Sponsored by:

Race Navigator data logger

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014 | 07:55 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Default Race Navigator data logger

http://www.race-navigator.com/en/rn-one/

Certainly not cheap, but it looks like one hell of a package.

Stick it on the windshield (alla AiM Solo or RaceLogic stuff), it records GPS data + (optional) OBD data + movie in HD and allows wireless data access and analysis through your iPad.

Discovered this by accident today, but it looks pretty impressive and intuitive to use (and in a field where IMO the AiM stuff is lacking, putting 2 vids next to eachother + overlay data in graph at the same time).

What do the experts think about this?
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Interesting.

No more functionality than a VBOX HD, except for the addition of an iOS app.

$3100 for the base setup is over $500 higher than the VBOX HD. Plus the app is in German?

The software can only display raw sensor values. One overlay. No split time table, no math or derived channels, no other way to manipulate the display of the data.

Still, slick and quick. Looks like a good novelty. I'd need to put it to good use for about three months to determine if it works like it's advertised...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-20-2014 | 11:49 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

With all the data out there on MoTeC, Smarty and other formats which can be used for comparison, I would stick to the tried and true systems out there.

I use both MoTeC and Smarty on my race cars and there are many features and capabilities which I have not even had the time to put to use.

Don't get me wrong, looks pretty slick but if the data is not comparable to what is already out there, IMHO its usability is limited. Then again, it looks like it could make some pretty cool videos to share!

If the price was a 3rd of what its listed at, I would consider it a good option to the SmartyCam and similar data and video combo systems. Is this similar to the factory system included on the new Corvettes?
Old 10-21-2014 | 09:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The new Corvette uses another stalwart in the pro series logging world, Cosworth Electronics, better known as Pi Engineering.
Old 10-21-2014 | 06:42 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Of course this is not a replacement to a full-fledged data-logger. But I think for beginners to intermediate drivers showing side by side videos + the speed channel can already reveal a lot of info. Math channels are for more advanced users
Old 10-21-2014 | 07:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

For strip charts, mapping and side-by-side video (up to six laps possible), I think the Racelogic VBOX HD ($500 less) or VBOX Lite ($1450 less) is better.

I'd be interested to know if the side by side video positioning is done by GPS position, lap length or other... It makes a hell of a difference, you know.

The only benefit if the Race Navigator, IMO, is iOS integration...
Old 10-22-2014 | 12:42 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Having spent...

...too many dollars "trying out" a few data loggers, and sold them for a substantial loss, I am convinced that a key component of any data logger is vendor support and good operators manuals. We really can't know this about the mfg. of this product.

And as ProCoach (Peter Krause) writes, "this new unit needs to be in the hands of out experts for analysis and review." He adds, "The software can only display raw sensor values. One overlay. No split time table, no math or derived channels, no other way to manipulate the display of the data."

The price of the unit is not that shocking to me knowing that a good Data Logger with an integrated camera, will easily run $3,000...but for this money, one would want, and have to have, "...Split time table, math and derived channels, and the option to manipulate the display of the data."

As I am in my learning phase with AiM EVO4 and Smarty Cam, I have a lot to learn, but so far I know, having looked at some of my own track data, intersession splits (Split Time Tables) are an invaluable learning tool, especially if you have a reference base line lap set down by a Pro driver. You must have this data if you are interested in improving, and becoming a consistently fast and smooth driver.

From what I can see, assuming you want a color display, a TraqMate would be a better option, far cheaper too.

Quick Reply: Race Navigator data logger