drivers Education section, I think there is interest." Would a lot of us like to see this!!!

Basically, the AiM EVO4/G Dash with Smarty Cam is a major investment, at least the cost of two (2) sets of Hoosiers in 18". Worth the investment, because once I/you/we learn how to analyze our data, I/you/we will be knowledgable drivers that actually know and understand why we are going slow, mediocre or fast....slow and mediocre can focus toward fast, and fast will confirm what they already know.

I have the "Making sense....", book, need to dig into it, along with the AiM You Tube Lessons.

Here is my plan, bring up the AiM Race Studio on my PC, and along side of it on a second computer, have the You Tube videos going. Now this will be intense.

Quick Reply: Understanding data analysis for noobs like me