Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Six cars DQ'd in SCCA SM National Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014 | 08:24 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Is anyone here really surprised? It's been a LONG time since Spec was in Spec Miata racing. The costs to run a competitive car has gone up steadily since the inception. Cheap and Spec Miata do not belong in the same sentence.
With all due respect, "cheap" and "racing" do not belong in the same sentence. How much is a competitive racing budget? All you have, plus half of next year's budget. A national championship in just about any form of racing - even karts - is a 6-digit annual proposition.
Old 10-18-2014 | 08:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Anyone who thinks that racing any class or series is a level playing field is severely deluded. Money is a always good for a few more seconds off your laptime. Certainly, there are unicorn events but money buys consistency.
Old 10-19-2014 | 09:29 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Anyone who thinks that racing any class or series is a level playing field is severely deluded. Money is a always good for a few more seconds off your laptime. Certainly, there are unicorn events but money buys consistency.
Well Having driven stock Pca Cars against the records, one or two, I own, money does not buy a few seconds at even Watkins Glen's 3.5 mile course. A few HP does not buy seconds even with the best drivers. In Pca there are some that are near Pro level in ability considering they are on the track a 10th of the time. If you think differently than your not driving hard enough.

Bob

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 10-19-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2014 | 10:48 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Well, money at least buys new sticker tires for every race... Since we started this points championship, it's pretty common for some "top" E guys to now use 2 sets of stickers for a three day race weekend, especially if there is a dedicated quali session.
Old 10-19-2014 | 11:10 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Well, money at least buys new sticker tires for every race... Since we started this points championship, it's pretty common for some "top" E guys to now use 2 sets of stickers for a three day race weekend, especially if there is a dedicated quali session.
Well Yes but that is something different. One set may get me to the podium but two has a much better chance. In the twilight on my PCA race career. Two sets for my home tracks LRP and WGlen, WTH.
Old 10-20-2014 | 09:31 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Even though it's "Porsche", Spec 944 racing is much more affordable at both the PCA and NASA levels of racing.
That's because people aren't trying as hard. Outside of true spec classes where parts are sealed and stickered Parity*popularity^3=cost.
Old 10-21-2014 | 09:33 AM
allen_skillicorn
Instructor

NASA Speednews had great article on SpecMiata plunge cuts with great pics, so I posted it on my blog:

http://www.allenskillicorn.com/3354/...e-cut-details/
Old 10-21-2014 | 09:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for posting up the article. I'm sure that will help a lot of people understand exactly what is being discussed.
Old 11-06-2014 | 12:21 AM
mkd944
Racer

The rest of the story... a working group comprised of SCCA, NASA, and Mazda Spec Miata reps has been established to study the plunge cut issue. MazdaSpeed Motorsport sent out an email stating the ultimate goal is to get back to compliant heads but understanding that this will be a major expense for those with non-compliant heads and also recognizing potential parts availability issues, the working group will most likely determine appropriate weight penalties for those with non-compliant heads. It was a very long email that included the history of spec miata racing. I have cut and pasted the relevant (IMO) info below:

The 2014 SCCA National Championship Runoffs was a watershed moment in the history of the Spec Miata class. With so many cars found out of compliance at the front of the field, a working group was established by Mazda, SCCA and NASA leadership to evaluate not just cylinder head rules, but the purpose and long-term goal of the class overall. The group, established by SCCA President Lisa Noble, also includes John Doonan, Steve Sanders and Mike Allen (Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development), John Mueller (NASA), Tony Ave (SCCA Club Racing Board) and Robert Clarke (SCCA Pro Racing/SCCA Inc.).

The group met face-to-face at SCCA's offices in Topeka, Kansas October 30, 2014. Also attending in consultation were: Eric Prill (SCCA), John Bauer (SCCA), Jim Wheeler (SCCA Club Racing Board), Steve Knapp (Elite Engines) and Jim Stewart (Stewart Engines).

Long-term Goal of the working group:
For Spec Miata to be a healthy, growing and economical class across organizations, where a racer can be competitive utilizing a stock Mazda Miata that is enhanced with bolt-on performance parts acquired through Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development.

In achieving that goal, it is important that current participants not be disenfranchised and unreasonably burdened while still making the class attractive to individuals that have either left the class or not engaged in the class due to scope creep away from stock.

The most critical issue in conflict with the long-term goal is with regard to rules that permit modifications to the stock cylinder head and the method with which these are being modified. Current SM rules permit cylinder head modifications beyond the level of more "radical" categories, including, but not limited to, SCCA Production and Super Touring® Lite. It needs to be stated that the heads examined at the Runoffs were modified on varying levels, but each head found out of compliance was in violation of the rules as they are written. Additionally, this is not simply an issue with de-burring, but rather actual smoothing, blending and porting on the sharp edge from the plunge cut.

To achieve the long-term goal, the class must ultimately return to stock cylinder heads with a permitted industry-standard valve job.

Recognizing the number of modified (both compliant and non-compliant per the current rules) cylinder heads in the community, the expense to replace these and potential parts availability concerns, the group agrees to the following path, with details to be finalized no later than the December 14 SCCA Board of Directors meeting:
- Permit plunge cuts and unshrouding per the current rules, but with clarification of concentricity, as well as some level of blending of the plunge cut (language TBA). These modifications may require that additional weight be added to the car.
- Independent testing will be conducted to determine the effect of the individual and collective modifications. Only once this scientific data is collected and evaluated will weight levels be determined.
- Weight additions will compensate for the power gains from the head modifications, while also encouraging the behavior of changing back to an unmodified head as soon as possible.
- The allowance of these modifications will have a sunset period of one to two years, based on parts availability. The intention is for this to happen sooner than later, but with appropriate competitor notification.
- Only un-modified heads would be permitted for competition at the 2015 SCCA National Championship Runoffs.

Additionally, the group unanimously desires greater resources and efforts with regard to season-long compliance checks. Collectively, it is developing an enhanced compliance program to address this. The group will also evaluate class parity and additional concepts to ensure parity and compliance moving forward.

Mike
Old 11-06-2014 | 09:39 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

I was protested once for having my exhaust pipe too long (1"), like this is making any difference. His claim is that he wasn't able to get close enough to my gearbox to affect a pass.
As it turns out i was legal, I didn't have any idea there was a spec for that. he was just sour grapes from loosing. Point is, is that he had always held that protest in his pocket in case i spanked him. He's been stewing on this for years.
On the other side, we put a group of guys in Formula Ford to protest an obvious cheat. He would sand bag on Qually and the shoot past all at the start of the race, with big horsepower. He claimed he bought the engine and had know idea. we put up 2500 for the protest in case he was found legal. It was for rebuilding his engine from being torn down. We got that back! He quit racing and haven't seem him since. IT's all part of the game. racing is mental
I always threw money for race wins. Tires, fuel ect... I have tons of stuff open for interpretation on my car. It's the edge!!

Quick Reply: 1st Six cars DQ'd in SCCA SM National Race