Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts
Default The day the F1 pyramid scheme crashed

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/t...?src=soc_fcbks

Formula 1, a pyramid scheme? Okay, maybe that's a little too harsh. But in the last few years, it seems that the main concern of F1 has been to create ever-higher revenue for its main investors, rather than advance the sport. To prop up what has become a gargantuan and bloated system, new venues have been added in unlikely places, as have teams of questionable pedigree.

The 2014 Russian Grand Prix, I'd argue, exemplified everything that's currently wrong with F1: It was a propaganda exercise for a dubious government set on a dull, pointless track in a place (i.e. Sochi) that has as little to do with auto racing as it did with the Olympics (coincidentally, another grand event that fewer people seem to care about these days).

There we watched one team, Caterham, stop a car mid-race and another team, Marussia, only run one car. In fact, Marussia really couldn't afford to run any cars, but in front of a home crowd, it had to do something.

Caterham might have lied about why it pulled Kobayashi's healthy car into the pits. And in an attempt to mask its financial troubles, Marussia justified its one-car run by claiming it was out of "respect" for Jules Bianchi, who was gravely injured in the previous race at Suzuka. In reality, Marussia couldn't even scrape enough money together to allow its American reserve driver to race at this weekend's US Grand Prix. Now Caterham and Marussia have announced that they will not compete in the remaining races for this year.

As lousy as this seems, teams are doing what they can to survive in a system that treats the underdogs as the filler they undoubtedly are. F1 has always had backmarkers, but those small outfits once stood a chance: McLaren, Williams, Brabham—they all broke through because of their ingenuity and technical innovation. That is unlikely to happen any more because the rules are becoming more restrictive.

In my view, F1 is now designed to please the big auto manufacturers, who are essential to the sport's survival. Mercedes-AMG, for example, spent a rumored $500 million in its quest for domination. Next thing you know, Bernie Ecclestone intervenes, and Lewis Hamilton moves from McLaren to Mercedes and receives "secret tests." Now, the Silver Arrows are all but unbeatable. I imagine the same will happen again soon with Ferrari. Fans want to see Hamilton, Alonso, and Vettel fight it out, not a battle between two Mercedes drivers with cars that anyone on the grid could drive to a podium finish.

As it stands, F1 has to act this way. The sport needs these major manufacturers to spend so that investors' revenue expectations can be met. At the same time, it squeezes race promoters in ways that make it a huge financial burden for fans to actually attend.

That said, the cars are amazing technical achievements—almost as fast as a V8 but using 30 percent less fuel—but I guarantee you that true fans couldn't care less about that. I keep going back to that interview Alonso gave ahead of the Canadian GP, in which he said the new cars are heavier and slower and and that you simply cannot push for more than two laps before you have to start saving fuel or tires or battery life. Granted, we all know Alonso, like any racing driver, wouldn't complain nearly as much if the Ferrari F14T was a rocket, but still, is it right for F1 be so focused on conservation?

Okay, okay, I know racing has always been about managing resources, but in the past, that choice was seemingly in the driver's hands and a heroic push was always possible. That's not the case now.

I have followed F1 longer than I care to admit at this point. I am a huge fan. Yet, I'm losing interest. And if F1 is losing the likes of me, it's in much bigger trouble than it thinks.

My rant's over. Now it's your turn.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing but Politico, Pure Politico and FOS to boot .....
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I don't know about a pyramid scheme, but I have to agree with the article. Bernie has squeezed every cent from race track/promoters etc playing on their ego and/or tourism board/national pride. In the end, the only one that wins is Bernie because as many people as there are in China and India, no one seems to care about F1 there.

And how is a privateer supposed to compete with huge global automakers? It's virtually impossible given the financial and technical resources.

Now with the announcement of Ferrari being spun off, how are the new majority owners going to feel about spending half a billion dollars a year on an F1 program? If Ferrari leaves F1, F1 is done. General interest in seeing 2 Mercedes cars fight it out no matter if they start on the front row or on pit lane is boring as hell. Didn't think that F1 would get to the start and park made famous by NASCAR, but there you have it, it's here.

If F1 is to survive, there has to be several things changed:

1. No one wants to watch cars that are slower than previous cars and nearly as slow as GP2 cars circulate at a rate relative to their fuel economy.

2. Give them unlimited tires and selection of compounds.

3. Unlock the engine freeze.

4. No one cares about burn rate of fuel. Did I mention this already? sorry, it's that bad especially when you can't use the full use of revs.

5. Love them or hate them, F1 is more interesting when Ferrari is relavant.

6. Stop adding street circuits to the calendar.

7. The FIA has too much power.... threaten to split off them and seek a compromise where F1 actually has some say on what they do rather than a PC administration in Paris.

I could go on, but you get the jist
Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Pete,

Guess what ? no one cares about F1 here too , its not just india and china, only a small portion of the pop watches or follow along ..
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Pete with the developments regarding Ferrari, over really the last 2 months, it definitely makes for some very interesting potential outcomes, none of them likely being stellar for the sport.

I guess we know the source of the (FALSE) Audi rumours. F1 itself.

Regarding a non spec tyre, it won't happen. There's too much marketing money in being the official tyre provider of F1.

Bernie has lost he way a bit, the initial value of F1 upon his takeover was the TV rights, he's become too concerns with pompom circumstance and track facilities regarding concerns that have nothing to do with driver safety and bring nothing to the table for the fan who isn't trackside (and only drives up cost for those who are trackside as the facility cost gets passed along).
Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with both of you on all counts. My point on China and India were relative to their high percentage of global population concentrated in just 2 countries. That was supposed to be where future viewership was supposed to come from but it hasn't materialized.

Yes, most here don't care either and even though we are the biggest market for these auto makers, it's only a matter of time before NA is surpassed by China and India. The TV rights would have been huge if F1 would have caught on in those markets
Old 10-29-2014, 03:50 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Pete,

Guess what ? no one cares about F1 here too , its not just india and china, only a small portion of the pop watches or follow along ..
This is the racing forum, for racers, I don't know any of you guys who drives an F1 car, F1 threads should be in another forum IMHO.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Mike, really ..... does F3 count ...
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

F1 is all about racing. This forum is about racing. Ergo F1 is discussed here because it is right place.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
This is the racing forum, for racers, I don't know any of you guys who drives an F1 car, F1 threads should be in another forum IMHO.
Drivers? Are you kidding me? We're waiting on our hedge fund manager to get back on us on IPO info so we can become part owners!
With my share of Williams stock from last year and Ferrari now, I've got two pieces of the puzzle to drive Bernie and the FIA out of F1 for good!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I have two remote control F1 cars and the F1 game for my Xbox. I also drove my SUV on the F1 track in Montreal a year ago. Does that qualify?

In regards to the article, F1 is on the same path as some of the other major sports. Baseball and Hockey had all these strikes and lockouts and it caused attendance to go way down. F1 is in danger of doing the same thing. All true fans want the same thing but they are deaf to it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Found one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...an-f1-car.html
Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
BING!
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

OK one guy can post about F1 here, you others get out of here
Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
F1 is all about Bernie. This forum is about racing. Ergo Umm.....
FIFY

Quick Reply: The day the F1 pyramid scheme crashed