Sponsored by:

Lime Rock advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Great stuff, everyone. Can you guys please post video clips of some of your laps? I'm a visual learner.
Here's a skippy mx-5 race of mine from two years ago. 140hp (I think) and on street tires with deep threads. All passing action done in first 12mins then second half with clean laps though on increasingly greasy tires (tire management) and didn't have to fully push it to keep P1. But you'll get the points. Doing low 1:03's now, btw. Enjoy:

P.S. Straddle the black patch in the middle of No Name straight.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I'm running Yokohama AD08Rs, which are an extreme-performance street tire (not an R-comp). The grip seems decent, and they don't get greasy with extended sessions, but they are VERY sensitive to pressures. When I came off the autocross and skidpad, I lowered my pressures to get them into the correct range for the main track, but after my first session I found they were still a few psi too high. Ideal seems to be 36-37 front and 38-39 rear HOT.
I just started running AD08R's and I'm learning that they like lower pressures than you might think. This blog suggests 32-34 psi hot: http://www.yokohama.com.au/News-and-...ace-tyres.aspx. The sidewall is pretty stiff for a street tire, so the pressures don't need to be as high as with street tires with softer sidewalls.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Here's a skippy mx-5 race of mine from two years ago. 140hp (I think) and on street tires with deep threads. All passing action done in first 12mins then second half with clean laps though on increasingly greasy tires (tire management) and didn't have to fully push it to keep P1. But you'll get the points. Doing low 1:03's now, btw. Enjoy:

http://vimeo.com/51112352

P.S. Straddle the black patch in the middle of No Name straight.
Nice...that looks like a blast !
Old 10-11-2014, 03:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Nice...that looks like a blast !
Yes, it is! I'll be racing in the skippy summer race series finale next weekend at Limerock (Fri and Sat), if anyone is nearby and would like to stop by to check out the atmosphere, the racers, and the organizers/instructors. A great bunch of people all around.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 AM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"1st listen to everything Simon says." and try to find a way to participate in a track walk with him.

The Connecticut Valley Region (CVR) PCA host many events at Lime Rock and their instructors are great. This is their home track and they know it well. The have a couple of events in November.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Paging AnalogMan....!

Everything I know from Lime Rock I learned from AnalogMan and Liverman (RIP my friend ).
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

A key to cut off another half sec will be to disable psm but be very careful as in a car with no aero in west bend and on exit to the straight with safety systems off it is easy enouth to exceed that threshold where car can no longer be steered close enough to apex as front starts to plow and it may not end up well.
AX is a perfect place to learn how PSM effects alter this behavior, i bet it is what you sensed trying to put enouth power to make rear end loose. I am not sure actually if on 991 cars this system can be turned off completely at all like on 996 and 997 cars.
In 997 and i think 991 should not be different you got to learn how to preload front suspension prior to entering every turn by quickly reducing throttle making front grab the track and then going wot again and maintain suspension load while staing on power. I also had bmw before my car and it was quite different . My c2 does 1.02-1.03 laps at lrp and i stopped pushing it further as to be honest i do not have roll cage in a car and to push those limits above certain point gets dangerous.

Best thing for you in a new car - do more AX events, get a very good feel of how to manage weight transfer, how to make car power steer, you may have to do some mods as those 991 cars got way too many nannies to prevent you from been able to do what you are trying your car to do. They set cars from the factory with ton of understeer, so if you did not change stock camber and toe it may be one reason. Active sway bar system may be second reason, on an old car you could simply put on gt3 adjustable sway bars but not on 991. Overall it is still a great car and i bet you will figure it out.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks all for the tips and comments. I managed to get down to 1:02.2 yesterday with SCDA, a full second faster than my previous best. And happy to say it wasn't a fluke--I ran consistent laps in the 1:02s, and my best of 1:02.2 occurred in both the first and second sessions.

Conditions weren't optimal. It was 48° there yesterday, with occasional sprinkles, my Yokohamas are pretty much done, and I had the stock brake pads in. So I'm hoping that a nice, sunny 60° day next spring, a new set of Pagid RS29s, and Pilot Sport Cup 2s will generate even better times.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock advice sought