Sponsored by:

Storage Transport Paddock Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Storage Transport Paddock Insurance

Who do you guys use for this? Is it covered under your normal personal auto policy? Or did you have to go to another insurance company. My insurance company won't cover anything race related.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Hagerty, the cost is not that bad
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

If your car is registered for the street and you have regular car insurance (including what is generally called 'Comprehensive') I'd expect you have coverage for the same perils that the Paddock/Transport/storage policy covers. At least it did for me.
With a car not covered by regular street insurance, I use the Lockton policy offering.
There are numerous alternatives.
One difference to watch out for is the 'key off' exclusion. I wanted the car covered while at the paddock (off the racing surface) such as in and out of the trailer.
A previous policy I had excluded anything happening with the key on. I objected and the retort was 'oh, don't worry, we'll cover damage if it's just from driving around the paddock' but that verbal statement wasn't good enough.
And as with all insurance discussions, remember that how the insurance works in 1 state isn't necessarily how it works in other states.
Hope this helps
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

This car will not be registered for the street. It will only be trailered to the track, raced, and then brought back home (hopefully in one piece!).

Ever hear of Heacock Classic collector car insurance? That's who I talked to today.

I believe the agent I talked to said everything is covered in the paddock area. She didn't mention any 'key off' stipulation. It was called the STP coverage, for storage, transport, and paddock.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Without street auto insurance, STP coverage is what you want. As you noted, it's for damage to the car when stored, being trailered, or in the paddock.
Heacock is well regarded. It's been a couple of years since I looked at their policy. You should ask specifically whether the car is covered while you are driving it on/off the trailer or say from the garage to the trailer, gas pump, or hot pits. And of course get the answer in writing.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick knows! I use Hagerty for STP
Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 AM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

Contact Steve Katz. He's one of us......
http://ontrackinsurance.com/index.aspx
Old 05-21-2017, 01:00 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

So I've read may threads and many websites and am in the midst of the pounding headache it produced, I realized there are many detail oriented guys on this site who've likely already crushed their brains on STP insurance. I could probably replace my car for 50-60K (couldn't build it for that), and I need an STP policy. I have tried to tell the difference between Lockton, haggerty, Heacock, etc. and it's mind numbing. Online Heacock is $300, Haggerty $400, Lockton $550. these are all a drop in the bucket when compared to annual track budget, so trying to decide if there's a reason to pick one over the others.

So has anybody dug into STP an come up with a reason why one is better than the others? If someone's done this work, I'm more than glad to take the results of their research.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:56 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you are covered when you are towing on the road while transporting not only in the paddock . Last time I checked Haggerty it only insured in the paddock not while driving. I went with Lockton.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 PM
HagertyHPDE
Cruisin'

Quick clarification on Hagerty's Limited Trailer and Paddock Collision Endorsement - this does cover your car while being transported on a trailer...see info below, and check it out at https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance

Our Limited Trailer and Paddock (LTP) coverage* will protect your race car:
In the trailer -- while in transit and loading and unloading
In the paddock
While in storage or at the shop
From theft, fire, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and more
Everywhere but on the track or while racing
Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

This ^
Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

for what it's worth - I talked to Hagerty about both STP and HPDE ins.

for STP (their LTP) - they said specifically it's Key off coverage for the paddock. they will cover loading and unloading, but no movement in the pits.

I asked about definitions/requirements around "Storage." there is some technicality around where it is stored. specifically, if get lazy and left the car in my trailer and something happened, I don't really feel confident it would be covered. when I asked the question, she asked "well is your trailer teathered to anything? so maybe a peril would be covered but not theft. she could not answer definitively.

All that said, they are almost half of Lockton's price

as for HPDE - she said she really did not know anything about it because it was provided on the website, but was through a different company. She said they don't train her on outside products.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8fun
for what it's worth - I talked to Hagerty about both STP and HPDE ins.

for STP (their LTP) - they said specifically it's Key off coverage for the paddock. they will cover loading and unloading, but no movement in the pits.

I asked about definitions/requirements around "Storage." there is some technicality around where it is stored. specifically, if get lazy and left the car in my trailer and something happened, I don't really feel confident it would be covered. when I asked the question, she asked "well is your trailer teathered to anything? so maybe a peril would be covered but not theft. she could not answer definitively.

All that said, they are almost half of Lockton's price

as for HPDE - she said she really did not know anything about it because it was provided on the website, but was through a different company. She said they don't train her on outside products.
If my memory is correct, a requirement of my STP from Hagerty is that the car is stored in a locked garage.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

final update - after talking to all 3 companies, I did not find significant difference in coverage (I'm not an insurance professional, so any differences may be lost in language of the trade). Hagerty was the least expensive and I felt best about their language. It really did not say "key off" anywhere and once I got the policy the language was more liberal than the agent on the phone let me to believe. here is the language in the policy regarding collision:

Limited Trailer and Paddock Collision Coverage
We will pay for direct and accidental loss to “your covered auto” described above or
on the declarations, minus any applicable deductible shown above or on the Declarations, when
such loss is caused by “collision”. "Collision" means the upset or impact of "your covered auto"
with another object.
Coverage applies, during the dates indicated above or on the declarations, while “your covered
auto” is:
1. transported by trailer from one location to another.
2. loaded and unloaded from the trailer.
3. driven to and from the trailer to the paddock or show display area.
4. on display in the race facility’s paddock area or a specified show display area.

Quick Reply: Storage Transport Paddock Insurance