Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(996) GT3's damaged on track - root causes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

And the 997s were blessed with an even more useless LSD because of the addition of TC.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I'm completely puzzled by this 6GT3 thread. Having only driven a 6gt3 occasional, but drive and race a 6cup. I don't get it. It's the easiest car I have driven. Try pushing hard in an early Carrera and look out.
Has to be lack of talent regardless of suspension issues.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I can remember this line of posting immediately after the E36 M3 came out... We lost a LOT of those in the first few years.
Originally Posted by Errsomeone
Peter,

Yup, I remember "the e36 M3 problem" well as it use to come up in nearly every instructors meeting for years. And being honest, it happened to me... not on track, not "playing", and actually not fast, but unfortunately the car was a total loss.

While I certainly agree with others about running out skill at high rates of speed as others have noted, BMW used rubber (presume still do?) in the rear suspension, in particular massive rubber rear subframe mounts with potential to create a rubber band effect in E36s that could release very quickly after an initial counter steer. In one of my E36s you could even feel it taking a different set during fast sweepers with the weight transfer. My race car got solid mounts with great feel and all was incredibly predictable.
Wut?? I've never heard of this and been tracking an E36 M3 since '09. Can one of you PM a link or description of this? I've got all stock stuff back there except the rear trailing arm bushing shims.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Try pushing hard in an early Carrera and look out.
Amen brother!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to agree that damage to the GT3, it is almost always the driver that is the weak link. Horsepower and torque as in the Vipers and Z06 with their drivers is a weaker link in my opinion. I have seen way more Vipers and Z06's go off track than GT3's.

You have to have a lot of seat time to drive a 996 GT3 fast. It is only with seat time, that you figure out what all the movement behind is. The only nannies present in the 996 GT3 is ABS. You have to keep in the gas (which is difficult to do)and not have large steering corrections. You have to manage the downshifts to avoid the mechanical overrevs.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I moved up to a 6gt3 couple of years ago after seven years of tracking a Boxster S and four years of racing (mostly Skippy MX-5) without ever driving a 911 on the track before. Got mine already well set up by the PO (close friend) with Motons, monoballs, arms, no-rubber suspension, welded pipes. It took me only a couple of laps at Limerock to start throwing it into turns and playing with slip angles on (then) old and slippery Nitto NT-01s.

As others have said, the car is honest, it communicates grip levels very well, but it is not suited for the timid. It's much safer (and a blast!) for drivers that are comfortable straddling the grip limit most of the time than for drivers that rarely go over 8-9/10ths. The latter ones will be the ones getting spooked when a set of circumstances takes them closer to 10/10ths and beyond in an instance.

For current owners that see themselves in the latter group, I suggest a car control clinic at one of the racing schools, few autocross sessions on slippery (street) tires, a skid pad session in the wet, or any other way to safely approach and get comfortable with 10/10ths grip in the car. It's where it's safest and it truly shines. The best track car bang for the buck in the market today, hands down.

EDIT: Hope I didn't just jinx myself. Counter-jinx: Car sucks and spins all the time.

Last edited by hf1; 10-29-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^This!
REALLY. I can teach you how to drive the line fast. But i can not teach you seat of the pants feel and car control that you need when the car steps out at 100mph. Patience, Experience and seat time and you eventually get there.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

^^^^^^^^
well written hf1
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,915 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I moved up to a 6gt3 couple of years ago after seven years of tracking a Boxster S and four years of racing (mostly Skippy MX-5) without ever driving a 911 on the track before. Got mine already well set up by the PO (close friend) with Motons, monoballs, arms, no-rubber suspension, welded pipes. It took me only a couple of laps at Limerock to start throwing it into turns and playing with slip angles on (then) old and slippery Nitto NT-01s.

As others have said, the car is honest, it communicates grip levels very well, but it is not suited for the timid. It's much safer (and a blast!) for drivers that are comfortable straddling the grip limit most of the time than for drivers that rarely go over 8-9/10ths. The latter ones will be the ones getting spooked when a set of circumstances takes them closer to 10/10ths and beyond in an instance.

For current owners that see themselves in the latter group, I suggest a car control clinic at one of the racing schools, few autocross sessions on slippery (street) tires, a skid pad session in the wet, or any other way to safely approach and get comfortable with 10/10ths grip in the car. It's where it's safest and it truly shines. The best track car bang for the buck in the market today, hands down.

EDIT: Hope I didn't just jinx myself. Counter-jinx: Car sucks and spins all the time.
Great post.

It's the nominally 7-8/10ths folks that approach (their) 10/10ths TOO quickly that cause the skewed damage statistics, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

^^^^^^^This!
REALLY. I can teach you how to drive the line fast. But i can not teach you seat of the pants feel and car control that you need when the car steps out at 100mph. Patience, Experience and seat time and you eventually get there.
Where? At West Bend?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Nah West bend is 87 at my best, Downhill @ 102+ , WG #10 @ 97, #3 @ 126. All of them will eat your car.

LOL
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That all sounds good to me!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

I'm never done learning.
Funny thing earlier this year Ron Savenor and I were discussing the uphill line with Simon kirby, and you would think that we would have it down since each of us has 250+ days there.
I'm in Love with this crazy sport.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I'm never done learning.
The fun stops when the learning stops.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually seen more Caymans wrecked in the five years I've been doing this. The again, eyes do tend to roll when a GT3 meets the wall. It's as if the clock was always running on the inevitable...

Quick Reply: (996) GT3's damaged on track - root causes?