Sponsored by:

997 s on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Anteloper
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 s on track

I will be driving my completely stock (except for safety gear) 997 s at VIR in a few weeks. The suspension is completely stock as delivered from the factory.

I have read that taking a car such as this with a stock alignment to the track could destroy my tires in short order. I have also read that 997's have limited adjustability when it comes to camber without adding some equipment (gt3 lower cntrl arms, camber plates, etc)

Should i attempt to get it aligned as best as possible before driving down- or take the plunge with a stock setup and hope for the best.

I should add that I do plan on making changes over the winter but there isnt time before this event.

TIA
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

No need to hope for the best - Simply keep an eye on your tires pressures. I assume that you will be running street tires so just make sure that your hot pressures are not higher than what you are currently running cold. Adjust from that baseline and you will be fine.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
No need to hope for the best - Simply keep an eye on your tires pressures. I assume that you will be running street tires so just make sure that your hot pressures are not higher than what you are currently running cold. Adjust from that baseline and you will be fine.
^^This^^

Enjoy VIR! You'll love it. It's a great time of year to go.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Flush the brake fluid and make sure you have a good pressure gauge. Go have a good time. I did the same last week at VIR in my 997.2 C2S and was great fun to lap in a street car again.

As Frank noted, monitor your tire pressures. Check each time you get off track and adjust accordingly (probably down). From cold, you will likely end up below the threshold to display a warning by TPMS, so do not be surprised by this. Before driving home I had to add air, but during track driving the heat was enough to increase the pressures and not incur a warning.

Yes, there is plenty that can be done, but the car has a very high capability level, even in stock form. Depending on how much time you have previously on track there could be a couple things to consider, but really not necessary. The only thing I did was switch to track pads, again, preference and depends on your prior experience.

Have fun!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

I track my stock 997S as well. Depending on your skill level its a non issue. I'm at the point now after two years where I'm starting to think about LCA and sway bars but there's still plenty left in the car that I haven't tapped. As far as tire go, unless you're purposefully trying to kick it out around very corner you'll be fine. I run Pilot Super Sports and have about 15k and ten track events on the fronts and 5k and five events on the rears. I'd still be on the matching set of rears if it wasn't for a nail in the sidewall.

These cars are pretty amazing right out of the box and you can have plenty of fun. Upgrading becomes a slippery slope. That's why I've held off. I upgraded Brake pads to Pagid, now I out brake the tires, If I get new tires, I'll out handle the suspension, If I upgrade the suspension I could run into oil pressure issues under increased speed in the corners.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Anteloper
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I appreciate all the feedback. Looking forward to VIR!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 PM
morrial
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going down with NNJR
Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Track it box stock and have fun.

Quick Reply: 997 s on track