Sponsored by:

Great Article on Going Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:52 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
- Enter the corner fast enough that it feels like I'm not going to make the corner - but do make the corner!
This is one of the few things when driving my car on track that actually still gives me a rush. "Hell yeah, I can do it at this speed" and do it again. A nice corner we have around here for that kind of excitement is Eau Rouge/Raidillon. The latest and greatest GT3 cars (Blancpain series stuff) go flatout there, but you won't be doing that in your 996 Cup car or GT3 street car
Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Excellent summation.

Most people focus on the former to the exclusion of the latter.

The former is fleeting, momentary and filled with risk.

The latter MUST be mastered to progress from good to great...

I spent an entire day @ Spring Mountain doing a private class with their Corvettes training something like that. Basically what we were working on was rolling in the corner with a lot of corner speed, hitting the accelerator a lot earlier than I am used to as to induce just enough oversteer so I could unwind the steering wheel a lot faster and straighten the car at the apex.

Was that thin line between:
- not enough throttle so the car just carries on its previous trajectory and you end up wide at corner exit
- too much throttle and you Tokyo Drift to the exit
- enough throttle but too slowly unwinding the wheel. Again not so nice for tire use and lap times
- enough throttle so the rear moves a little, rotating the car just right along with you unwinding the wheel and flooring it, getting you earlier on the gas and using less steering input.

Honestly, sometimes I nailed it, sometimes I didn't but it will take a lot more practice to really get the feel of it (and I found it easier to feel in their street car on Michelin Supersports than in my race car on slicks) and get it right all the time. Spun out big time once too (but that's why you go there and rent a car and not do this in your own ).

I can highly recommend their private courses. For what you get they are cheap as chips:

$2500 for a 1 day private lesson meaning: 1 brand new Corvette C7 with Michelin Supersport tyres, 1 instructor, and 1 of their 3 tracks just for you. 6 runs of 20-25 minutes and they will work on whatever you want or they think is necessary after some laps to evaluate your driving skills. Compared to running your own car at the track this is a bargain, and you get some great tuition.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default finding the float

First off thank you to the educators . I recently went to Sonoma (Infineon/sears) for the first time good bad or indifferent it was raining the entire first day which was a bit scary learning new track in the wet, but it let you find the float at slow speed. The trickier part to me was the second day when it was drizzling on and off so as track started to dry then drizzle again made for some serve changes in grip. turn 1 decreasing radius up steep hill into cresting turn 2 made for some pucker moments for me at least. My question is in a corner like that with those conditions the act of letting the car take a set then carry it through the turn was proving difficult. In slower corners it was easier to throttle steer but in this 4th gear corner that is entered flat then breathed through i lost it a couple times into the Tokyo drift with not much pedal left to work with. This proved scary any suggestions in those conditions would you brake before and maybe down shiift to be able to work the skinny pedal?

sorry for paragraph

Quick Reply: Great Article on Going Fast!