Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get some track time over the winter from the Northeast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014 | 12:44 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

Default How to get some track time over the winter from the Northeast?

3-4 (997s, Cayman S, 997 Gt3, 996 GT3) of us from the Allegheny PCA have caught the Track Bug and can't fathom the 4-5 month break till spring next year up here. Why do we live here again? We are not racers - just quick group B's who enjoy having our cars on the track.

We have been deliberating the question that has been discussed a million times i am sure - how to get on track over the winter from the northeast? We have considered HPD Schools and Racing Schools (porsche, bondurant, skip) but would really prefer the PCA club HPDE with our cars and get to know a new track. Not to mention they are a little pricey. We saw the NASA event at Road Atlanta but my experience with a NASA event at mid ohio was pretty hectic and not a ton of instruction that makes me wonder about learning a new track like road atlanta in that context.

Questions for the community -

What race tracks in the southeast should be on our list? Ideally we get an event in during the dead of winter in february. Road atlanta is tops but closes down in december we hear. Is sebring a fun track? We were wondering about the lack of elevation? What others should we look at? What other HPD companies should we look at that might be a little better with instruction than NASA. Did i just have an off experience with NASA - anybody else going to the Road Atlanta NASA event?

We were thinking about hiring a multi car transport and then all driving or flying down. Any experience anyone can share with this scenario - cost, companies, etc.

Thanks for the input all!
Old 10-17-2014 | 01:09 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Chin is at Sebring Dec 13-14. David Murry is at Sebring in Jan. Lots of events to choose from.
Old 10-17-2014 | 01:51 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

There's also the DE at the 48 hours of Sebring. Jan 29th - Feb 1. Running at night is a lot of fun and yes, Sebring is worth the trip. You are not actually on the racing surface for much of the lap so you won't notice that it's flat
Old 10-17-2014 | 02:24 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Road Trip -- there are events in/around Austin throughout the "winter".

Occasionally weather get's sketchy -- but if we're having bad weather --- the eskimos
are out north of us :-)

Alternatively -- studded tires!

Mike
Old 10-17-2014 | 02:39 PM
schao
Intermediate

Here are a few organizations (outside of PCA and BMWCCA) hosting track events in the Southeast/Florida for you to consider:

www.chinmotorsports.com
http://performancedrivinggroup.com
http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooke...region/Florida
http://pbocflorida.com/calendar-2/
http://davidmurry.com/upgrade/index....e.listevents/-
http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=50

For SCCA, you would sign up for their PDX program, which is their term for a DE.

I moved from Northeast a few years ago, and have yet to cross Road Atlanta and Daytona off my list of tracks to go to. But you may want to consider these tracks. Logistically, Barber is about 150 miles west of Road Atlanta; and the Florida tracks from north to south (Daytona, Sebring, PBIR, Homestead) is about 300 miles.

Tier 1
Barber
Road Atlanta
VIR
Sebring

Tier 2
Daytona
Homestead
PBIR
Roebling Road

Good luck planning your trip!

Sherman
Old 10-17-2014 | 04:26 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

yes! thanks gents....we will take a look at this.

Anybody heard of the multi car trailer idea for guys that are not donald trump?
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:02 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damon in Pittsburgh
yes! thanks gents....we will take a look at this. Anybody heard of the multi car trailer idea for guys that are not donald trump?
Spent a lot of time on trailer research recently - issue isn't so much the trailer to carry two cars it's the puller

Def into one ton duallys for suggested truck when you get into the two car pullers
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:17 PM
schao
Intermediate

For multi-car transport and track support, check with Berg Racing out of Rochester, NY. I'm sure they would enjoy a break from winter too!

www.berg-racing.com

Sherman
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:28 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Roebling Road in Pooler, GA, just outside Savannah is a great track. Our Florida Crown PCA club as well as Florida Citrus and others have DEs here. Our next event is Jan 17.

Dave
968 E class
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:38 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

I have transport to and storage at Sebring available. Car prep and maintenace avail in Sebring
Can also transport cars to all Fl tracks and Roebling. Send the car down in Nov bring it back in March Easy peasy PM me for details
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:41 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Alabama PCA will hold our 3rd DE of the year at Barber on December 13, 14 and then another in March 2015.

PBOC Winterfest at Sebring is fantastic in mid-January.

NASA will likely be back for races and DE at Barber in Feb of 2015. In fact there are quite a few track events starting in late Feb.
Old 10-17-2014 | 06:15 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just move south...problem solved.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-17-2014 | 07:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by naroescape
Just move south...problem solved.
Yep, my favorite time of the year to be on track is just getting started
Old 10-17-2014 | 08:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I need December, January and February off for my bank account to recuperate. If I could go to the track year round it might bankrupt me.

That being said I am considering Sebring in January with David Murray.
Old 10-17-2014 | 09:08 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

I delivered my car to sebring last december and it spent all winter spring in the south . best thing i ever did... i stored it in the infield at sebring with destiny racing a great outfit based in geneva ny. they winter down there and do every event possible, DEs, vintage, SVRA, HSR. etc. I ended up doing events with so many organizations: Chin, PBOC, DMTD, HOoKED ON DRIVING, Flatout motorsports, PCA, HSR , SVRA , at literally every venue described in the posts above. simply amazing. i tripled my race day count in one winter in fla, including doing one of the warmup sprint races, and an enduro run by HSR before the Sebring 12 in front of 60,000 people!! ( most of theses people not looking at me but what the hey!) Also earned an HSR competition license ( signed off personally by Dorsey Schroeder!) unbelivable .. i trailered it down there and either destiny or myself took it to the venues, and provided track support. They have a full race shop down there right next to the skip barber shop at sebring. i ended up flying back and forth thru tampa ( to philly) and just left my tow vehicle in long term parking at tampa...so no need to rent a car. on way back in spring i stopped for track days at Daytona, Road Atlanta, Roebling etc.
Give Tom Fitzgerald a call or email at Destiny .. they can hook you up for a fantastic experience in Fla. I am leaving next weekend to deliver the car for the same deal this season. Stopping at road Atlanta first to deliver car to David Murry, who will tote it across to COTA for the Chin event in mid november.

Destiny: https://www.facebook.com/DestinyRacingUSA, http://destinyracingusa.com/
Tom Fitzgerald: 315 729-4070

This is a great bunch of guys dedicated racers and mechanics .. prices are reasonable and there is nothing like having someone look after your car in this fashion..they know these tracks and the system/characters inside and out. They live their at sebring sleeping on cots in the garage full time for the whole winter !!

please pm or email me if you have any questions.. they are building this business from ground up and there is tremendous potential for newcomers.

frank: rauscher@wistar.org

Quick Reply: How to get some track time over the winter from the Northeast?