Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasses versus visor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014 | 05:59 PM
winders
Race Car

danielyonker,

One of the first things that happens to your body in a "fight or flight" situation is your eyes dilate to let more light in. This is done so you can see more and react to what is going on faster. So, from a physiological point of view, your assertions are incorrect. See this link:

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/...%202008/11.htm

Now, look at this photo:

I can't see a driver wearing a clear visor. They all are wearing visors that are akin to sunglasses.

Squinting can cause fatigue and frontal headaches.

When I raced motorcycles, I always wore a clear visor because I thought it allowed me to see fluid (oil or coolant) on the track more clearly. I did this even though I squinted almost all the time. I was getting some instruction from Jason Pridmore (a pro racer that raced with Mat Mladin on the Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Team in AMA) and he said I was crazy to not wear a smoked visor and pointed that almost all of the AMA racers used some type of light muting visor. He said I would have less eye fatigue and would come off the track feeling more relaxed. He also said it would not impair my ability to see fluid on the track. He was right on all counts. I won't go on the track now with a clear visor.

Your waking up at night example is poor on multiple levels and does not apply. First, you are asleep so your body has to come up to speed, so to speak. Second, it pitch black so just what do you think you are going to see?
Old 10-21-2014 | 06:23 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

re sunglasses, a pro recently told me that they should NOT be polarized, since that reduces the likelihood of seeing liquid (water/oil) which might be on the track.

note: my lovely oakleys are polarized. ooops.
Old 10-21-2014 | 10:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I was pricing out Stilo helmets tonight and then looked back at this thread. I was going to go with a red iridium visor. The Oakleys that I currently wear a tinted slightly red and I am used to them. I also think they make things show up clearer.

Not sure I agree with the whole "no tinting" thing as you need to see. Plenty of times I have been on the track where it would have been dangerous without some sunglasses or tinting of a visor.
Old 10-21-2014 | 10:48 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by fhp911
re sunglasses, a pro recently told me that they should NOT be polarized, since that reduces the likelihood of seeing liquid (water/oil) which might be on the track.

note: my lovely oakleys are polarized. ooops.
Fred,

I don't wear sun glasses on the track. I use a smoke visor instead. But, on the street, I find that I see pavement "issues" like water and oil better with my polarized Maui Jim sunglasses than I do with my non-polarized Nike sunglasses.

Scott
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:16 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by winders
Fred,

I don't wear sun glasses on the track. I use a smoke visor instead. But, on the street, I find that I see pavement "issues" like water and oil better with my polarized Maui Jim sunglasses than I do with my non-polarized Nike sunglasses.

Scott
I admit that I used to use polarized glasses on track. In my 944s, the dash reflection was a real issue and the polarized lenses helped a lot.

I have lots of different visors for my Stand21 and a blower, so I really have no excuse left. Has anyone had issues with dry eyes using a top blower?
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:52 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Ok......several thing here.

First: if you wear sunglasses, your pupils are more dilated then they would be otherwise, and you may be less apt to react to quick motions. Extreme example, you wake up at night in pitch black and you can't see ****....takes a while to focus and react. I learned this at skip barber in 1991. For this reason I have never worn sunglasses, and I am a blue eyed, fair skinned Norwegian with sensitive eyes. Bottom line, don't wear sunglasses. How many professional drivers do you see with sunglasses on? None. Ever wonder why?

Second: you should always drive with visor down. I have been upside down and can tell you debris will make its way into your helmet.

I have never raced with one of these blower devices. As far as I am concerned they are are band aids, and I have raced in 103 degrees at VIR with ice packs taped to my chest (after this i bought my first cool suit). If your visor is fogging up in non-rain conditions, then you are introducing to much humidity into the helmet, which means you are breathing too hard. Learn to relax, breath slower, Zen driving, etc. The fog is a symptom of a greater
problem.

Rock on
Originally Posted by winders
danielyonker,

One of the first things that happens to your body in a "fight or flight" situation is your eyes dilate to let more light in. This is done so you can see more and react to what is going on faster. So, from a physiological point of view, your assertions are incorrect. See this link:

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/...%202008/11.htm

Now, look at this photo:

I can't see a driver wearing a clear visor. They all are wearing visors that are akin to sunglasses.

Squinting can cause fatigue and frontal headaches.

When I raced motorcycles, I always wore a clear visor because I thought it allowed me to see fluid (oil or coolant) on the track more clearly. I did this even though I squinted almost all the time. I was getting some instruction from Jason Pridmore (a pro racer that raced with Mat Mladin on the Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Team in AMA) and he said I was crazy to not wear a smoked visor and pointed that almost all of the AMA racers used some type of light muting visor. He said I would have less eye fatigue and would come off the track feeling more relaxed. He also said it would not impair my ability to see fluid on the track. He was right on all counts. I won't go on the track now with a clear visor.

Your waking up at night example is poor on multiple levels and does not apply. First, you are asleep so your body has to come up to speed, so to speak. Second, it pitch black so just what do you think you are going to see?
I reckon I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing link.
Old 10-22-2014 | 11:43 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Holy Frijoles! OK, no more visor up with the sunglasses for me.
ehhhh. what he said.
Old 10-23-2014 | 03:41 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Holy cr@p Chris! I did not know thi happened. Glad you are OK.

Cheers,
Thanks Duane! Def a sphincter clenching moment...
Old 10-23-2014 | 08:45 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

How about some pictures of peoples blower setups? Are people just using blowers? pipes to the helmet?
Old 10-24-2014 | 02:02 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

The Earnheart crash at Sears Point in the vetted will make you want that visor down. Knocked him out while a fire started. Was bad. Sucks waking up in the middle of flames, but would have sucked more tonnage had your eyes torched while you were out...
Old 10-24-2014 | 10:25 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Quick Reply: Glasses versus visor