Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Opinions: Are these AD08Rs done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Seeking Opinions: Are these AD08Rs done?

Sorry in advance if I've missed this someplace. I thought I saw a similar post either here or in P-9, but can't find it, or anything that will directly answer my question.

To cut to the chase, when are street tires like the AD08Rs done? I know PCA wants 3/32 inch if tread "except high performance tires", and these have maybe 1/32" but are they in the latter category? They have 10 days, and about 45 cycles on them, plus a couple thousand miles of street. For a few events I was over-driving them and scrubbing in corners more than I should have. I also ran them with too much pressure for a few events, before I found my ideal. I got a tiny bit of chunking on my last day, which included some skidpad and autox (see third photo).

They feel a bit more sensitive to pressure and temperature than they used to, but that said, I did my fastest LFP lap on them in the last session. So there you go.

There is some minor chunking. Not a lot, this is probably the worst.

So what do you think? Do I try to squeeze and event or two out of them in the spring or do I get a new set of tires in the off season?

Speaking of new tires, for 18" rims on a 987.2, do I have *any* choices for a street-legal race tire (assuming nitto is really dropping the 245/40-18 size for good)?

thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

I would run them.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts

Concours.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts

Yup, still good.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Lot's of life left for track use BUT be careful when it starts to rain, particularly driving back home ...
Old 10-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks! One less winter project
Old 10-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

No doubt they're fine.

I had to quit this past weekend @ CMP only because I saw the belts showing on 2 tires with some minor chunking (RE-11s)....
Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Except for rain / wet, on track they will be fine. I run my rears to just shadow of a tread (in the dry) pattern is left in the center. When you get down to that, the base rubber will change the feel, time for new ones. Lots in DEs run slicks to they almost cord.

If using on track and street, then change out sooner. Will be useless on wet/rain long before the shadow limit is hit, but still useable in the dry. Would not run the fronts that far, but 2 rears to 1 set of fronts would be a good cycle rule of thumb (911).
Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm considering switching from Super Sports to AD08 the next time around, primarily for improved handling on the track. Just curious what you found for a sweet spot on pressures?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I'm considering switching from Super Sports to AD08 the next time around, primarily for improved handling on the track. Just curious what you found for a sweet spot on pressures?
This Yokohama blog suggests 32-34 psi for the AD08/AD08R: http://www.yokohama.com.au/News-and-...ace-tyres.aspx. The sidewalls on this tire are stiffer than most other "street" tires, so they do well with less pressure. I recently went from PSS to AD08R's on the track and I think you will like the improvement over the PSS.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default T.M.I. ???

Ten track days, 45 Heat Cycles, you gave gotten your monies worth. But they seem to have plenty of tread for a few more outings. The question is always, how do they perform? I have run Hoosiers with 10 heat cycles...the tread looks good, but they won't hook up...they are dead.

On a set of NT-01, I get about 20 heat cycles rear, 30+ on the front, with a conservative alignment. Now I have a track alignment, lots of negative camber front and rear. Note the NT-01 tires are very predictable right down to the cord.

The UTQR (Hardness) of these AD-08 tires is 180? and the tread depth is 10/32. In contrast the UTQR of the NT-01 is 100, with a tread depth of 6/32, as delivered.

To keep the heat build up down, I have had my last set shaved to 4/32, and heat cycled as well. They seem to be holding up very well. In my experience, a 4/32 heat cycled tire will last just as long as a non-shave 6/32 tire. The question becomes, is the cost of shaving them worth the expense? It's only about $100 to have 4 shaved, BUT it's a 8 hour round trip, ouch!

Have no clue how a shaved AD-08 would perform. Note you can only shave a tire when it is new, with no rocks etc. embedded in it's tread.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I'll second what Jake said. I found the same article that he posted when I was trying to find the right pressure. On searching forums, the most popular opinion is actually more like 41-42 lbs. I was messing around up there and indeed, especially on hot days, that felt better than the 38-39 I was using with the MPSS. But when track temps fell in the fall, 41-42 started failing me, and in searching around I found that article, and posts from the AX community saying they run down into the high 20s.

I worked down to 36, then 33-34 and liked the results. I like the AD08R tires better for track than the MPSS for the sticker rubber and more aggressive tread, but really for the stiffer sidewall. The MPSS forces you to dance with slight over inflation to keep the sidewalk where you want it, which might become a non-issue if you have the ability to dial in tons of negative camber.

The MPSS is the better street tire for sure, probably one of the all-time best street tires, for noise, comfort, wet handling, and still able to run respectfully on the track.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
This Yokohama blog suggests 32-34 psi for the AD08/AD08R: http://www.yokohama.com.au/News-and-...ace-tyres.aspx. The sidewalls on this tire are stiffer than most other "street" tires, so they do well with less pressure. I recently went from PSS to AD08R's on the track and I think you will like the improvement over the PSS.
Thanks for the link to the Yokohama blog. I tried a new set of Yoko AD08's at Mid-Ohio this year but only got one track day with them. Based on the blog info I guess I was running them too hot. That info makes sense and I'm going to give those lower settings a try next season (no more track days in this part of the country).

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Seeking Opinions: Are these AD08Rs done?