Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

If you have to ask.....
Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 756 Likes on 374 Posts

This is our home track - we will be there next weekend. I enjoy the track...but it really needs to be completely repaved and probably a few minor safety upgrades added. Not much elevation change and pretty techincal, but easy to learn.

I know a few of the current owners - all PCA members that invested back in the late 90's to get the track open. the comment in the article "...our ownership group is at a different life stage now..." is probably pretty accurate. Most of these guys don't drive much anymore, so there is not much enjoyment of their investment. Plus...like I said the track needs some $$ put into it. So I'm guessing they decided to cash out and hand it over to "the next generation".

With its proximity to Charlotte and extremely low rental price, it does get a lot of Nascar team testing. Plus the go-kart track is top notch. It really is a nice, fun little track we have down here...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw another conversation about this issue and someone pointed out that NASCAR now restricts testing and that another track had closed due to this. I know NASCAR put limits on testing to try to make it harder for big teams to just spend their way to wins, but I'm not sure how that'll affect CMP.

Not my favorite track, but it's close, cheap, safe, and still a track. I hope it continues to be all of that.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I raced there the first week it was open. It was HOT - over 100 degrees, and there was sand all over the track. Even a few inches off-line, and you were sliding all over the place.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Heck, the first time I ran down there was the shareholder's opening weekend. Only the West course was open (turn right at or before start/finish, right again at 10, left at 11, right at 12, 13 and 14, repeat.

Hard on brakes, IIRC...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

This is my home track and even I like to slam it when I'm not there. But every time I do run it I'm nothing but smiles. Sure it's hard on tires and brakes because the pavement is like 100 grit sandpaper. But turns like the carousel at turns 4, 5 and 6, The high-speed on camber turn seven and and getting the kink just right make it all worthwhile. I hope whatever buys it repaves it and keeps it running as it was originally meant to run.

Looking forward to the PCA event there next weekend...
Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CMP is a fun track. That said, the first half is way more fun than the last half. Even after the reconfiguration, the last half leaves a lot to be desired.

But the Kink is a "signature" corner that most similar smaller "club" tracks lack. It is wild and separates the men from the boys, for sure.

And yes, it badly needs a repave.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
I saw another conversation about this issue and someone pointed out that NASCAR now restricts testing and that another track had closed due to this. I know NASCAR put limits on testing to try to make it harder for big teams to just spend their way to wins, but I'm not sure how that'll affect CMP.

Not my favorite track, but it's close, cheap, safe, and still a track. I hope it continues to be all of that.
Wasn't an instructor killed there a while back after a car went into trees?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Yes, between T8 and T10...
Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
CMP is a fun track. That said, the first half is way more fun than the last half. Even after the reconfiguration, the last half leaves a lot to be desired.

But the Kink is a "signature" corner that most similar smaller "club" tracks lack. It is wild and separates the men from the boys, for sure.
Have you driven Road America or Nelson Ledges? IMO, the similar Kink at either of these two is hands-down tougher than CMPs; both are faster, with less safe runoff (particularly at RA).

That said, you are right that CMP isn't a bad club track for small-bore cars. I had a lot of fun there in FF and F500. I'd assume it would be great for shifter karts, too. I'm not sure it would be so cool in something really fast like a sports racer, Atlantic, or GT-1 (Trans Am) car, though - too slow in too many corners, and the straights aren't long enough to get up to full steam.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:20 PM
kurtkrum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a fun track - I'm new to the area so have only been running it for two years. Heck it's only an hour away from home so it's convenient for anyone that lives in Charlotte.

Hope an investor group keeps this place going.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Have you driven Road America or Nelson Ledges? IMO, the similar Kink at either of these two is hands-down tougher than CMPs; both are faster, with less safe runoff (particularly at RA).
Road America yes.
Nelson Ledges no.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the Kink at CMP is more wild and difficult than THE Kink at Road America. Because IMO nothing is...

Quick Reply: Carolina Motorsports Park for sale